Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: Scorpion scopes: Good or Bad?
Good 21 27.27%
Bad 56 72.73%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 PM

Default Scorpion optics

Just started to notice these scopes lately. See there's been a few reviews on here about them, but they were pretty new on the market so there wasn't a lot of feed back. Been a few months now and wondering how the owners of these scopes like them? Looking at maybe putting it on my .300 wsm but I know the cheaper scopes don't hold a zero very well on the bigger caliber's. If guys are having success, post the model info and pros and cons so we can try and build our own reviews based on the wealth of knowledge from this forum. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:14 PM

They advertise as being a Canadian company, and that has led to some people believing that they are made in Canada, but the box has the "Made in China" stamp on it, that proves otherwise.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:20 PM

Yea saw on another post that they were made in china and shipped here. I'd like to support the Canadian company. But I won't sacrifice quality.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Works great on my ruger .22lr, put a 3-9x40 on it.

They do have life time warranty so if it didn't work out just take it back.

I guess you dont want to risk it and waste a bunch of ammo to sight it in just to have it lose zero.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 PM

just a note 99% of all glass comes from china..
Old 04-06-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post

Sorry. I don't believe that to be quite true as it relates to quality scopemakers. Japan yes. China no. Scope parts maybe. Glass no.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:01 PM

I'm not so concerned with where it's made, but the quality of the scopes and range finders.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Where do you get your information? The European scope manufacturers tend to use European glass, and many other better quality scopes use Japanese glass.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Please don't hijack this thread! Reviews on scorpion scopes. Scorpion range finders. That's it please! Thanks

Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 PM

Over the counter warranty. Works great on a 22 but not sure about a 300. Remember. With optics you get what you pay for.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:34 PM

Default scorpion optics

Don't have to buy one just go and compare ,and make up your own mind your eyes may get the surprise of your life and so will your wallet .it is what it is THANKS
Old 02-09-2015, 10:20 PM

There's a hunting store in Airdrie, they said they would be getting a whole bunch of them in. I think in going to go have a look for myself. If I buy one, I'll do a review.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:43 AM

Default scorpion

You get what you pay for. And most of what you are paying for is their warranty, which is second to none!
If you want to read between the lines.......they offer a "no questions asked exchange " for any issues. I know of one particular gent in the area (might be on this forum) has gone through three of them on his 300 wsm. Everytime it comes out of alignment, he takes it back to place of purchase, and gets a new one, right over the counter. Great warranty, but do you want to risk it being out of alignment right before or during a hunt?
Old 02-10-2015, 05:58 AM

"Made in China"

Never seen a quality rifle scope come out of China.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition101 View Post
Just started to notice these scopes lately. See there's been a few reviews on here about them, but they were pretty new on the market so there wasn't a lot of feed back. Been a few months now and wondering how the owners of these scopes like them? Looking at maybe putting it on my .300 wsm but I know the cheaper scopes don't hold a zero very well on the bigger caliber's. If guys are having success, post the model info and pros and cons so we can try and build our own reviews based on the wealth of knowledge from this forum. Thanks in advance.
Like any scope, its a good idea to pair the right scope with the right rifle. I personally don't have any experience with this brand, but have heard of guys having issues with scopes twisting or affecting their reticles due to recoil. I believe some of their lineup is geared towards small calibres, while others are built more robust to withstand larger ones. I can't pick on them, as this is probably the case with most manufacturers. If their warranty is solid (I hear its lifetime) and you're happy with what you're looking at, I say go for it.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 AM

wolverine in red deer had them if you talk to Jamie there he should be able to tell you about them
Old 02-10-2015, 11:56 AM

When the first thing I hear of a scope is how great the warranty is and how the customers just bring them back, then I want to run the other way.

I just did a quick little comparison online from both the Scorpion and Leupold website.

I looked at the Copperhead 4-12x40 AO and the VX2 4-12x40 AO
After just a quick glance the Copperhead is longer, heavier, and has far less eye relief than the Leupold.

I have also looked at the two of them side by side in less than ideal light. The Scorpion is not even close.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:36 PM

They are garbage. Put one on my 17HMR, after approx 20 rounds the cross hairs started to turn inside the scope. Besides that, everything just felt cheap about it.
I wouldnt put one on my rifle even if it was given to me.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 PM

Have the Varmit on my 17WSM seems ok>.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 02-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Default scorpion scopes

Scorpion optics have come out with a great scope,the glass is excellent and I have shot the venom hi grade series on a 7mm and 300win both scopes have not explode or fallen apart at all ,they have a good eye relief and nothing has moved at all, tried them at -30 everything was great,they get on target fast and hold their moa just fine,i have shot plenty of scopes for ten times more the money and really not a big difference except the extra 2500 bucks I got sucked into just to say I had a top brand scope'my first 15 years I shot a baush and lomb and paid 225 for the scope ,then I got turn on to high end European rip offs for 3000 plus for the next 15 years or so ,made a full circle and found something that will do the job just fine at 15 per of the price, and just as good of glass like it or not it is what it is, after all after 35 years of hunting I should be able to get within 100 to 500 yrds of my prey and scorpion optics can take care of the rest for me.i am not saying their the best thing in the world but for the average normal hunter a scorpion scope will do the job just fine.killed more came with my rem ADL than I did wIth my sauer 202 or my sakos which I love, and caught more fish in my 14 ft lund than I did with my 1890 pro V and sleep a lot better in my hunting shack than I did in my 90000 avion rv.Just because you have $100 pen doesn't make you spell better than 50 cent one,i know I going on a little bit to much here but man lets get back to reality and hit the bush hard and enjoy it.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrteam View Post
Scorpion optics have come out with a great scope,the glass is excellent and I have shot the venom hi grade series on a 7mm and 300win both scopes have not explode or fallen apart at all ,they have a good eye relief and nothing has moved at all, tried them at -30 everything was great,they get on target fast and hold their moa just fine,i have shot plenty of scopes for ten times more the money and really not a big difference except the extra 2500 bucks I got sucked into just to say I had a top brand scope'my first 15 years I shot a baush and lomb and paid 225 for the scope ,then I got turn on to high end European rip offs for 3000 plus for the next 15 years or so ,made a full circle and found something that will do the job just fine at 15 per of the price, and just as good of glass like it or not it is what it is, after all after 35 years of hunting I should be able to get within 100 to 500 yrds of my prey and scorpion optics can take care of the rest for me.i am not saying their the best thing in the world but for the average normal hunter a scorpion scope will do the job just fine.killed more came with my rem ADL than I did wIth my sauer 202 or my sakos which I love, and caught more fish in my 14 ft lund than I did with my 1890 pro V and sleep a lot better in my hunting shack than I did in my 90000 avion rv.Just because you have $100 pen doesn't make you spell better than 50 cent one,i know I going on a little bit to much here but man lets get back to reality and hit the bush hard and enjoy it.
Take a breath man. Longest sentence ever lol.
The OP asked what everyone thought of Scorpion Optics, I simply replied with the only experience I have had with them. My experience is, they are junk.
I owned the Red Hot 17, actually the exact one on Gear Hunters on Wild TV right now. Maybe my big Savage 17HMR had a little to much recoil for this scope.
My thought is why waste your time and possibly ruin a hunting trip or outing on garbage equipment. Why not spend a little more and get a quality piece of equipment. Trust me, I LOVE saving money too. Bottom line their junk, spend a little more and jump up to a Nikon, VX-1 or an Elite 3200.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:37 AM

I bought the Venom Hi Grade 4-12x40 and mounted it on my 300WM. Sighted nice, and seemed to handle well.

Took it to the West coast of AB elk hunting and missed a slam-dunk shot at 150 yards.

Couldn't believe I had missed so back to the house and back to square one on sighting. All over the map.

Once I got home, I took it back to the range and same thing. Shots all over the place.

Returned it to the point of purchase (Exsile - Cold Lake) and they found the issue immediately. Horizontal adjustment had broken somehow and the cross hair was basically free floating in the barrel.

Over the counter replacement was painless, but now I'm concerned with the reliability of the product.

I didn't vote the poll, as I'm not sure which way to go. The scope looks and feels like a quality optic, but I just don't have the faith in it I should.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter View Post
I bought the Venom Hi Grade 4-12x40 and mounted it on my 300WM. Sighted nice, and seemed to handle well.

Took it to the West coast of AB elk hunting and missed a slam-dunk shot at 150 yards.
but they replaced it over the counter...

i would never have another one of their scopes on my rifles after that.

same thing happened to me on a coyote and it was just a coyote. now ask me how many bushnells and cheap scopes i own. 1 but it's not even on a rifle, i took it off and replaced it.

i don't handle being let down by my gear very well
Old 02-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Banned

From a retailer's perspective, it makes good sense to cover the needs of all budgets and needs. Fly's in High River carries a good array to satisfy all, from Scorpion to NF and most in between.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:18 PM

Absolute garbage!! Ryan kholher can say what he wants because they are a sponsor but until you handle one you have no idea how crappy they are. Tasco are a finer scope. The only thing I would ever put a scorpion on would be a rim fire.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:28 PM

Scorpion optics make many different models of scopes,the venom hi grade series is great scope . Not one problem what so ever,very nice glass also.