Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Default Wild Boar hunting at Hogwild Specialities in Mayerthorpe

I wonder if anybody on this forum has hunted these farmed wild hogs. I would like to know if it's a fun experience for a newbie like myself.

http://www.hogwild.ab.ca/hunting.htm

I am intrigued by the fact that for 600 bucks I can get a guaranteed first kill. Is this a good way to get initiated into hunting?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Depends what your looking for to get initiated into hunting? Most peoples first animals are deer and its usually something small. If you have 600 bucks to burn and are ok shooting a penned animal than yeah why not. Its not going to teach you the fundamentals of working the wind, setting stands,and gaining permission. If not you should be able to kill some deer for 600 bucks in fuel and have a great reward knowing you did this on your own.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 PM

Default Are you sure you are interested in hunting?

It sounds alot like you are interested in shooting and killing.

Hunting is way more than the shoot-kill part.

You also need to be ready to deal with whatever happens after the shot. Gutting, skinning and butchering.

Did I just feed a troll?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 PM

Isn't shooting and killing the whole point? I like getting out and about but nobody likes getting skunked and an empty freezer.
Of one who has done well
Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocker038 View Post
Isn't shooting and killing the whole point? I like getting out and about but nobody likes getting skunked and an empty freezer.
doesnt bother me inthe slightest not to shoot something. My time in the field is more important than the kill.

I kill in order to have hunted, I dont hunt in order to kill
Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 AM

Hunted theree a few times and it was a blast! Came home with a pig every time. and the sows taste better than the bores but they are both very good eating!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
It sounds alot like you are interested in shooting and killing.

Hunting is way more than the shoot-kill part.

You also need to be ready to deal with whatever happens after the shot. Gutting, skinning and butchering.

Did I just feed a troll?
Nope, you did not feed the troll. I went out for a deer many times this past season and I was unsucessfull. I did see one whitetail but couldn't shoot it because of its position in regards to a township road.

Learning gutting, skinning, and butchering skills are exactly the reasons why I am looking at this option.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 AM

Why do they call it wild boar hunting when they're captive? Kind of contradictory if you ask me. It's boar shooting, potentially hunting depending on the size of the property, but 'wild' isn't part of the equation. Hope his fencing is really well maintained. They'd best keep trees well back of the fencing as well so deadfall doesn't create an escape path. I would imagine this is already the case though, I hope.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 AM

LIR, ignore all the hero comments on here about what real hunting is in these guys minds. Every hunt you go on doesn't have to be 10 days of stalking in the mountains with a bow to be considered a real hunt.

I've done this hunt and it is a great time. You pay Earl extra and you can have him cook up the pig on a spit for you too.

For all the guys that don't think this is a real hunt you've probably never had a boar with an arrow in it charging you. They've had a few good injuries out there with guys getting sliced open by a tusk.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Banned

LIR...if you are cool with paid hunting, go do it and have fun. if you want some help with a deer next fall, send me a pm. ill give you a guarantee that we can put you in front of one....no guarantees from there though.....
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammer View Post
LIR, ignore all the hero comments on here about what real hunting is in these guys minds. Every hunt you go on doesn't have to be 10 days of stalking in the mountains with a bow to be considered a real hunt.

I've done this hunt and it is a great time. You pay Earl extra and you can have him cook up the pig on a spit for you too.

For all the guys that don't think this is a real hunt you've probably never had a boar with an arrow in it charging you. They've had a few good injuries out there with guys getting sliced open by a tusk.
Yah...because if there isn't a risk of personal harm then it just aint real hunting.... I shot a 300ish lbs feral russian boar a few years back. Didn't have to pay a dime...just gas money and 1 reloaded bullet. Had the skull cleaned at a taxi for about $100 though.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-24-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yah...because if there isn't a risk of personal harm then it just aint real hunting.... I shot a 300ish lbs feral russian boar a few years back. Didn't have to pay a dime...just gas money and 1 reloaded bullet. Had the skull cleaned at a taxi for about $100 though.

LC
There is a chance of personal injury on every hunt… what Rammer is getting at that these aren’t just some penned in friendly little piggy’s… and its not some hunt you just walk up and shoot…
Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
There is a chance of personal injury on every hunt… what Rammer is getting at that these aren’t just some penned in friendly little piggy’s… and its not some hunt you just walk up and shoot…
My comment was "tongue in cheek" .....to be fair they are in a fenced encolsure....not free roaming. The one I shot was truly feral and the farmer had them coming into his cattle feed in the mornings ripping stuff up...got mine just after first light...130gr Sierra Gameking right behind the front shoulder @ 80yrds....no exit, found bullet on the off side hide when skinning. Hit him in the heart he stood on his hind legs and fell over backwards.....wish I had a video.

LC
Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 AM

I think Lefty is just happy he got the opportunity to show of his boar skull.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
My comment was "tongue in cheek" .....to be fair they are in a fenced encolsure....not free roaming. The one I shot was truly feral and the farmer had them coming into his cattle feed in the mornings ripping stuff up...got mine just after first light...130gr Sierra Gameking right behind the front shoulder @ 80yrds....no exit, found bullet on the off side hide when skinning. Hit him in the heart he stood on his hind legs and fell over backwards.....wish I had a video.

LC
Yeah my comment was more for the OP… not to get every detail about your hog hunt
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 AM

If their not penned up critters you walk up and shoot, how does the hunt have a gauranteed 100% success rate? I'm not saying there's anything wrong this. But the original poster is feeling defeated not harvesting anything. Shooting a penned boar isn't going to make deer come to you your next hunt. If he's doing this for a different experience well that's great. But if he's expecting this to make him a better hunter he's going about this wrong. He's way better off to get mentored by someone and get shown the ropes.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
Yeah my comment was more for the OP… not to get every detail about your hog hunt
....wrong side of the bed I see....

LC
Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy_6363 View Post
I think Lefty is just happy he got the opportunity to show of his boar skull.
Isn't a forum all about sharing

To the OP....getting a hog is fun, find someone to prep your hams and bacon for you. Save the skull and get it cleaned.....would make a great memory. The folks in Mayerthorpe offer a service if you want to take advantage of it have at it!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-24-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Why do they call it wild boar hunting when they're captive? Kind of contradictory if you ask me. It's boar shooting, potentially hunting depending on the size of the property, but 'wild' isn't part of the equation. Hope his fencing is really well maintained. They'd best keep trees well back of the fencing as well so deadfall doesn't create an escape path. I would imagine this is already the case though, I hope.
There are actually more then 20,000 wild ones running around up there last I heard, and that was quite a few years ago. I cant quite remember the whole story but back in the eaerly 80's a farmer released his russian wild boars Due to financial problems I think if I remember right. As far as I know the hog wild guys dont have high fences or anything of the like, they just have there boys out there all the time and they know where the hogs are. But i Know there is a wild population iv seen em running around never got a chance at a shot, but iv seen em
Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
There are actually more then 20,000 wild ones running around up there last I heard, and that was quite a few years ago. I cant quite remember the whole story but back in the eaerly 80's a farmer released his russian wild boars Due to financial problems I think if I remember right. As far as I know the hog wild guys dont have high fences or anything of the like, they just have there boys out there all the time and they know where the hogs are. But i Know there is a wild population iv seen em running around never got a chance at a shot, but iv seen em
Place is definately fenced in.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I think you better re-check your facts partner.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 AM
grind stone

Default Happy Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIR View Post
I wonder if anybody on this forum has hunted these farmed wild hogs. I would like to know if it's a fun experience for a newbie like myself.

http://www.hogwild.ab.ca/hunting.htm

I am intrigued by the fact that for 600 bucks I can get a guaranteed first kill. Is this a good way to get initiated into hunting?
If you want to experience a pig hunt for 600 bucks go four it it’s your time and money have fun don’t worried what the next person thinks about it.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 AM

I dont know if i would personally consider this a "hunt". It does however look very fun. I hunt deer around that area and have driven by the farm a couple times. There are some really big pigs in there. Its your call though buddy. Let us know how it goes if you end up gong out. Another thing to keep in mind is there is also a lot of pigs in that area that have escaped from that farm and are now running wild. Maybe try getting some permission in the surrounding area and save some money. just a thought though.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Isn't a forum all about sharing

LC
i thought so. gotta be careful though....for some there seems to be a limit where too much turns into bragging. that limit seems to vary a lot from poster to poster.

cool looking skull though. is that the one you said was beetle cleaned? those sinuses seems pretty well intact. sometimes the pressure washer breaks them up a bit.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 AM

We did it for a stag party, stayed at his cabin all weekend!!! Everyone had an absolute blast, everyone also took a very nice hog!!! Earl is definitely a top notch guy and I would recommend this to anyone, they taste amazing!!!
We also paid extra and shot a little 30 pounder and had him cook it on the roaster for is, simply amazing!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i thought so. gotta be careful though....for some there seems to be a limit where too much turns into bragging. that limit seems to vary a lot from poster to poster.

cool looking skull though. is that the one you said was beetle cleaned? those sinuses seems pretty well intact. sometimes the pressure washer breaks them up a bit.
Yuppers those little creatures do a great service.

LC
Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
LIR...if you are cool with paid hunting, go do it and have fun. if you want some help with a deer next fall, send me a pm. ill give you a guarantee that we can put you in front of one....no guarantees from there though.....
Very Comenable of you to help a fellow Outdoorsman conect on a Hunt and as far as the Boar Hunting goes if you want to learn butchering guting skinning it will be well worth the money and proably fairily fun as well
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM

hey man, To the OP, GO FOR IT! Anytime out away from the city and video games is going to fuel a persons fire for hunting and the outdoors. I haven't done this hunt but I would, even though I have hunted successfully for 15 yrs now. I have helped train a few new hunters and let me just say for newcomers, every little bit helps and will be exciting whether "penned" aggressive animals or wild free roaming deer.

Some ppl on AO (1%)are much better than the rest of us and would never ever kill an animal unless they spent thousands of dollars and weeks scaling hundres or miles of mountains for their one shot (and would never shoot does or cows) but for the rest of us(99%), It's all good and fun and morally ok. Do it. It's gonna be fun. I have heard nothing but good things about the establishment. I have read on thier site that they release a few boars onto a fenced in quarter section of tree'd land which is a good amount of land for any kind of hunt so good luck and have fun!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkynuts View Post
Very Comenable of you to help a fellow Outdoorsman conect on a Hunt and as far as the Boar Hunting goes if you want to learn butchering guting skinning it will be well worth the money and proably fairily fun as well
I didn't overlook that kind comment, and sent him a message.

I definitely appreciate the positive feedback in here, and am sold on the boar hunt.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 PM

Just wanted to add after Reading Drakes post that, I don't think its creepy at all how you phrased things. It just sounds to me like your interested and don't have a great experienced mentor right now to teach you how to get it done. Go pop your cherry and find out if you have the stomach for it then come on back and ask as many questions as you want. The problem with the online forums is you will face alot of unjustified judgement so just try to bear through that because You will get alot of great useful info too. Just take the good and ignore the bad. pm me if you have anymore questions you just want positive feedback to.