Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2012, 03:31 PM

Default Saturday Morning Walleye

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a picture of the walleye I caught on Saturday morning on a stretch of the bow near the forks. I measured him just a bit shy of 28". Didn't have a scale on me so not sure how much he weighed.

Caught him around 5:30AM. Great fight, took me close to 15 mins from hook set to getting him in the net. What a adrenaline rush I tell you when you surface a fish and realize its a monster! I figured I might enter him in AB's angler of the year contest. Not sure how'd he fair as I know SSR and Pembina both hold massive walleye. I caught one 31" late May this year but never thought about entering it, stupid I know .

Anyways enjoy and feel free to post pics of your catch this weekend!

Walleyed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walleye 28inches.jpg (45.8 KB, 697 views)
Old 07-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Nice fish

What the heck happened to your face. Zombie attack?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-22-2012, 03:41 PM

pig of an eye!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Banned

Like the new avatar Red Frog.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 PM

Jebus!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Banned

Nice fish, but the thought of eating it from the Bow is making me gag...
Old 07-22-2012, 06:20 PM

Nice fish , did the 31" suffer the same fate ?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Nice fish, but the thought of eating it from the Bow is making me gag...
I should mention that I kept him for the purpose of getting him mounted , not sure if I needed the real thing but I figured I'd keep the real thing for best results (never got anything mounted before). Also, are there any taxidermist that anyone on the forum would recommend based on personal experience? I know about the mercury warning for the rivers but thanks for the heads up RW.

But since we're on that topic, i would like to confirm what I THINK I know about mercury. Isn't it naturally occuring? Also doesn't all fish absorb mercury through their gills (higher concentration in predatory fish since they eat smaller ones). From what I read, even the fish we buy from stores contain some mercury though in smaller concentration. Lastly, doesn't your body naturally expel the mercury within 30-40 days depending on the concentration. I'm not one to keep any fish out of the bow except for a rainbow trout once in a while since I LOVE trout, but I only keep one or two once in a while. I also set out a slot limit for myself as well when I keep a trout, I prefer ones in 15" to 20", anything bigger or smaller goes back. With that being said, I assume it safe to eat fish out of the bow (with moderation of course). After all people have been eating fish out of the bow long before the mercury warnings were ever written in the fishing regulations.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I've heard/read about mercury.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyed View Post
I should mention that I kept him for the purpose of getting him mounted , not sure if I needed the real thing but I figured I'd keep the real thing for best results (never got anything mounted before). Also, are there any taxidermist that anyone on the forum would recommend based on personal experience? I know about the mercury warning for the rivers but thanks for the heads up RW.

But since we're on that topic, i would like to confirm what I THINK I know about mercury. Isn't it naturally occuring? Also doesn't all fish absorb mercury through their gills (higher concentration in predatory fish since they eat smaller ones). From what I read, even the fish we buy from stores contain some mercury though in smaller concentration. Lastly, doesn't your body naturally expel the mercury within 30-40 days depending on the concentration. I'm not one to keep any fish out of the bow except for a rainbow trout once in a while since I LOVE trout, but I only keep one or two once in a while. I also set out a slot limit for myself as well when I keep a trout, I prefer ones in 15" to 20", anything bigger or smaller goes back. With that being said, I assume it safe to eat fish out of the bow (with moderation of course). After all people have been eating fish out of the bow long before the mercury warnings were ever written in the fishing regulations.

Thanks
So long as you aren't eating fish like that as part of your regular diet, you will be fine.

Bet it tastes great.

Lots of fish get eaten below bassano, and you never hear of anyone being poisoned...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Nope, I released him after a quick photo op so he/she is still lurking in the bow/ssr somewhere. Hoping I will hook into it again one day, hopefully even bigger the next time around lol.

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone for their kind comments as I know this is not the biggest fish ever. Just seemed like a big feat for me cause I had no help with the netting (which I usually do but decided to head out by myself Sat morning) so my adrenaline was pumping pretty hard trying to surface and net him at the same time.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM

nice big fish... grats
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
huh?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:

Thanks
Its not the mercury that i'd be worried about, its the large amounts of human hormones that absolutely CANNOT be removed from wastewater that is treated and then discharged into the river from the treatment plant, the majority of these hormones being estrogion(SP?) that is flushed down the toilet everyday by every woman using birth control.

I'm not judging anyone, i just wouldn't knowingly feed on the fish living in that water.

I am a certified water and wastewater collector/distributer, there are studies done on how these hormones are causing the fish to become feminized as a result of these living conditions.

As previously stated, nice fish!!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its not the mercury that i'd be worried about, its the large amounts of human hormones that absolutely CANNOT be removed from wastewater that is treated and then discharged into the river from the treatment plant, the majority of these hormones being estrogion(SP?) that is flushed down the toilet everyday by every woman using birth control.

I'm not judging anyone, i just wouldn't knowingly feed on the fish living in that water.

I am a certified water and wastewater collector/distributer, there are studies done on how these hormones are causing the fish to become feminized as a result of these living conditions.

That is an awesome walleye.

I wouldn't worry about the female hormones.

My house is a point source of emissions and I is ok.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Banned

LOL, so thats why i can't get you out lately...its all becoming so clear...LOL tell Lisa i want to know if your allowed to come out and play on tuesday morning...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
huh?
He didnt say 31" sausage, chillax
Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 PM

Congrats on the fish btw!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM

Sweet baby J that's a nice fish! Congrats!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 PM

First thought Nice Eye.. Second thought very Nice Eye

Grats

David
Old 07-24-2012, 03:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

Lots of southern resevours are fed with water from the bow river EX: Lake Mcgreger , travers res , lake newell , little bow res , badger lake ,keho ,chestermere ,crawling valley res , so if you eat fish from thease waters , your eating fish that are swimming in bow river water.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone for their kind comments as I know this is not the biggest fish ever. Just seemed like a big feat for me cause I had no help with the netting (which I usually do but decided to head out by myself Sat morning) so my adrenaline was pumping pretty hard trying to surface and net him at the same time.
Not the biggest fish ever, but many, many people will fish their entire lives and not catch a Walleye that big. That is a real trophy, I hope you find a good Taxidermist who does a great job on it.

Congrats and Thank You for sharing your story with us.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 AM

Nice fish, congrats.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Banned

another fish that can't grow bigger. Ever wonder why large fish are a rarity? nice fish btw...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Lots of southern resevours are fed with water from the bow river EX: Lake Mcgreger , travers res , lake newell , little bow res , badger lake ,keho ,chestermere ,crawling valley res , so if you eat fish from thease waters , your eating fish that are swimming in bow river water.
Yup, disgusting...i fish to fish, i don't concider fishing to be a substitute for grocery shopping.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Nice fish, but too big to keep...

Those kinds of fish are important to the future of fisheries...

Grats though!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffy91 View Post
Nice fish, but too big to keep...
obviously not. he kept it.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
obviously not. he kept it.
Coming from me.

I can't bear the fact of removing a big momma like that from a water body.

95% of ALL Walleye over 4lbs are females, and pike over 6lbs are females.

That's a pretty big statistic considering that's the average weight that people generally keep fish at... It does make a difference, whether you believe it or not.

Especially the big mommas hold a considerably more amount of eggs, making them a extremely important part to their specific body of water...

Just how I was raised I guess,..
Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Sad to see another big walleye like that taken from its waters, say goodbye to the thousands of eggs it usually lays. It makes me sick seeing all these people keeping big fish, our future fisheries arent looking to bright. Gratz on your walleye anyways.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffy91 View Post
Coming from me.

I can't bear the fact of removing a big momma like that from a water body.

95% of ALL Walleye over 4lbs are females, and pike over 6lbs are females.

That's a pretty big statistic considering that's the average weight that people generally keep fish at... It does make a difference, whether you believe it or not.

Especially the big mommas hold a considerably more amount of eggs, making them a extremely important part to their specific body of water...

Just how I was raised I guess,..
yes, we all know this. provide a link where it says 95% of walleye over 4lbs and pike over 6 lbs are females........ we know that females are generally bigger than males, but 95 % of pike over 6 lbs are females? i dont believe it. ive been to lakes where 95 % of the pike caught are over 6 lbs........ 95 % catch rate from male to female? i think not.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
yes, we all know this. provide a link where it says 95% of walleye over 4lbs and pike over 6 lbs are females........ we know that females are generally bigger than males, but 95 % of pike over 6 lbs are females? i dont believe it.
Read up on it. Male fish have no reason to grow any further than 6lbs due to the fact they don't harbor eggs.