Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 PM

Default What would you say...

Police visit your house for a matter in the neighbourhood. while chatting they see your rifle stood in the corner of the porch,...the bolt is out.

The police advise you that it needs to be locked and put away.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
Police visit your house for a matter in the neighbourhood. while chatting they see your rifle stood in the corner of the porch,...the bolt is out.

Thank them and put it away. Pretty sure they need to be out of plain sight unless you are a rancher. The bolt being out is as good as locked though.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 PM

Middle of cleaning....When the door bell rang.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:25 PM

-I'd explain that they are incorrect in their assesment of the current firearms laws.
-Bolt out is as good as locked.
-What's to say you were interupted by them while you were doing firearms maintenance activites, you are present, and you hold a valid licence for that class of firearm.
-Plain sight does not apply in a dwelling BTW.
-Then proceed to present them with a copy of their own pamphlet for these matters.

Most 6 week wonders from Regina know diddly about firearms laws and their application, charges get tossed quite regularly by the ranking NCO, or the Crown.

If that fails read the information you get with your NFA membership...you are a member aren't you?

There are no absolutes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Gone Hunting

What would you say if it was on the seat of your truck? Or on the couch in your living room. It is under your immediate care and control, WTF is the problem?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
-I'd explain that they are incorrect in their assesment of the current firearms laws.
-What's to say you were interupted by them while you were doing firearms maintenance activites, you are present, and you hold a valid licence for that class of firearm.
-Then proceed to present them with a copy of their own pamphlet for these matters.

Most 6 week wonders from Regina know diddly about firearms laws and their application, charges get tossed quite regularly by the ranking NCO, or the Crown.

If that fails read the information you get with your NFA membership...you are a member aren't you?
Dick, you just renewed my faith with that..... Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:

That about sums it up nicely.....
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM

Id say Beat it nerd
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Yup pretty much, its fine where it is. you dont like it, sorry bout your luck
Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Invite him in for a cup of coffee and a chat about firearms laws. Maybe let him shoot a real gun off the back deck. (Home location permitting!)

If that doesn't work tell em to pound salt and enjoy Ft. Chip
Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Well said
Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 PM

I run into many issues in regard to my firearm culture.

I grew up with a gun rack on the wall. No lock, the guns were always accessible.

My Dad had me shooting the .22 at a young age and then soon the 12 gauge and 16 gauge.

I had a respect for the guns as well as my father's directions not to use the guns unless he was with me and that guns are not toys and so on.

Somehow, with 6 guns within arms reach, I managed to make it through childhood without accidentally shooting myself or someone else and have a real respect for firearms, hunting and firearm safety.

I often have my shotguns and rifles, out and about. Being cleaned, admired, adjusted etc.

I have had people say, "having that gun there in the corner is dangerous"...

Says who?

I have a 4 year old who knows more about my guns and hunting/shooting safety, than many adults I know.

I don't like the, "guns should be hidden and out of sight" mentality.
I do believe in safety, but hiding the booze isn't gonna keep my kid from drinking and pretending drugs don't exist, won't help him either.

The scenario I mentioned in the opening post was a real one that happened to someone I know, through someone else.

The guy appologized profusely and almost cried. He now has a gun lock on his gun, the bolt out, it is in a locked case and in his basement up in the floor joist til hunting season. Additionally, he had it out originally to give it a wipe with oil.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I run into many issues in regard to my firearm culture.

I grew up with a gun rack on the wall. No lock, the guns were always accessible.

My Dad had me shooting the .22 at a young age and then soon the 12 gauge and 16 gauge.

I had a respect for the guns as well as my father's directions not to use the guns unless he was with me and that guns are not toys and so on.

Somehow, with 6 guns within arms reach, I managed to make it through childhood without accidentally shooting myself or someone else and have a real respect for firearms, hunting and firearm safety.

I often have my shotguns and rifles, out and about. Being cleaned, admired, adjusted etc.

I have had people say, "having that gun there in the corner is dangerous"...

Says who?

I have a 4 year old who knows more about my guns and hunting/shooting safety, than many adults I know.

I don't like the, "guns should be hidden and out of sight" mentality.
I do believe in safety, but hiding the booze isn't gonna keep my kid from drinking and pretending drugs don't exist, won't help him either.

The scenario I mentioned in the opening post was a real one that happened to someone I know, through someone else.

The guy appologized profusely and almost cried. He now has a gun lock on his gun, the bolt out, it is in a locked case and in his basement up in the floor joist til hunting season. Additionally, he had it out originally to give it a wipe with oil.
Tell him to learn the laws he is ruled by, or forever be a servant!
Just another reason to join the NFA and educate yourself, or "himself" against this kind of fear mongering crap!