Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Angry OH Ranch gone to Stampede Board

just wondering what happens to lease in the forestry is going to be accessable to hunt . The stampede Dosnt run cattle just rodeo stock . it should be public access like it use to be
Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELL View Post
just wondering what happens to lease in the forestry is going to be accessable to hunt . The stampede Dosnt run cattle just rodeo stock . it should be public access like it use to be
hmmmm???... the entire OH Ranch you say??...
Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM

6000 acres of it. Much/all of it was designated Heritage Rangeland a year or two ago, and some of their Dorothy property was designated a conservation easement. Seems they asre slowly protecting/divesting the land. Good for them. They do a lot south of Calgary.

No idea about hunting or what they are going to do with the leased land (which was all you were ever able to hunt).
Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Yea was given to Stampede board by the rancher that bought it when doc seemans passed away same guy owns tongue creek ranchs is worth 11.5 million in land
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 PM

i know for a fact that there will be NO hunting. When i asked about the lease land...i was told that "I'LL keep just one cow on each quarter if i have to."

definatlly not cool, doesnt effect where i hunt but always enjoyed the first few days of the opener when the OH crowd pushed the herds my way.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Banned

I would bet a $100 that the Stampede allows hunting in one form or another..

It would almost be political suicide if they didnt.

Jamie
Old 06-22-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELL View Post
What's the difference between cattle and rodeo stock?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:26 AM

One bucks for a job, the other buck to pi$$ a guy off

A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider...a caretaker...a leader.
I will never make excuses for who I am... It's the way I was born... I'm a
hunter... A BONE COLLECTOR!!!"
Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
i know for a fact that there will be NO hunting. When i asked about the lease land...i was told that "I'LL keep just one cow on each quarter if i have to."

definatlly not cool, doesnt effect where i hunt but always enjoyed the first few days of the opener when the OH crowd pushed the herds my way.
Maybe pass along the info so we can try and put a stop to this?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Who were you talking to? OH allows hunting on their leased land. I've done it a number of times, including this last January for elk.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Who were you talking to? OH allows hunting on their leased land. I've done it a number of times, including this last January for elk.
that won't change, been going on there for ages. Another leaseholder to challenge, look forward to it.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:22 AM

sory for the delayed response, Been out of town...anyhow...Tounge creek ranches bought up all the existing OH property ( and lease property ) west of longview. they have intern decided to lease a large portion of that to the Stasmpede board. I have first hand knowlege that they ( Tounge Creek Ranch ) is dead set against hunting.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
sory for the delayed response, Been out of town...anyhow...Tounge creek ranches bought up all the existing OH property ( and lease property ) west of longview. they have intern decided to lease a large portion of that to the Stasmpede board. I have first hand knowlege that they ( Tounge Creek Ranch ) is dead set against hunting.
I thought the 8000 acres was a gift, not a lease.

As for the hunting, that would really be a shame if the new owner tried to evade the obligation to allow hunting on the leased land. That package is so big, and the history of organized hunting on it so long, that I think it would be worthy of a challenge by the AFGA if the new owner tried the "one cow in each section" stunt this fall.

As for the privately held land, he can do what he wants. OH didn't allow hunting on the private land. I hope the Stampede sees fit to allow hunting on their portion, but I'm not confident. The Stampede Board is a political animal governed by what folks in Calgary think.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 PM

I shot my 6x6 elk and first mulie 4x4 on the OH back in 1985. Was hunting as a guest of a friend in the oil business out of Calgary...I remember the ranch managers name was Doug.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
What's the difference between cattle and rodeo stock?
Rodeo stock gets paid
Old 06-30-2012, 01:54 PM

I know the Calgary Stampede Ranch south of Hanna allows some hunting access, so hopefully....
Old 06-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyala hunter View Post
I shot my 6x6 elk and first mulie 4x4 on the OH back in 1985. Was hunting as a guest of a friend in the oil business out of Calgary...I remember the ranch managers name was Doug.
IIRC, at this time the ranch manager was a lady named Kelly Kingsford. I also recall that Doug was her boyfriend and the head wrangler. That fellow looked like he was cut from stone, literally made the likes of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood look like choir girls. He accusted me and my friend when we were hunting, and that man was packing a huge revolver under his jacket. Nice guy though, as long as you remained on the straight and narrow. Again, according to my latest information, the current manager is Todd Snodgrass, again a very nice fellow. But just as most ranch managers, he has to deal with an overflow of idiots, thus don't be surprised that if you catch him on the wrong day, he might understandably get cranky. Remember that these guys have a job to do and dealing with people from the big city looking for hunting permission isn't first priority on their to-do list.

Last edited by gitrdun; 06-30-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 PM

Todd's gone. New manager there last year. Great guy, great to deal with. Hopefully things will be the same as always. It's nice to be able to hunt so close to home.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
IIRC, at this time the ranch manager was a lady named Kelly Kingsford. I also recall that Doug was her boyfriend and the head wrangler. That fellow looked like he was cut from stone, literally made the likes of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood look like choir girls. He accusted me and my friend when we were hunting, and that man was packing a huge revolver under his jacket. Nice guy though, as long as you remained on the straight and narrow. Again, according to my latest information, the current manager is Todd Snodgrass, again a very nice fellow. But just as most ranch managers, he has to deal with an overflow of idiots, thus don't be surprised that if you catch him on the wrong day, he might understandably get cranky. Remember that these guys have a job to do and dealing with people from the big city looking for hunting permission isn't first priority on their to-do list.
Thanks for the clarification....good memories.