Your Optometrist in Edmonton

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 09:24 AM

Default asphalt shingle replacement costs?

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on how much it will cost replace the shingles on a roof for a 1900 sq ft two story (approx 1200 sq ft of space under roof, whatever that works out to with slope). It is an older house so not too many gables or other architectural features, just a plain peaked roof and a an attached garage roof on a different level.

I'm figuring $10k, does that sound about right?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on how much it will cost replace the shingles on a roof for a 1900 sq ft two story (approx 1200 sq ft of space under roof, whatever that works out to with slope). It is an older house so not too many gables or other architectural features, just a plain peaked roof and a an attached garage roof on a different level.

Not sure about labour, but in edmonton I can supply you architectual fiberglass (better then asphalt) shingles for 0.72 per sq ft
Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 AM

It's not hard to do it yourself.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
It's not hard to do it yourself.
Agreed. After getting a quote for $13K or $14K to redo our 4000 sqft of roofing, I figured "how hard can it be?"

The work is very labor intensive and I did 80% of the work alone, but I saved a lot of money. I bought malarkey 50yr shingles, plus all new vents, flashing, ice shield, tar paper, etc for under $4k total, delivered to the roof.

In my eyes, I made $9k that week by doing everything myself. Over a year later everything still looks great and haven't had a leak. "How hard can it be?"
Old 07-04-2012, 10:13 AM

We did ours ourselves and saved a ton.

I cant recall what the Sqft price worked out to, but for about 3000 sqft it worked out to around $3300 with new vents and tar paper.

The work is labor intensive, but really wasnt that bad. 3 of us stripped and resurfaced 3000 sq ft in a day. It was a long day, but really wasnt that bad.

When we did ours, i rented 4 dumpsters from a local company. I used our big telehandler from work, and just lifted the dumpsters up to the edge of the eaves. We would strip the shingles and push them down the roof and into the dumpster. When the dumpster was full, we grabbed another one and kept going. It worked great, just make sure that you use a big enough telehandler to handle the weight of the shingles.

We had two guys laying shingles, and one running around with an air nailer. Worked fine.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 AM

The usual cost is between $1.30 to $2.00 a square foot depending on different variables. Steeper roofs 8/12 and above usually run a little more. Depending on the companies they try to "up sell" you on different things Ice & Water over tar paper, whirly birds over vents, new roof edge and several others depending on your roof. Best bet would be to get at least three estimates and see what the ball park is. Some people choose to pay a little more to get a bigger well established company that will be around in ten years as apposed to a smaller guy that may be gone next week.
That being said some of the smaller guys do a better job and if you are not scared of heights and your roof pitch is not extreme it is "easy" to do yourself. Most of the higher quality shingles have a nail line on them showing you were to do it and most include instruction on the back of each bundle that explains what to do.

If I ever have kids I am going to make them watch the movie 2012 so I can tell them "Ya, I survived all that."
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Default shingles

I won a complete re roof package Via K97 three years ago. It was their 1st Nailer down contest. I was told it worked out to about a 10k package including 50yr shingles and other parts and labour.
Thanks Terry Bill and Steve! And Jason and all the guys from Global Roof!

Aluminum sled deck for sale. Custom made, 77" base.
$1000

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 AM

I did my roof last month. The same size like your house. Around $6000 with 30 years shingles. It was done by Dwight's Roofing Ltd. ph:780-461-8995. I had estimates from others for 10K and 12K. Good lack!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 PM

Wow roofing prices have sky rocketed,I used to be a roofing contractor I billed labor out at .30 cents/sq ft on a standard pitch roof 3/4 pitch was .35cents and square pitch was .50cents.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrozap View Post
I did my roof last month. The same size like your house. Around $6000 with 30 years shingles. It was done by Dwight's Roofing Ltd. ph:780-461-8995. I had estimates from others for 10K and 12K. Good lack!
My dad just had it done. Dwight's a roofing also with 30 year shingles. His house is a 1 1/2 storey 1900 sq. ft split level. Cost was $6300
Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
My dad just had it done. Dwight's a roofing also with 30 year shingles. His house is a 1 1/2 storey 1900 sq. ft split level. Cost was $6300
Did they do a good job? I am looking at having this done in the next year or 2 as well.

LC
Old 07-04-2012, 12:42 PM

I'm very happy with the work Dwight' Roofing did. Very professional and clean. If I need roofing again, I'll call them.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
No, sounds too high.

Budget around $220 per square including removal and disposal of old shingles (if your roof is under 7/12)

A 1900 square foot two story with a 540 square foot garage will require around 23 squares. Job should be done with full paper on 30 year shingles for around 5 k.