Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Default To kill a big Antelope.

There have been some guys on here in the past that have went south for pronghorn hunts. How did ya make out, what did ya see etc, if ya dont mind sharing. Im primarily interested in guys and areas that have the potential to produce big goats, 78 inch plus caliber stuff, but any info would be great, thanks boys.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
There have been some guys on here in the past that have went south for pronghorn hunts. How did ya make out, what did ya see etc, if ya dont mind sharing. Im primarily interested in guys and areas that have the potential to produce big goats, 78 inch plus caliber stuff, but any info would be great, thanks boys.
Huh , what, who,when,where, and how !!! Im confused!!! You gotta be up to something!!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM

We were done by genner AB a couple years ago and were gifted enough to take two bucks over the 74 inch mark
Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_Tine View Post
Huh , what, who,when,where, and how !!! Im confused!!! You gotta be up to something!!
LOL, ya its called big antelope fever. I should be more precise when saying south, meant south of the border, sorry boys.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 PM

Never hunted their but been their lots and seen some absolute monster speed goats... Yavapai county AZ.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL, ya its called big antelope fever. I should be more precise when saying south, meant south of the border, sorry boys.
Not sure what unit, but Arizona or new Mexico are where you want to go. Antelope to us up here are like whitetail to most states, we get excited over antelope bucks that are average size down there, just like some American hunters get excited over whitetail bucks many of us wouldn't even look at through the binos.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 PM

I have a couple friends that live in Wyoming, they have taken some huge goats in the Red Desert area out by Rawlins.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM

New mexico. Arizona is probly better for a chance at a 90 inch goat but you'd better bring your Americian Express card...lol

pronghornguideservice.com/
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 PM

so a buck like this ???00540024.jpg
Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 PM

If DIY is what you are after, Wyoming certainly does the trick.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 PM

New Mexico from all the outfitter, etc that I've seen is your best bet for a consistent 80"+ antelope. Seems if you're looking for top end stuff it produces.

As Duk just posted....Wyoming is a great DIY option with some giants around if you can pick through all them buggers and keep your finger off the trigger from what I've heard...

Mounting up that 88" buck it was pretty crazy to actually handle a set of horns like that.....man they are HUGE compared to a 75" buck....
Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
New Mexico from all the outfitter, etc that I've seen is your best bet for a consistent 80"+ antelope. Seems if you're looking for top end stuff it produces.

As Duk just posted....Wyoming is a great DIY option with some giants around if you can pick through all them buggers and keep your finger off the trigger from what I've heard...

Mounting up that 88" buck it was pretty crazy to actually handle a set of horns like that.....man they are HUGE compared to a 75" buck....

Hey what are you trying to say
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
Hey what are you trying to say
Haha...you've got a bigger goat than me!!! That 88" is a PIG....compared to about 97% of all those other antelope shot all over the place every year!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Haha...you've got a bigger goat than me!!! That 88" is a PIG....compared to about 97% of all those other antelope shot all over the place every year!
Yup true there definitely are a ton of goats out there. I only lasted about 10 hours but next time I won't be so quick! It's easy and fun down there, if you had a few days I'm sure you could find a 78" goat or better.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 PM

New Mexico and Arizona if you wanna pay..

Wyoming if you want to DIY for not a lot of money and chance at a great trophy..

80 inch bucks are very obtainable and mid 80s is not out of the question..

3 years to draw the best units in the state. Lots of good leftover tag units to keep you busy in the meantime.

We hunted a leftover unit 3 years ago and a top desert unit last year. With a bit more time,a little luck and longer range guns are results would have been quite a bit better I think..

In the end we filled 5/6 tags and passed on lots of bucks 77 to just under 80.

In two trips we probably seen 10 80 inch plus bucks,couple booners and 1 maybe two mid 80 gross bucks..

Made 1 oops kill and had a couple missed shots. In the end we filled our tags with 70,77,80, 80 1/2 and 82.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 PM

Whoa...I didn't even know they got that big!

thx for posting the pix. I'm still climbing up the priority pole for mine.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 PM

Going down to Buffalo wyoming for a bow hunt aug 21 Outfitter was 100% succesful with bowhunters last year They say within a 50 mile radius of Sheridan is highest concentration of antelope in world

Gord
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 AM

New Mexico will be the place im gonna try from what i have seen .
Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Thanks for all the info boys. BBear, I was hopeing youd drop in. Those are awesome antelope man. I guess Im looking at hopefully a one time deal (limited budget with kids), and as much as I want to chase other species, even just to take a small or avg representative, I have found it increasingly difficult to rest lately. I want to hunt antelope, and I want to be looking at big stuff while Im doing it. I cant rest till I have a good one I guess. Guided I am not opposed to, would prefer it. Again I want to look at the biggest stuff, and I dont want to have to camp out in the pickup solo for 3 months with my spotting scope to do it, its not practical and there are people that have spent that time, its worth paying for I think. Ive been looking at various Wyoming outfitters, its cost effective, but no one in thier pictures seems to be able to produce anything even remotely the caliber what Im looking for, save one or two antelope pics in x number years of doing it. I dont want a baby antelope, I live in alberta and have had to look at our supposed 3.5 and 4.5 year old monsters LOL. I see what Pronghorn G Service is taking out of Wyoming, but they are looking at some ground. They have stats to prove unlike other guys, and that would be comforting knowing they didnt just load a guy up and go look for an antelope. 3 Days to play and basically being on a big scouting trip might have the potential to plumb fry all my upstairs wiring.
You say 3 years to draw that premium desert tag BB. Just how good is Wyoming boys, and what would your minimum expectations be if you were guided, having on some level seen whats there and having produced big stuff? Is there anyone in particular that a guy would want to talk to?

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 01-31-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 AM

Saw a 21 incher or more in Reno Nevada on the wall actually at Pyramid Lake in the Natives Store.. some nice ones in Alberta to Manyberries area saw a couple in close to the ranch houses that would go Book but wife said i could hubby hummed and hawed then said no could not hunt there.. sooooo cloosed to getting a book goat as the window mounted spotting scope at 150 yards made him look so big!!!!

The Alberta record 87 was at Sage creek area which is where i took my goat at 77 B & C

BTW very nice Bucks
David
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Going down to Buffalo wyoming for a bow hunt aug 21 Outfitter was 100% succesful with bowhunters last year They say within a 50 mile radius of Sheridan is highest concentration of antelope in world

Gord
That is accurate, heard the same.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Before our big winter kill i dont think i would leave alberta to hunt ..other than the wait time to get drawn i feel if you did your home work the chances of being successful with a very respectful Antelope i think were pretty good.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 AM

heres mine from a couple years ago...not huge but for the first one ill take it..we never went far south just 166..best one we could find. their isnt lots to choose from

Last edited by bezner; 08-31-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM

Try here Pack . My buddy from Idaho has been twice on a handicapped hunt and taken 2 goats over 80

www.nmtrophyhunts.com/
Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I have found it increasingly difficult to rest lately. I want to hunt antelope, and I want to be looking at big stuff while Im doing it. I cant rest till I have a good one I guess.
It’s about as addicting as Cocaine hey……

Pack, I wouldn’t honestly book a outfitter in WY. Look at the stats. Most WY outfitters offer 2 or 3 day hunts with 100% success. With this offering I would think that they average 74”. I know of over 12 guys who have done a guided hunt in WY and not one of them has killed larger than a 76” antelope. With the short hunt I don’t think you get the chance to kill a big one. Plus they are moving guys through fairly quick like a grocery store check out. I think that if a person with your antelope knowledge was to take 7-10 days and go on a DIY hunt that you will come home with a bigger goat.

Now if you wanna spend $8G then I would recommend booking a hunt with Pronghorn Guide Service and take a cranker. Then again its $8G. For that money you could do a guided Muskox hunt and a DIY WY antelope hunt. On the topic of Pronghorn Guide Service they have a couple DVDs with big antelope on them. I know you know how to judge and field score antelope, so that part of the DVD isn’t really important, but it’s still cool to see those 85” + antelope. It’s called “Size is everything.” If you look around online you can usually pick it up for under $20.

As far as drawing in WY sure it takes 4 years to draw what some would call the best zone or zones, but then again I know someone on here who took a 82” goat out zone that had under subscribed tags.

Just my thoughts

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM

The one kicker for you Pack is WY went to a points system which is now about 5 or so years into it. That makes getting into one of the "premier" zones tough - but like BB416 has proven with a bit of homework you can find some sleeper zones or ones with surplus tags available. Doing your research and speaking with F&G in WY can be a very educational process to help you decide where to look and go.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 01-31-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Wow thanks for the info boys. Im pickin up what your layin down Rocky. Huge benefits to going that route, cost is prohibitive no matter who you are. The deeper I get the tougher in appearance it gets. A buddy got a heads up for me this morning from a buddy of his on THE zone to apply for, but after just looking at maps etc on Wyoming Game and Fish and seeing limited tags, there is no wonder what is in the zone, and just how long a process getting a tag will be. Its looking mighty tough to get a premium tag now alright Duk, and may have to do exactly what BB did. It would be awesome to get afew guys in and on this hunt, depending on what a guy learns in the next bit on this, the other option is to wonder if a guy should drop the cash and go kill a hog on a 3 day hunt. I like the idea of cost effective fun group hunt, and not missing any of the elements that make up a hunt, so may just decide to get down there in a lesser area and get busy. I sure do believe there are rocker goats out there in easier areas to get a tag, question is, is killing a good one doable for an out of stater non res, realistically speaking. We all know that BB guy is a machine, he makes everything look easy!!

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 01-31-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM

count me in pack, I will come on down with you. Its that or wait 5 more years for an alberta goat
Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM

MY 80in er shot southern alberta
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old pictures#5 3183.jpg (37.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 PM

Pack, this may seem like a bit of a investment right now, but if you are serious about doing this spend $150 and join The Huntin Fool.
You will learn more from these guys than you can and 1000 hours on the internet. Money well spent!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner