Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM

Default Catch and release question

If a person has a limit of fish laying on the ice, can you legally continue to c&r that species ?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM

yes u can
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM

but in a national park you would have to stop fishing when you keep your limit. Of course there would not be fish on the ice because there is no Ice fishing allowed.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Only problem is that if you mortally wounded one after killing your limit you MUST release the dead/dying last fish back into the water. No culling and no retention. You would have to keep releasing all injured fish till you were done fishing. Poses its own ethical dilemma.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Only problem is that if you mortally wounded one after killing your limit you MUST release the dead/dying last fish back into the water. No culling and no retention. You would have to keep releasing all injured fish till you were done fishing. Poses its own ethical dilemma.
So then why even go fishing? What if you are strictly sport fishing (catch and release only). What if you mortally hook a fish that has no keep limit? Why is it that the guy who wants to keep a fish to eat and still have fun by catching more and releasing must look at his ethics and morals but the guy who wants to catch and release only can do it all day long with nobody questioning his ethics?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleestalker View Post
So then why even go fishing? What if you are strictly sport fishing (catch and release only). What if you mortally hook a fish that has no keep limit? Why is it that the guy who wants to keep a fish to eat and still have fun by catching more and releasing must look at his ethics and morals but the guy who wants to catch and release only can do it all day long with nobody questioning his ethics?
Good point.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM

There's all sorts of scenarios like this that can and will come up if you fish long enough. If there's a limit of 5 try keeping only 4 and save a spot for the one you might hook too deeply. If there's no limit then try to avoid bait or at least use a larger hook to reduce the chance of them swallowing it. Using a camera will help you to avoid hooking the little ones or species you don't want to catch. Eventually you will probably be forced to release a fish that will likely die soon after, just do what you can to minimize the chances of it happening. If it happens every time you go fishing then you need to change something.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
How is this different than fishing a water body with a size limit? Whether its gonna die or not an undersized fish must be released.

LC
Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
How is this different than fishing a water body with a size limit? Whether its gonna die or not an undersized fish must be released.

LC
My point exactly. Everyone should just stay home and play video games.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Agreed, but I also think that as reasonably enlightened people, we can simply try an minimize any unnecessary impact on the lakes. Maybe after catching a limit, if you didn't leave one "buffer fish" or something, stop using bait. This alone can lower unintended hooking mortality of some species, like trout, from about 30% to 40% to about 5% or lower. That's substantial, and if you accidentally hook a fish deep on a small spoon or jig, or puncture a major blood vessel, at least you know you took reasonable measures to limit any chances of that happening.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleestalker View Post
Why is it that the guy who wants to keep a fish to eat and still have fun by catching more and releasing must look at his ethics and morals but the guy who wants to catch and release only can do it all day long with nobody questioning his ethics?
I get your point. But I would also question the ethics of a 100% C&R guy as well if he kept fishing when every second fish he caught rolled over and floated away after he released it. I'd say it was time for him to stop fishing and take a look at his technique (or lack thereof).
Old 01-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Banned

Here's one to wrap your head around.

If you have your limit, You can not LEGALLY take a picture of any other fish of that species that you catch that day.

A picture of a fish counts as possession. Put it in the "Ask F&W" section if you do not believe me.

While planning the Kayak tournament 2 years ago we were told that a picture counts as possession so certain fish species would not be eligible.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM

I know in BC that once you have your limit for a species you cannot target that species until you take the fish home. At least that's what I remember reading when I last looked over the regs.

Not sure why you're allowed to keep fishing after catching your limit here.

Like one members signature on here

limit your catch, not catch your limit.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
I know in BC that once you have your limit for a species you cannot target that species until you take the fish home. At least that's what I remember reading when I last looked over the regs.

This is Alberta man, The Viking lifestyle is alive and well here, Rape and Pillage then move on.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post

If you have your limit, You can not LEGALLY take a picture of any other fish of that species that you catch that day.

A picture of a fish counts as possession. Put it in the "Ask F&W" section if you do not believe me.

While planning the Kayak tournament 2 years ago we were told that a picture counts as possession so certain fish species would not be eligible.

BS
Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
BS
Ask for yourself man, I am not BS'ing you.

Trust me, I think it is quite possibly the dumbest rule I have heard. I would actually like to hear an argument in favor of it, just to see the cons of a picture.

Edit: I call this number 1 877 944-0313 to speak with SRD about it, He will get back to me tomorrow.

Last edited by Mutter87; 01-28-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post

I don't see that anywhere in the regulations. Now I'm talking BC, as thats where I do most of my fishing Mainly the shuswap. So a guy drives out 5 hours, gets his boat in the water, catches a legal laker in 5 mins, then he should go home. And as for the Shuswap, you need tags to keep any rainbows or lakers, if you don't buy the tag your not allowed any possession. No where does it state you can't fish for them, just have to C&R.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgz View Post
If a person has a limit of fish laying on the ice, can you legally continue to c&r that species ?
Pack it up and eat a balogne sandwich...catch another and it dies than what, you caught the limit best not have the fish cops swing by and catch you with a balogne sandwhich and over limit, might loose your sandwich...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
BS
x2 complete BS
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:

So every single picture I have viewed of a sturgeon from Alberta has been done illegally because it is their possession now?

Hmm.... ok
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post
So every single picture I have viewed of a sturgeon from Alberta has been done illegally because it is their possession now?

Hmm.... ok
Its not my law, This is what was said 2 years ago while planning a Kayak fishing tournament. I have called SRD and they said they would call me back tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
I don't see that anywhere in the regulations. Now I'm talking BC, as thats where I do most of my fishing Mainly the shuswap. So a guy drives out 5 hours, gets his boat in the water, catches a legal laker in 5 mins, then he should go home. And as for the Shuswap, you need tags to keep any rainbows or lakers, if you don't buy the tag your not allowed any possession. No where does it state you can't fish for them, just have to C&R.
Okay, I just went over a copy of the BC fishing regs online, and we're both right. Since I don't fish for or target lake trout and primarily fished the rivers for steelhead and salmon we both read the regs differently.

You're right in the sense that once you catch your limit you can keep on fishing, unless you happen to be fishing steelhead where there is a hatchery retention limit.

"When you have caught and retained your
daily quota of hatchery steelhead from
any water, you must stop fishing that
water for the remainder of that day"

As far as I know, there are only 2 rivers that were 'near' to where I lived where there was hatchery retention, which was the Kitimat and Yakoun Rivers, neither of which I have fished for steelhead.

My memory was a bit fuzzy, but I was positive there was something like that in the regs.

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Pack it up and eat a balogne sandwich...catch another and it dies than what, you caught the limit best not have the fish cops swing by and catch you with a balogne sandwhich and over limit, might loose your sandwich...
So you want to go fishing for sturgeon on the SSR because you heard how awesome it is and they put up a good fight and you've never seen one in real life. The guy beside you catches one and it dies. Do you keep fishing for one or do you pull in your line and eat your sandwich.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Its not my law, This is what was said 2 years ago while planning a Kayak fishing tournament. I have called SRD and they said they would call me back tomorrow.
If you don't believe him, call SRD yourself to get the truth from the horses mouth. If enough people call this 'law' might get reviewed and thrown off the books. If it is law, I've personally been guilty of 'poaching' many many times in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick

Hmm.... ok
Same with everyone who's posted a sturgeon picture.

It could very well be that for the purpose of a tournament that a photo of a fish counts as possession if fishing a C&R water body, or water body with C&R restrictions on certain species. Specially if it is an 'all species' type of tournament.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM

That's some pretty crazy Kool-Aid you have there Mutter!!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:

This sounds a little too much like the old "If you post your land "No Hunting", you can't hunt there yourself" one... I will await F&W getting back to you on this one. It makes no sense at all.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
This sounds a little too much like the old "If you post your land "No Hunting", you can't hunt there yourself" one... I will await F&W getting back to you on this one. It makes no sense at all.
check my response to this, it's the only explanation that makes any sense to me.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree with you 110%. This is what we were told 2 years ago while planning the tournament and getting the permits.

I will post what I hear tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I agree with you 110%. This is what we were told 2 years ago while planning the tournament and getting the permits.

I will post what I hear tomorrow.
You sure you aren't getting this mixed up with the time you were going to be charged with possession of those other photos????? LOL
Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
You sure you aren't getting this mixed up with the time you were going to be charged with possession of those other photos????? LOL
Ok, that is funny!!! LOL