Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 PM

Question Hypoallergenic hunting dog breeds

Hi all, I have been looking for a hunting companion for some time now. Sadly my wonderful girlfriend is allergic to to most dogs.I was wondering if you guys know of any specific hypoallergenic breeds and breeders (other than Poodles) that would make a good dog for our family. I have grown up around Border collies, Aussies, Labs, St. Bernards, Wolfhounds and Chessies.

As of now the breed I am considering is a Hungarian Vizsla. I would Love to find a allergy friendly bird hunting partner that I could actually bring in the house!

I know there are a lot of dog lovers on this site and I would love to hear Your Opinions!!

Some of the requirements would be,

Good with children

Intelligent

relatively agile (as we do a lot of exploring)

Good with other pets/Livestock

and of course hypoallergenic
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Gone Hunting

I'd try a standard poodle.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 PM

Yeah, thought poodles or dogs with strains of poodle were hypoallergenic. Labradoodle(sp?) perhaps?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:25 PM

http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/0...llergenic-dog/
http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-breeds...-dog-myth.aspx

I believe that there are some dogs that are easier for a person who has allergies to be in contact with but as far as the 100% hypoallergenic dog? Nope, they don't exist.

The reactions to certain dog breeds are mostly dependent upon the person who suffers the allergies. Two things could happen, either prolonged exposure will make the allergies worse or prolonged exposure will build up a level of immunity to the allergen causing the allergy.

Dogs who shed less, are usually less offensive to a person with allergies to the dander and saliva. Same for dogs who drool less and produce less saliva - they usually produce less allergens.

Dogs that can be clipped short and bathed regularly can stave off allergies while some breeds with longer hair and don't shed their coats to the degree that a double coat dog would do might not cause the same level of allergens to set off a reaction.

I always recommend that no matter what breed, to have a groomer do a sani-clip around their nether regions to prevent urine from sticking to the fur and causing more allergens. Same goes for the person with the allergies, handwashing after handling the dog can help.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Default another vote for standard poodle

hard to find the good ones but I have been pleasantly surprized by the birdiness and intelligence of the two or three I have had here over the years.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post

I believe that there are some dogs that are easier for a person who has allergies to be in contact with but as far as the 100% hypoallergenic dog? Nope, they don't exist.

The reactions to certain dog breeds are mostly dependent upon the person who suffers the allergies. Two things could happen, either prolonged exposure will make the allergies worse or prolonged exposure will build up a level of immunity to the allergen causing the allergy.

Dogs who shed less, are usually less offensive to a person with allergies to the dander and saliva. Same for dogs who drool less and produce less saliva - they usually produce less allergens.

Dogs that can be clipped short and bathed regularly can stave off allergies while some breeds with longer hair and don't shed their coats to the degree that a double coat dog would do might not cause the same level of allergens to set off a reaction.

I always recommend that no matter what breed, to have a groomer do a sani-clip around their nether regions to prevent urine from sticking to the fur and causing more allergens. Same goes for the person with the allergies, handwashing after handling the dog can help.
Any breed and specific dog we consider bringing home will get regular visits for a few weeks to see if there's any reaction before we commit.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post

No such thing as a 100% hypoallergenic dog but there are dogs that tend to cause less people problems.
It is usually the dander or undercoat that causes people problems.
I'd look to dogs that have hair rather than fur... poodles and terriers....or short hair breeds that don't produce as much dander.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:03 PM

Default portugese water dog

My cousin in n.s. breeds them they are great indoors and don't shed, great in the water. They have bird dog instincts. Check them out.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:23 PM

Sniff test a few breeds if you can, my allergies seem to be pretty breed specific, anything lab was out, we figure anything on the oily side. But we found one and went and played with the pup for an hour or so , I did everything I could to trigger a reaction and nothing happened allergies did not flare.

The wire hairs are supposed to be decent as well

Wire haired pointing griffons
pudelpointers (not to be mistaken for labradoodle mutts)

But it is definitively worth it to get contact with a few breeds and test.

There are lots of great breeds out there that meet your general requirements, finding the fit with the allergy will take some digging.

The one I found is a Large Munsterlander but I suspect just about anything spaniel could have worked for me. The LM is sort of oddball so a Brittany maybe
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

X2 for the porch a goose water dog. The ones I know are great with kids too...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 PM

X3 , got to watch a few at Hunt tests last year, a pleasure to watch, were all master dogs actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
hard to find the good ones but I have been pleasantly surprized by the birdiness and intelligence of the two or three I have had here over the years.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 PM
diffdrum

Default hypo allergenic

X3 on hypoallergenic not existing. Been an allergy sufferer and asthma sufferer all my life.The dander and all the other crap there coats attract is the problem. Do your girlfriend a favor and dont bother.

Last edited by diffdrum; 04-04-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: oops
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.hunter View Post
My cousin in n.s. breeds them they are great indoors and don't shed, great in the water. They have bird dog instincts. Check them out.
They are great looking dogs to.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM

We have an American Eskimo and an American Eskimo/Kees hound cross.. Mainly because I'm the allergic one but havnt had any issue with either. The American Eskimo has been an amazing companion. She loves trails/quadding/fishing/mud/ and is so super excited whenever we head into the trees.

My dog is the only sure thing when I head outdoors. She never heads out of sight and is the first to sound off when something gets close.. But that's the way we trained her. We have 3 kids and have never had an issue.. Smart, kind and truly the best friend I could have asked for in a pet. This is the 2nd A.Eskimo I've had and I'll never change breeds since they both were stellar dogs..
Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffdrum View Post
X3 on hypoallergenic not existing. Been an allergy sufferer and asthma sufferer all my life.The dander and all the other crap there coats attract is the problem. Do your girlfriend a favor and dont bother.

Well she currently has a ****zu bijon cross and has no issues with him. He's a nice little dog but not much of a retriever lol
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedfisherman View Post
Hi all, I have been looking for a hunting companion for some time now. Sadly my wonderful girlfriend is allergic to to most dogs.I was wondering if you guys know of any specific hypoallergenic breeds and breeders (other than Poodles) that would make a good dog for our family. I have grown up around Border collies, Aussies, Labs, St. Bernards, Wolfhounds and Chessies.

As of now the breed I am considering is a Hungarian Vizsla. I would Love to find a allergy friendly bird hunting partner that I could actually bring in the house!

I know there are a lot of dog lovers on this site and I would love to hear Your Opinions!!

Some of the requirements would be,

Good with children

Intelligent

relatively agile (as we do a lot of exploring)

Good with other pets/Livestock

and of course hypoallergenic
So many reasons why it's hard to beat a Vizsla...allergies are only one. I am allergic to dogs and my Vizsla and the one before here sleep in bed with me.(after being crate trained, of course) However, it may be dependent upon "how" allergic the person is to dogs.

However, there is a reason they are called the"Velcro" dog. They do not do well being left alone all day with their ppl at work. They are not a kennel breed. If you're outside, that's where they want to be, if you're inside they want to be there.

Intellegent? Only one dog ever has obtained 5 different championships...a Vizsla. Multiple titles on V's are common including Obedience and field.

Agile? They love agiility trials. You hunt them all day off hoseback, so there's no lack of energy, which also means they do need excercise. A large yard is enough, but one hr runs everyday are the best.

Hunting? They are considered a "versatile" and will retrieve from water, track and by far their best...Pointing. For most it is a natural ability, although they need training just like any other gun dog. Hunting upland with a V or any other pointer is a true joy.

Puppy classes and further if you are so inclined will insure there social behavior with other dogs.

Now: Beware...V breaders have guarded the breed viciousley for years and protected the breed from "EBAY" muttilation. However recently, there have been two so-called breeders show up in western Canada that sell on ebay or anywhere else. Choose a reputable breeder..they will have records of tests, hips, elbows, eyes, etc and will not breed an animal that does not come back good/excellent on all counts.

They will also be very guarded as to where they place any of their pups. V's can be a handful so placement to a good breeder is very important. Most do temperament tests and in my experience these tests are very accurate and help the breeder place the pup in the right home.

Last year some folks here came to my house to meet my girl before they made a decission.(The lady was also allergic to dogs). Just last Monday I met their boy Jasper at a day care in St Albert. All legs and attitude at this stage, but a great looking boy. They are happy with their choice.

By the way, V's have absolutly no "dog smell".

Children. They tend to adopt children as their own and can be quite protective of them....and I've seen them actually heard small children at times. My wife does the "day home" thing and the babies all love "Their Kati".

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 04-05-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldone View Post
We have an American Eskimo and an American Eskimo/Kees hound cross.. Mainly because I'm the allergic one but havnt had any issue with either. The American Eskimo has been an amazing companion. She loves trails/quadding/fishing/mud/ and is so super excited whenever we head into the trees.

My dog is the only sure thing when I head outdoors. She never heads out of sight and is the first to sound off when something gets close.. But that's the way we trained her. We have 3 kids and have never had an issue.. Smart, kind and truly the best friend I could have asked for in a pet. This is the 2nd A.Eskimo I've had and I'll never change breeds since they both were stellar dogs..
But doesn't sound llike a hunting dog.

I commend everyone for their helpfulness and civility. None of the usual "Get rid of the girlfirned! Ditch her!" comments we see from those members whose luck with the opposite sex has been less than stellar LOL
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 AM

Irish water spaniel is good choice for agility, retrieving skills along with a non-shedding coat. They are a good breed for having kids around. Quite smart and easy to train. These dogs do drool a bit so if the allergy stems from saliva, they may cause a problem.

Bouvier des Flanders is also a good breed for low shedding coats. Not so much a hunting breed but good at agility and herding. Easily trained, can be a bit intense with their commands and good with kids (but their size can knock a little one down -so very young kids could get hurt from being knocked over).

I find most people with "dog allergies" actually have never been tested and are lumping in their allergies into one allergen. Has your girlfriend had tests done to determine what it is she is actually allergic to in a dog? She could be allergic to dust mites or other allergens that are going to affect what breed you can get.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
But doesn't sound llike a hunting dog.

I commend everyone for their helpfulness and civility. None of the usual "Get rid of the girlfirned! Ditch her!" comments we see from those members whose luck with the opposite sex has been less than stellar LOL
It is refreshing to see the mature attitude. I was gonna suggest swimming lessons and FF for the girlfriend, Then they would be able to spend more quality time together doing stuff most guys do to get away from their other.

I'm kidding. shessh.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Default Do your home work

delete

Last edited by cover; 04-05-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM

The Vizsla is a great hunter. Upland or Ducks , and they will run rabbits like a long leg Beagle. They are not to fond of swiming in ice water, but will do it.Ours retrieved from the Bay of Funday in January, but refused to make 2 trips if we didn't have a shore fire burning for him to warm up by. LOL
The bad side is they can be very Hyper, or in other words crazy as hell at times.Go in the yard for 2 minutes and come back inside, the Vizsla we had acted like you had been gone for a week. Talk about a loving welcome. back, but remember it was only 2 minutes.
They are easy to train, and respond very well to a scolding look when they do wrong. They love to please, and like a gentle hand.
Great hunters, great disposition, wonderfull with kids, just very Hyper,and super energetic, and that can be a handfull.
They will lie contently by your feet , untill you move, and the sleeping dog springs to life at your slightest hint of geting up or leaving the room. Bring out a gun and they will stick to you like velcro untill you put it away, or put him in the truck.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Default do your home work

A few to check out

1. Irish Water spaniel
2. American Water spaniel
3. www.redhuntingpoodles.com
4. wirehaired breeds ie. german wirehair , spinone , wirehaired pointing griffon ,
the rare ceskey fousek (www.ancientkennels.com ) ,pudelpointer
(www.pudelpointer.org ) , wirehaired viszla .

Last edited by cover; 04-05-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM

I'm allergic to almost everything and have own a pudelpoint for the past 12 year with no problem.

Great breed, great hunter, will retrieve and swim until completely exhausted, great around the house, and extremely loyal.

PM if you have any questions.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Smile Pudelpointer

My son has one and his wife is allergic to most animals but she and the dog get along great. We have one too and she baby sits ours with no problem.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:48 PM

A standard size Schnauzer could work. They are much bigger than the miniature version which are much more commonly seen.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:54 PM

Standard poodle=great athletic hunting dog if from right lines, downside is fuzzy hair at any length catches all kinds of burrs and stuff requiring time consuming cleanup (grew up with a great one).
I am allergic to dogs and find my wirehaired pointing griffon bothers me little, sheds little if brushed regular, is quiet in the house but lives to hunt.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedfisherman View Post
Any breed and specific dog we consider bringing home will get regular visits for a few weeks to see if there's any reaction before we commit.
I would be willing to arrange something so as you could meet and " sniff test " our three pudelpointers. PM if interested. Be warned that most breeders will sell to HUNTERS ONLY.

Last edited by cover; 04-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM

Default Dander

I would agree with dander being the main culprit to reactions. Horse dander is brutal for me. Others have stated that saliva can be a trigger. It depends on your sensitivity and can be dog specific and not neccesarily breed specific . But generally long haired or oily coated dogs will have more undercoat and dander.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM

I've hunted over these dogs at this breeder http://www.pineridgepudelpointers.co...ridgebreed.htm

supposed to be non shedding, great looking dogs, I have the same problem with my GF and this is the breed we were looking at before I moved here.

Andre
Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 PM

I would also recommend a Vizsla. We have a female and she is just as previously described. They have a ton of energy and love to be by you all the time, even on you, all the time. They are big lap dogs who are always happy. Ours absoluteyl loves kids, and would rather follow them around and play with them and whatever their doing, than hang out with us. They shed very little and have no smell. They love the water and love to get out and hunt. Ours is mostly a pet, but i've had her out hunting for grouse a few times. She is ok but has never had hunting training. Our has her own allergies that we constantly battle, but all in all she is the best dog we could have asked for.