Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 PM

Default Why do people use the term "Slay" in Fishing????

I've recently read a few post where members use use the term "SLAY" in respect to their fishing adventures which troubles me & just doesn't make sense. So I looked up the definition and found the following ... I trust this isn't what people normally do when fishin ?

Definition of SLAY... transitive verb!

1: to kill violently, wantonly, or in great numbers; broadly : to strike down, assassinate.

2: to delight or amuse immensely (slayed the audience) intransitive verb - kill, murder — slay·er noun

Synonyms: carry off, claim, croak [slang], destroy, dispatch, do in, fell, kill, take, conquer, defeat, overcome.

Old English examples of SLAY = to strike, beat, smite, stamp, forge, sting, slay, kill, impact ... Our foes must all be slain or the Knight slew the dragon!

Poor Dragon or perhaps poor fish ... guess I just don't understand why ?????

Zip

Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
I've recently read a few post where members use use the term "SLAY" in respect to their fishing adventures which troubles me & just doesn't make sense. So I looked up the definition and found the following ... I trust this isn't what people normally do when fishin ?

1: to kill violently, wantonly, or in great numbers; broadly : to strike down, assassinate.

2: to delight or amuse immensely (slayed the audience) intransitive verb - kill, murder — slay·er noun

Synonyms: carry off, claim, croak [slang], destroy, dispatch, do in, fell, kill, take, conquer, defeat, overcome.

Old English examples of SLAY = to strike, beat, smite, stamp, forge, sting, slay, kill, impact ... Our foes must all be slain or the Knight slew the dragon!

Zip

Really?
I hope all this research and writing didnt take too long because there is much better things to do with your life.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM

wow
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Have you ever heard of somebody describe getting intoxicated by using a word such as slammed, smashed, destroyed, ****ed, wasted, etc.? I don't think you are meant to take it literally. Slay probably doesn't mean that they caught a walleye and then kicked it around the lake and whipped it to death with their rod. Relax.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 PM

We usually say slaughtered them when we have a good fishing day, slay would be a ok fishing day
Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 PM

Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Zip
I'm no wordsmith, but I would lean to the list of cinnamons in bold from your post.

"Slay" sounds so much more appropriate than "we conquerd", "we defeated".

Ok, that's it. back to a 100 page case law document I'm reading.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
Have you ever heard of somebody describe getting intoxicated by using a word such as slammed, smashed, destroyed, ****ed, wasted, etc.? I don't think you are meant to take it literally. Slay probably doesn't mean that they caught a walleye and then kicked it around the lake and whipped it to death with their rod. Relax.
your right but couldn't you just picture that, lmao. Picture the guy dressed in a ninja suit
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM

From now on I will be saying I conquered the fish. Thanks for the English lesson!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Banned

Slay sounds so much better than smote or rase,, anyhoo dude I gotta header, later, over n'out, ciao'der!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 PM

This post makes me laugh! I use it as a slang word. Here let me help you understand.

Slang
very informal usage in vocabulary and idiom that is characteristically more metaphorical, playful, elliptical, vivid, and ephemeral than ordinary language.
(in English and some other languages) speech and writing characterized by the use of vulgar and socially taboo vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Somebody needs to slay this thread.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Uhhhh. Cool.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:

Zip
Hyperbole (pron.: /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-PUR-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.[2]
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM

Ive always said " Slayed " when it was a good days fishing. But then again i say it again on a good day of shooting ruffed grouse. And those are dead.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
Speak for yourself when I kill my walleye I like to take 40lb braid tie one end to the tail of one walleye to the tail of another walleye and use them like nun-chucks to beat a northern pike to death.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
Speak for yourself when I kill my walleye I like to take 40lb braid tie one end to the tail of one walleye to the tail of another walleye and use them like nun-chucks to beat a northern pike to death.
lmao. oh you too?!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Banned

I'll give this thread a 9 out of 10 for entertainment value.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Banned

Cool esay book readns.

Cause I can't spell vanquishd good and overcome sound lame.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
lmao. oh you too?!
Damn rights... Do you also cut their fins off and use them as throwing stars for whitefish that have pushed you too far?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
HAHAHA! awesome.

The only thing I've ever slayed while fishing is my dignity.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGirlWolfPack View Post
HAHAHA! awesome.

The only thing I've ever slayed while fishing is my dignity.
So like me and dating but only with fishing?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 AM

hahaha nice thread
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:

Zip
I agree and smash is another term used. Must be an age thing
To me it does not seem respectful of the resources.
But mere words have been used throughout time to describe their conquests.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-20-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Banned

Or...

We used to play the fish. Now we fight them.

Free
Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Zip
Key words in your search.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Gone Fishing

When a comedien says " I killed em last night"......... it really doesnt mean he killed em last night, rather it means he had a good set and people laughed. When someone says "They slayed em last night" it would denote that they were into to catching some of the fish population at that time.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Zip

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 AM

Talking

Quote:
Speak for yourself when I kill my walleye I like to take 40lb braid tie one end to the tail of one walleye to the tail of another walleye and use them likenun-chucks to beat a northern pike to death.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Ive always said " Slayed " when it was a good days fishing. But then again i say it again on a good day of shooting ruffed grouse. And those are dead.
Hahaha this is the best and very true !

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip