Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Default Chilliwack BC Salmon Trip & Fishing Derbys (Pic Heavy)

Two weeks ago, we drove through the night to arrive in Chilliwack BC at 7:00 in the morning. First stop, Freds Tackle for salmon tags and then we headed up river to meet up with Mike at his campground at Thurston Meadows (he had been fishing there for the past couple weeks). For the next two weeks we were going to roam up and down the Vedder River looking for deep holes for big springs and steady drifts for silvery coho. We also decided we would be contestants in two of the Vedder River Fishing Derby’s.

As soon as we got to the campground we geared up and Mike took us to a deep hole he has been fishing over the past week. Since he had already been fishing for two weeks in the area he hooked us up with some bright pink roe and guided us throughout the day to his favourite spots. The river was low and crystal clear resulting from 2 months of no rain to the area. Rumours had it that the fishing had been tough from these conditions so we lightened up on the gear. First day out we were float fishing using 12-14 lb line, a few split shots or egg sinkers, and running about a foot of 8lb fluorocarbon leader line to hopefully be as sneaky of fishermen as we could while still landing a river monster. Then came the secret roe recipe and …. Fish On! We were hooking into Springs for the next three days with the odd lucky coho.

Double Header

Now we were beginning to feel confident about the upcoming fishing derby’s . The Friday night before the first derby I respooled my G.Loomis centerpin reel and we pre-tied up leaders and were ready for another early morning.

Vedder River Campground Derby Day – Saturday October 6th

Up at 4:30 am and at our “coho spot” by 5:30am we sat in the darkness on the river bank until the sun was bright enough that we could just barely see our floats. We began the competition and second drift in Geoff hooks into the biggest hatchery coho of the trip. He kept fishing but sat pretty all day while Mike and I tried keeping our hopes up with anticipation until the day was getting later and frustration starting taking lead. Finally Mike hooked into a smaller hatchery coho but decided he was going to weigh that one in and call it a day. I however was not having the same luck. With frustration building up it started to seem like everything was going wrong for me as well. My centerpin unspooled itself into a big disaster, the dog drank my coffee, my skeen kept popping, a bird almost pooped on me, and my float was doing nothing other then floating. And I wasn’t sure if the fish just weren’t taking my bait or if my centerpin skills weren’t up to par. But… I kept at it anyways.. and prayed to the Fish Gods.

By 1:30 pm I had only an hour and a half until the weigh in closed at 3:00 pm so we decided I needed a completely new spot on the river. We packed everything up and headed up river but with no idea where to go that promised a fish within one hour.
First, we weighed in the fish. Geoff’s coho sat at the top of the list of 90 contestants at 13.4 lbs and Mikes weighed in at 6.6 lbs. Next, we hiked the banks of the Vedder where people were lined up shoulder to shoulder. I squeezed myself in along the banks until someone else would leave and I would squeeze in again, making my way up until I was standing at the top of a pool. I cast my float in the drift over and over again just waiting for it to go down. I kept asking Geoff “how much time is left, how much time is left” as I continuously made sure my roe bag was always in tip top shape and kept my line in the water as much as I could when WHAM! My float took under and I immediately set the hook. I started reeling in the centerpin until I saw this flash of silver and all the other fishermen started yelling out that it was a coho. Finally I landed it, did a couple fist pumps, and enjoyed this proud moment of the day 

I carried it over to the weigh in station with 10 minutes to spare and my coho got me 2nd place in the derby. Big shout out thanks to Geoff for always having a big juicy piece of skeen ready for me every time I needed it and helping me find this lucky coho. He did “everything he could” to make sure the last hour was as efficient as it could possibly be, and it paid off. 

Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 AM

For the rest of the week the three of us roamed up and down the rivers, hiking and wading away from all the crowds. Mid week we started hooking into lots of chum swimming up. They fought heavy like a big Chinook and the coloration on each was vividly unique.

Jacks

Bulls

For a while we were mostly hooking into chum so we decided to check out the hatchery and it was stacked with salmon! Mostly coho and springs. It was reassuring knowing that despite the lack of rain, the fish were still swimming up by the plenty.

By the end of the next week the rain finally came over night and it came heavy. By morning the river had risen about a foot and the water had about 3-4 feet of visibility. “Perfect!” we thought . The salmon should be rushing in and we should be able to trick more fish into taking our baits. Only thing was that once a river rises a foot, all the “good” drifts change a little and it was like fishing a completely new river. The rain came down for the next 4 days and the river kept getting higher and browner until the end of the weekend when it turned into chocolate milk. We did not know exactly what to expect for the next fishing derby.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Abbotsford Pilots 13th Annual Fishing Derby Weekend – Saturday October 13th-14

A two day derby. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes for biggest fish (coho or spring) for each day, then a total weight prize at 4:00pm Sunday. Went back to the “coho spot” and the three of us had great success!! Mike won 3rd place for the daily coho prize, Geoff limited out with 4 coho, and I was on the board with 2 coho to carry over to the next day.

The next day of the derby we didn’t do as well as the water was still getting dirtier but we walked away with a few small prizes and had a great time overall.

Last day of the trip we got a sturgeon tag and headed to the Fraser River at a spot that we have previously seen sturgeon jumping. No luck catching a sturgeon but we did see 4 more rise. As soon as we decided to call it a day from the sturgeon we hit the highway back home. Coolers loaded with our fishing take home limits and we arrived back in the city early the next morning.

This was another great and successful trip to remember and the Bradley Smoker is currently stacked with most of the salmon just waiting to be eaten and shared .
Old 10-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Wow - that post has me speechless. What an awesome trip.

Cheers.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 PM

nice pics , looks like a great trip , jealous
Old 10-23-2012, 12:24 PM

Now I want to go to BC again next summer. This time I'll bring my tackle and I won't be working!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 PM

Wow!! Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Looks awesome. Love the face on those Chums!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM

Wow!

Excellent report and pics FG! Looks like another legendary trip!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

great pics. and story. looked like you caught just about every species out there. also looks like you had a big variety of weather conditions.
too bad the bird missed you or you would have taken first place! lol
Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 PM

Wow!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:54 PM

I love this post, totally awesome. I am extremely jealous. Great pics and great story.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM

WOW good on ya Glad you had a great visit . Yes fishing is still pretty good
Old 10-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Got2fish

Loved the read. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM

sounds like an awsome trip there fishergirl. excellent pics. you are awsome.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Default GREAT Post

Congrats! It looks like an amazing trip. Thanks for taking the time to post this. Great pics and narrative. I am going to put this on my fishing plans for next year.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Aren't those dog salmon something else. Great write up and great pictures, that one coho of Geoff's is a hog!!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:01 PM

Great read amber! What an awesome trip. Some the colours on those fish... Stunning!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned

Its nice to see the river that i learned to fish on...thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 PM

Awesome pics Amber !
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Wow!
X2. Awesome story n pics!! Those are some darn saxy....feesh!
Thanx for sharing
Old 10-24-2012, 07:05 AM

Can't say enough about the picture where your releasing the chum!
Awesome pics!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Great thread Kiddo!

I nominate this thread as one of "Fishing Sections Post of The Year Contenders"

LC
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM

Thanks for posting, your trip, it certainly made my day.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 AM

Cool fishing trip! I love that area! Nice looking fish. Your not to hard on the eyes either!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Great thread Kiddo!

I nominate this thread as one of "Fishing Sections Post of The Year Contenders"

LC
I would second tha nomination, very well written and the pictures illustrate the story so well... could be an article in say "AO" ... if anyone is listening.

SUCCESS: If at first you don't succeed, redefine success and celebrate your victory!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Looks like a awsome trip!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM

i also nominate this thread too, so fishergirl looks like you need to work on your oscar winning speach now.lol
Old 10-24-2012, 04:27 PM

What a blast! Thanks for posting.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM

Default Nice

Good job amber, keep up the good work! Great pics.