Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM

Default Robert Bennett Grizzly Attack in May 2013 Alberta Outdoorsman

I just wondered if anyone knows if there have been legal ramifications of possibly illegal handgun carry since Mr. Bennett shot the bear with a handgun, according to the article. Please note that I am not flaming nor voicing an opinion, just asking for information.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:38 PM

I heard through the swan hills rumor mill that they didnt pursue charges against him.

That said, im sure not mentioning at all in the article was no mistake.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 PM

I finally got to read my copy of AO. Man what a chilling write up. I hope he wasn't charged. Just terrifying thought to be that unlucky in the field.

Dave
Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 PM

The "charge" by the griz was enough! It is a awesome story! Lots of good luck in his favor, handgun and cell service! My neighbor is a RN at the hospital that treated him, and she said he was tore up pretty good! Wonder how he is doing taday??

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 PM

Perhap's he's one of the lucky few with a permit? They do exist, so its not automatically illegal, and in fact the exact reason the permits are issued. This could well be an excellent example of why such permits should be issued in greater numbers for outdoorsmen & women.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 PM

Totally agree I think there should be more permits issued. People would amazed who is packing within city limits.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Sounds crazy. I'm not subscribed for magazine. Any one mind filling me in on the story?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 PM

Default Badges that think!

Generally, people in authourity (including officers of the law) are entitled to excercise discernment and common sense in the course of their job.

There is the letter of the law, and there's the spirit of the law

If someone isn't prosecuted to the full extent of the law, I don't think its always prudent to make a big deal of it.

Just sayin'
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 PM

My question is....how many folks are going to follow his lead and start packing without carry permits?

Granted not many are going to have a bear encounter....so why not pack something that is legal and more effective?

LC
Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Ironically enough, I own a .44 magnum revolver. I'd rather carry my .45-70 guide gun because that's what I am used to having over my shoulder at all times anyway; I am virtually never without it in the bush and have carried it for years.

I'll bet I could have it off my back, on my shoulder and three squirts gone in the time that it would take me to get a pistol clear of the holster, frig with it and get it on target and probably miss the first round..

I know my limits.

I'm no campcook at speed shooting with the thing, but I vastly trust it over a pistol and I can guarantee it'll do the job if I connect (and I will, because of the familiarity)

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My question is....how many folks are going to follow his lead and start packing without carry permits?

Granted not many are going to have a bear encounter....so why not pack something that is legal and more effective?

LC
So you know for a fact he was breaking the law? I haven't read the article but it sounds like what he had was effective.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 05-03-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:

LC

You ever see how many various kydex and cordura hip and shoulder holsters are sold at WSS? I've never seen any of those used in cowboy action shooting...... They're kind of near the bowhunting section......
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 AM

Although I am not "supposed" to have any firearms in the truck at work I always carry at the very least a defender 12 Guage cause I am always alone in the middle of nowhere.

I have never carried a restricted firearm outside of legal usage (range vists) but I agree that more permits to carry, in the case of remote workers) would not be a bad thing
Old 05-04-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
So you know for a fact he was breaking the law? I haven't read the article but it sounds like what he had was effective.
I know enough that I didn't have to read the article to find out....and I know more than was ever printed there.

LC
Old 05-04-2013, 01:09 AM

Are we allowed to carry a 30-30 when we walk through bushes in kananaskis for fishing at spray lakes? Sometime I do a 45 min hike through bushes there with only bear spray for fishing... I have been thinking about bringing a 30-30 for protecton
Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:

LC
I don't know many people that have been into the willmore or any of the 400's for that matter tht haven't had a bear encounter. I know of two seperate grizz attacks in the willmore last fall.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
I don't know many people that have been into the willmore or any of the 400's for that matter tht haven't had a bear encounter. I know of two seperate grizz attacks in the willmore last fall.
First off don't get me wrong I would love to be able to carry a restricted sidearm when out and about.....but as it stands now it is a criminal offence to do so without proper permission/documentation.

How did those grizz attacks you know about turn out?...both for the human and for the bear?

LC
Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 AM

Bear lost, luckily
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:

LC
Do you know how many people are afraid of bears who own handguns who hike in grizz country??? I know of a friend of a friend of a guy I know who has his wife pack his .45acp and he has his .50cal desert eagle on him. Reason hes afraid of bears
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic99 View Post
Are we allowed to carry a 30-30 when we walk through bushes in kananaskis for fishing at spray lakes? Sometime I do a 45 min hike through bushes there with only bear spray for fishing... I have been thinking about bringing a 30-30 for protecton
As long as the firearm isnt considered restricted, you arnt in an area that doesnt allow firearms such as a provincial park, you are free to carry what you want
Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Do you know how many people are afraid of bears who own handguns who hike in grizz country??? I know of a friend of a friend of a guy I know who has his wife pack his .45acp and he has his .50cal desert eagle on him. Reason hes afraid of bears
A friend of a friend of a guy you know....so you and your wife do this is what you are saying?

No I don't know how many exactly and I doubt you do either....people I know follow restricted firearms rules so I don't know anyone who does

Why should these people feel the need to be above the law when they can legally carry better options for protection?....is it the "cool factor"?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
A friend of a friend if a guy you know....so you and your wife do this is what you are saying?

No I don't know how many exactly and I doubt you do either....people I know follow restricted firearms rules so I don't know anyone who does

Why should these people feel the need to be above the law when they can legally carry better options for protection?....is it the "cool factor"?

LC
Hey come on, lol its actually a friend of a friend for real lmao, I dont own restricted firearms nor am I afraid of bears lol. You are right I dont know, I do know alot of people are afraid of bears though. I have asked him about the guns vs bear spray, but he is more concerned about being able to use deadly force then something proven to work better. btw he doesnt hunt neither does the wife. IMO thats one of the reasons hes afraid of bears.

I can definatly see the need to carry while bow hunting, But when I think about packing while im rifle hunting...... I need to pack a handgun, right like I need ONE more thing to pack around the mountains no thank you. Prefer my rifle, and I have a nice spot on my packs shoulder strap that can hold bear spray just right

Do I think I should have the option to carry a handgun when in bear country? Hell yea I do. But that'll never happen because people who own handguns who can use for defense WILL rob people and do driveby shootings on the way home. (not a jab at restricted owners, more of a jab at the morons who instituted the restricted laws, and there thinking behind it)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 AM

a guy hikes into the mountains with his rifle strapped to his loaded down 70lb pack. He encounters a bear at close range, the bear charges. Do you think the guy has enough time to get his rifle off his pack and work a round into the chamber and kill the charging bear? It has nothing to do with "cool factor" packing a handgun on his hip. It's protection and easy accessibility to have in case of such an event. I've spent enough time with a gun strapped to my pack to know that getting it off and killing a bear is not a option.

I'm really glad the guy never got charged for his preparedness. Kudos to him, without that handgun he would have been dead. Period.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 AM

I don't know if the person was carrying the handgun legally or not, but if he was carrying it illegally, the reason for not charging him, was most likely to keep the general public from knowing the situation. If having the gun saved his life, and he was charged, there would be a huge outcry to have the laws changed. The last thing that the government wants, is to have to defend their firearms laws, so it's easier to just not charge one individual, in order to keep the situation from gaining any extra media attention.

To be perfectly honest , if the gun was being carried illegally, not charging this person was actually the worst possible outcome for the firearms community. Hiding issues by avoiding them, results in the issues not being resolved.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
a guy hikes into the mountains with his rifle strapped to his loaded down 70lb pack. He encounters a bear at close range, the bear charges. Do you think the guy has enough time to get his rifle off his pack and work a round into the chamber and kill the charging bear? It has nothing to do with "cool factor" packing a handgun on his hip. It's protection and easy accessibility to have in case of such an event. I've spent enough time with a gun strapped to my pack to know that getting it off and killing a bear is not a option.

I'm really glad the guy never got charged for his preparedness. Kudos to him, without that handgun he would have been dead. Period.
....if only you knew more about the story....neither bear had to die nor did he have to get chewed on....that's all I am saying on this topic.

So why don't you regularly pack a handgun illegally? If being prepared is the most important thing and is above the laws some of us choose to follow?

Carry your rifle or use a sling that allows easy access...."boonie sling", strapping a rifle to your pack doesn't serve as any protection.

I am not arguing that we shouldn't be allowed to carry handguns....my point is now as it stands we are not legally allowed to do so.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-04-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
....if only you knew more about the story....neither bear had to die nor did he have to get chewed on....that's all I am saying on this topic.
Many bears are killed in "self defense", or to "protect the public", when the truth is, that they didn't need to die.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Many bears are killed in "self defense", or to "protect the public", when the truth is, that they didn't need to die.
Absolutely

LC
Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 AM

I've bow hunted for enough years now, with a few too many "close" encounters with bears to know the benefits it would be to carry a sidearm. When I'm out hunting I always have a pack on my back for carrying license/regs/survival/firstaid/water etc etc etc. And at times depending on where I'm headed out bowhunting, I'll carry my defender over my shoulder as well! Which just makes for too much of awkward/heavy inconvenient load...Maybe one day they'll change their packing laws...But until then it's up to the hunter to decide if it's worth the risk to carry! and after reading/hearing stories like the one here, I can see why so many people do.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:05 AM

anyone have a link for the artical ?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 AM

I never read the article either but if a pistol saved his life I think that is ammo to get the rules changed, I own handguns in calibers I feel would be sufficient to protect myself from bears/big cats and should be able to carry when out in the bush.