Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Default Lucky shot?

So this last saturday got together with a cousin and uncle to do some road deer hunting, im not much of a fan of road hunting but it was cold and my uncle couldn't really walk much. But anyways, after all morning of seeing NOTHING, not even grouse I finally spotted 2 does just standing looking straight at us, pretty much camouflaging with the trees.

We stopped and I jumped out, there was a small bush that gave me cover so I was able to get into the ditch without being seen. As I poped my clip into the gun 2 of the bullets came out, not sure why this happened, maybe I was excited and I put the clip in to fast.. so im trying to close the bolt and it just wasn't letting me, I was getting mad so I just emptied the gun, this all happened so fast the does were just standing there.. I picked up one bullet from the ground, put it in, as I was lifting to shoot one of the deers ran about 2 meters so I just didnt take my time to aim and shoot, unfortunatelly I missed, so as im watching both deers running away and all i hear is this shot my cousin took..unbeliavanle, he shot it right on the head as it was running.. he couldn't believe it, he asked like 10 times if it was really him that shot it, first time I ever saw that happen. And to make things better, it was his first deer!

We manage to find 3 ruffies as well so it was a good day.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Head Shot!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM

Lucky shot deer or skill generally taste about the same , the real question is , are you ready for the crucifixion you will most likely receive here for admitting to road hunting and possibly shooting on or near said road. Good luck and happy eating on your deer
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Old 11-19-2012, 03:49 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwix View Post
I just didnt take my time to aim and shoot, unfortunatelly I missed, so as im watching both deers running away and all i hear is this shot my cousin took..unbeliavanle, he shot it right on the head as it was running.. he couldn't believe it,
WOW... one of the first things you learn about firearms use is to be aware of your target, and what is behind it. Taking a snapshot is a real classy and safe move.

Hope your cousin enjoys his 'lucky' shot.....

Brutal. No better than the guys that pile out of a truck and start blasting away with no regard to shot placement.

You deserve to be roasted for this one pal.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM

here we go...

Old 11-19-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
here we go...

Yep. Someone better alert Rocky to this thread. Then it'll get interesting!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Haha bring it on.. Like I said im not a fan of road hunting but this day was different. And no we don't blast away like most idiots do, I only take one shot at a deer and he only took a shot AT THE OTHER DEER when he saw I missed mine.

But hey, im happy for the guy, lucky or not he was aiming at it and he got it, his first deer and he got the freezer some meat. Those who want to criticize go ahead
Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM

No need , this is like road kill, the coyotes will be here soon enuff
Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 PM

Good thing that doe wasn't a small spike buck

Could have been a different species of deer than what you had tags for too...

LC
Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Gone Hunting

very unlucky Deer.....I'll leave it at that.........
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Gone Hunting

It's no wonder I have cluster phobia.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Default Good day for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwix View Post
So this last saturday got together with a cousin and uncle to do some road deer hunting, im not much of a fan of road hunting but it was cold and my uncle couldn't really walk much. But anyways, after all morning of seeing NOTHING, not even grouse I finally spotted 2 does just standing looking straight at us, pretty much camouflaging with the trees.

We stopped and I jumped out, there was a small bush that gave me cover so I was able to get into the ditch without being seen. As I poped my clip into the gun 2 of the bullets came out, not sure why this happened, maybe I was excited and I put the clip in to fast.. so im trying to close the bolt and it just wasn't letting me, I was getting mad so I just emptied the gun, this all happened so fast the does were just standing there.. I picked up one bullet from the ground, put it in, as I was lifting to shoot one of the deers ran about 2 meters so I just didnt take my time to aim and shoot, unfortunatelly I missed, so as im watching both deers running away and all i hear is this shot my cousin took..unbeliavanle, he shot it right on the head as it was running.. he couldn't believe it, he asked like 10 times if it was really him that shot it, first time I ever saw that happen. And to make things better, it was his first deer!

We manage to find 3 ruffies as well so it was a good day.
GOOD for you congrats on a fine day you have to love hailmarry shots
Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM

I think all of us if honest have had a lucky shot while aiming. Enjoy the good meat
Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Good work, sounds like a fun day. Congrats to your cousin on his first deer!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Hail mary's, lucky shots, or any other shot one cannot believe they made are ususally ones that have not been taken in the first place.

If one cannot believe they made the shot they must have already been questioning the probability of hitting the target in the first place.

I've been there and done the exact same thing in the past, and yes it did pan out a few times, but let me assure you that it takes only one lost animal or watching a prolonged demise of the animal to make you think that much harder about taking marginal shots in the future.

In my opinion the only time marginal shots should be taken is when the animal is already hit, and you are trying to put an end to its suffering.

If one wants to take shots that make a guy go "WOW" get some paper plates and shoot them under adverse conditions and positions to surprise themselves, and hopefully become more proficient at shooting.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Good for him If any body here hunts White tail pushing bush when do you ever get a chance to shoot one that ain't running ? Some of us hunt on the prarie not in heavily wooded areas from a blind or a stand we walk and push brush for a chance at a White Tail deer Over the last 30 years of hunting I would say that 75% of my WT Bucks have been taken on the run.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZ View Post
Good for him If any body here hunts White tail pushing bush when do you ever get a chance to shoot one that ain't running ? Some of us hunt on the prarie not in heavily wooded areas from a blind or a stand we walk and push brush for a chance at a White Tail deer Over the last 30 years of hunting I would say that 75% of my WT Bucks have been taken on the run.
Me too. it's the deer that are just standing there that give me trouble.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZ View Post
If you push bush properly, they don't come out running flat out, and yah, I have hunted prairie deer for awhile....
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM

Personally I wouldn't take a shot I'm not comfortable with at risk of injuring the animal, it was a lucky shot but just remember that next time you might not be so lucky.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck19 View Post
Personally I wouldn't take a shot I'm not comfortable with at risk of injuring the animal, it was a lucky shot but just remember that next time you might not be so lucky.
That pretty much sums it up.

Showing respect for the animal you're trying to harvest means that if you're confident with a running shot and have practiced, etc. Then sure, take a running shot.

For a first time hunter taking a snapshot, this doesn't compare.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck19 View Post
I agree completely, Thats also a lesson I had to learn through experience. I've lost a few animals in 17 years of hunting deer, and its not something I just get over, it takes me days to even weeks to cope w/ wounding an animal.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM

Default and it begins!!!!!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/image...:fighting0030: