Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM

Default Clam's horrific...ish customer service

I bought a clam base camp tent a couple seasons ago when I first started ice fishing and it has been a great shelter; really well made and no issues until a couple weeks ago. I was out on Cold Lake and when I went to set it up, one of the fiberglass poles for the roof shattered. With it being the roof it was still pretty much usable since it still stands up, the roof just sagged in which was annoying for a guy over 6 feet. Anyhow, I call around to the outfitters in town looking for replacement parts and am told that I need to contact the manufacturer directly. Since the interweb knows all things, I went to their web site in search of contact information. They don't list any phone numbers at all, only email addresses. So I send off an email explaining what I need with all of my information....3 days later, haven't heard a thing.
So I go back on their web site and there to my delight is the replacement pole kit for my clam base camp. So I click "add to cart" and proceed to the checkout. When calculating shipping, you have your choice of "state or province" except, there are no provinces. So I go to the drop down menu to select my country of residence and the only option is "United States". That's right, if you live anywhere in the world other than the "land of the free and the home of the brave" you can't order anything from them on line, and since they don't volunteer any phone numbers, your stuck waiting for them to eventually email you back which happened on day #4. In their email, they advised me that I could order anything I needed on their web site....
Thankfully, at the bottom in the prefabbed signature part there was a phone number. So I called and wound up speaking to a woman who "couldn't understand my accent" so it took almost 30 minutes to place my order.
When I asked for the total amount that would be billed to my credit card she said she didn't know because, "we really don't ship much to Canada", but she promised to email the next day with the total amount and a tracking number. At this point, I decided if I ever need another tent, it won't be a clam....

I never did get that email with the total or the tracking number so I still don't know what it cost for my new poles, but they arrived today - less than a week shipping time. Now I don't know whether to be impressed or stay ticked... All this just to say, if you ever need to order anything from Clam, good luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 PM

and were you charged up the @ss
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinboldt View Post
I bought a clam base camp tent a couple seasons ago when I first started ice fishing and it has been a great shelter; really well made and no issues until a couple weeks ago. I was out on Cold Lake and when I went to set it up, one of the fiberglass poles for the roof shattered. With it being the roof it was still pretty much usable since it still stands up, the roof just sagged in which was annoying for a guy over 6 feet. Anyhow, I call around to the outfitters in town looking for replacement parts and am told that I need to contact the manufacturer directly. Since the interweb knows all things, I went to their web site in search of contact information. They don't list any phone numbers at all, only email addresses. So I send off an email explaining what I need with all of my information....3 days later, haven't heard a thing.
So I go back on their web site and there to my delight is the replacement pole kit for my clam base camp. So I click "add to cart" and proceed to the checkout. When calculating shipping, you have your choice of "state or province" except, there are no provinces. So I go to the drop down menu to select my country of residence and the only option is "United States". That's right, if you live anywhere in the world other than the "land of the free and the home of the brave" you can't order anything from them on line, and since they don't volunteer any phone numbers, your stuck waiting for them to eventually email you back which happened on day #4. In their email, they advised me that I could order anything I needed on their web site....
Thankfully, at the bottom in the prefabbed signature part there was a phone number. So I called and wound up speaking to a woman who "couldn't understand my accent" so it took almost 30 minutes to place my order.
When I asked for the total amount that would be billed to my credit card she said she didn't know because, "we really don't ship much to Canada", but she promised to email the next day with the total amount and a tracking number. At this point, I decided if I ever need another tent, it won't be a clam....

I never did get that email with the total or the tracking number so I still don't know what it cost for my new poles, but they arrived today - less than a week shipping time. Now I don't know whether to be impressed or stay ticked... All this just to say, if you ever need to order anything from Clam, good luck.
I had completely a different experience, same thing more or less happened to my tent except it was a wall. Sent the email got a response in 24 hrs and had a new set in about 6-7 days. They probably didn't even charge you for the poles because the person i dealt with told me they can't sell to Canada......which i really can't understand why they can't!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 AM

the kit was $19.99 but I still have no clue what they dinged me for shipping. guessing it was steep with how fast they got here.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
the kit was $19.99 but I still have no clue what they dinged me for shipping. guessing it was steep with how fast they got here.
They might have shipped them at their expense.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 AM

you're such a cute little optimist... I love it when I meet people who haven't been squashed by reality yet
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 AM

That sounds like such a pain in the buttock!! Sorry to here it. I called Marcum in Dec ( they had a customer service number clearly listed) they appoligised for the problems I was experiencing with their product, and thay would ship a new one out immediately at no cost. a week later, new camera and cable was at my door step...Still can't believe it was that easy.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 AM

I got a Fish Inn made by Equinox, from Costco for my birthday. First time I set it up, the wind took it and a pole snapped. Sent them an email that day asking how to get a new pole. They emailed me back asking for my address. A week later I got three new poles free of charge, and they also sent new windows cause apparently they had experienced problems with the originals
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Willing to bet they shipped it UPS , it will cost you twice what the pole was for brokerage.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM

Shouldnt be, item was under $20.00 no brokerage fee.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
you're such a cute little optimist... I love it when I meet people who haven't been squashed by reality yet
When you got the poles did you sign for them and did you get a copy of the w/b? Everything should be on ther w/b (prepaid/collect) if it was sent prepaid there may not be an amount on the paper. If it was collect they would have informed you right there.
PG
Old 02-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Banned

I've had poles go through the floor 3 times and the hub on one of the walls broke. I won't be buying a Clam again, built a Wooden one but will buy Frabill for my next tent purchase.

Email took over week to.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM

I guess i'm alittle dishonest or smart. I called them up and complained as soon as i bought it so i have the parts on their way. I have had a similar tent for 6 or seven years and have had problems before so i was proactive this time
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM

Interesting I has the very same thing happen to my Clam so I phoned em up and they sent me not one but 2 poles that same day.

Arrived in about a week no charge. Nothing but good things to say about Clam from me.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Not sure if the poles are the same diameter but:

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthrea...placement+pole
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Banned

Sheesh, I wrote clam two days ago about the misleading picture on their twin hub II ice tent and they wrote me today to thank me for the prompt, and it wasn't a form letter either.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 PM

Did you call your Credit Card Company to find out if anything has been charged to your card for any of this?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 PM

in my quest for the poles I wound up calling Cabelas to see if they carried the replacements and found out something amazing. Did you know that anything that is Cabela's name brand carries a 25 year no questions asked warranty? That includes EVERYTHING that is Cabela's brand. Even boots, socks, jackets, ice fishing tents etc. Their tents aren't as well made but when they break, you march in the front door, dump it on the customer service desk and go grab a new one. And the 25 years starts over again on the new one. I know which tent I'm buying next time.... and maybe some socks, boots, a parka..........