Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Default black powder

Well i have been looking at purchasing my first black powder gun . And just want some feed back on the tradition rifles , thompson and cva what should buy to start out with rounds cleaning kits i have been reading up lots but there is so much conflicting info and bias opinions

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Well i have been looking at purchasing my first black powder gun . And just want some feed back on the tradition rifles , thompson and cva what should buy to start out with rounds cleaning kits i have been reading up lots but there is so much conflicting info and bias opinions
Traditional muzzle loader or modern ?
Cat
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM

modern type thanks

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
modern
Sorry, don't know anything about them, I'm sure someone else will be more than able to give you the info you need however.
Cat
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM

anybody?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
anybody?
Maybe PM 209X50 , he shoots those things.
Cat
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM

thanks cat

Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM

How much do you want to spend? Like archery, prices climb with the increase in quality and accessories.

My set up is over $1000 with just the bare bones gun.
Include a good quality scope, rings & bases.

My 1st muzzle loader was a New England Firearms .50 cal. I paid a little over $200 in 2004 from S.I.R. (now Cabelas).
I now shoot Thompson Center inline but CVA & Traditions line of modern muzzleloaders are just as popular and are gaining a fair acceptance.
For me, Black powder shooting was /is very addictive...../and then I jumped the fence to the traditional side...but that another story lol...
I use Hogdon Triple 7 powder, Hornady 250gr SST sabot, TC Shockwave 250gr sabots and Barnes TMZ sabot rounds.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM

I have a Traditions Pursuit XLT (black on black) it won't win any beauty contests but its accurate and I have had no issues with it.
Shoots well with 250 Hornady SST and 110 of T7.

As far as cleaning and maintenance try the search function, there are many threads on this topic.

cohod
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Banned

I have a cheap Traditions. It is a bolt action. Shoots great. Bolt is a bit of a pain if you don't have it lined up properly.

Biggest thing is it needs to be cleaned regularly as the breach plug can get plugged up and corrode.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM

I shoot a Traditions Pursuit XLT. Affordable and very accurate. Easy to clean as well with the accelerator breach plug. I shoot 250 grain TC shockwave with the superglide sabot and 150 grain pyrodex.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM

I shoot a Traditions Pursuit as well. With Blackhorn powder and Hornady SST 165 grn. I'm very pleased with the Traditions performance, but have not been exposed to many other makes/models. I experimented with a variety of powders and ammo, and settled on the combination above - it works very well for my front-stuffer!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM

i shoot a savage which uses smokeless which requires a lot less cleaning. 1000 to 1200 dollars for setup. measure my powder into empty brass and put valve cover cap on it. easy to carry around and load gun. gun is bolt action, stainless with 3-9 stainless leupold scope and i love it. would likt to see more seasons for muzzleloader.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM

never shot a inline but i started out with a thompson center pecussion and they are a lot of fun.now i shoot on flintlocks
Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 PM

I have a Knight .50 inline. Been hunting with it about 10-12 years now. Pain to clean, but deadly out to 125 yards. Fun to shoot tho. I have a scope on mine as my old eyes arn't what they used to be. I've shot lots of deer & 2 moose with it. I think I paid around $250 for it back then but I don't think you can even buy a Knight now (could be wrong tho). I use 2-50gr pyrodex pellets & a 240 gr hollow point with sabot.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Default in-lines

The Knights have Green Mt barrels ! In-lines are not modern as they have been around for 300 years.Some can take heavier loads like 150gr of BP and look modern......TC is always a good choice........Harold
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 AM

I've heard that story before and don't buy it.
The modern inline is so far removed form the originals that personally I don't even consider them in the traditional category.

Cat
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I've heard that story before and don't buy it.
The modern inline is so far removed form the originals that personally I don't even consider them in the traditional category.

Cat
X2. I have no problems with an inline, I own one , however it certainly is not Traditional. Wanting to use these in Muzzleloading seasons is just wrong. The intent behind a muzzle loader season is because a real ML is a short range , slow to use weapon that is frequently dificult to get to fire. The modern scoped inline is a far cry from this. They are just a a slow to load single shot that is perfectly suited to the general season.
If you realy want to experience Black Powder and Muzzle loading, get a cap lock or better still a Flintlock and use the inlines in general seasons . I prefer the Flintlock myself. .
Pete
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 AM

thanks for the info guys i joined modern muzzle loader forum to get some more info to. I hope to buy one with in aweek or so

Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM

maybe iw ill be a inline and a flintlock lol going to need another safe

Old 01-04-2013, 03:19 PM

HuntingNet.com has a great mzler page on their forum. Always good reading.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Check out Game On Outdoors in Rimbey. Very good black powder line. A couple of TC Omega's for a better price than I paid for mine at a ' big store'. Other option is Bashaw Sports. Ask for Randy.

Can't go wrong with a Thompson. The Traditions are nice smokepoles too.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM

Any muzzle loader is fun to shoot but I have to say I love my TC. Make sure when you get it to spend lots of time at the range. You want to quick clean the barrel the same between each shot and try a lot of different loads to see what groups best in your smoke pole. One more tip I learned the hard way do not fully clean the barrel before hunting it will shoot differently.Make sure you shoot a couple rounds just before the season or trip and do a quick clean. Good luck with the new gun they are fun to shoot. In my picture above that buck was taken with my TC at a whopping 20 yards bullet hit deer-deer hit dirt.

Last edited by BuckCuller; 01-04-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:53 PM

well I went out and bought the CVA Optima today