Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

Default What's The Funniest/Wierdest Thing You've Seen A Dog Do?

We had a dog of questionable heritage by the name of Oggie (btfl dog)... something like this but definitely not purebread bc:
http://seriousfacts.com/wp-content/u...7-1024-768.jpg
I was downstairs on a rainy day something like this, when he caught my eye out the window running back and forth and barking at bubbles forming and floating down a cement swale. As they eventually popped about 5m downstream he would look surprised and run back to the downspout to start over... one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Last edited by drhu22; 05-23-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Banned

Default Lucy

My 2 year old golden retriever Lucy will hide my work boots underneath something or behind a chair when she sees Me packing my bag to go out of town. Also, 3 times in the last year when I'm not home my wife will eat dinner in the living room and the dog will knock something over in the kitchen so my wife home alone kinda freaks out and goes to see what it is and the dog has snuck around to the living room and jumped up and ate her dinner. I like her though she's a good dog I think she only does that to my wife because she misses me and is acting out. She got scolded bad all 3 times. I know she hides the work boots because she knows I can't leave without them! She's a smart dog
Old 05-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Banned

One of our border collies (r.i.p) hated mushrooms (long story) and if you mixed them in her food, she would eat the food and drop the mushrooms out at if she were eating olives with pits.

Oh what the heck,,,, when she was young she spotted a dinner plate and had a go for it and discovered her incredible distaste for mushrooms.

Just the sight of me reaching for a fishing rod would put her into a frenzy that would make a hyper irish setter (like the is another type) look catatonic. Ironically she drowned in a weir while we were fishing. Miss her dearly and refuse to partake in having a family member with fur and a great sense of smell and hearing again.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM

Sad story Gust.

About 40 minutes ago my Pudelpointer pup Kiva damn near broke my nose swinging a kong around. I was lying on the couch talking on the phone with my Uncle.

I don't really think it was funny, but my Uncle laughed his arse off.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burglecut83 View Post
My 2 year old golden retriever Lucy will hide my work boots underneath something or behind a chair when she sees Me packing my bag to go out of town. Also, 3 times in the last year when I'm not home my wife will eat dinner in the living room and the dog will knock something over in the kitchen so my wife home alone kinda freaks out and goes to see what it is and the dog has snuck around to the living room and jumped up and ate her dinner. I like her though she's a good dog I think she only does that to my wife because she misses me and is acting out. She got scolded bad all 3 times. I know she hides the work boots because she knows I can't leave without them! She's a smart dog
Thanks...that is hilarious!
(all of these, actually)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM

Our border collie Jesse when startled by loud noises will run to the nearest tree jump as high as she can and chew/bite the bark off. She'll keep at it for a few minutes then the stress goes away I guess.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 PM

A friend of mine has a dog that is completely terrified of guns. Not sure why owner has owned him since a 6month old. Now 9 years. The dog will literally start shaking and whining at the sight of a gun, real or fake. First we learned about it was within the first year, brought out a shotgun didnt even fire it. dog freaked, pulled the leash out of owners hand and disappeared for 3 days.
Strange to see a dog tuck tail, whimper and shake at the sight of a gun, 9 years later. Aside from that the dog is awesome.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Banned

A rabbit.

My mother in laws toy poodle was VERY... ummmm.... Liberal in spirit.
He went for both bucks and does as well... little bugger was a perv.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 PM

I dated a girl years ago that would throw a pretty good house party every now and then in high school. People always complained that others were drinking their beer at her party's but drunk kids are drunk kids and whatever. She eventually caught her dog, taking beer out of peoples cases that were left on the deck or where ever and hiding them underneath the deck. Soon after she had a party and "provided" the beer. lol
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
A rabbit.

Hawhaha
Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 PM

Our youngest border collie is the smartest one we've had. I've watched her play catch with our puppy. She had a small deflated basketball we would play soccer with, she likes to be the goalie. About three weeks ago I saw the basketball arcing through the air out of the corner of my eye and watched through the back door as she would swing the ball into the air with her mouth as the puppy sat, when the ball landed she barked the puppy would grab the ball and run crazily around the yard. She watched for about 30 seconds and barked again the puppy put the ball down near her backed off and waited sitting. This continued for 10 minutes until I opened the door and went out. They decided it was time to play soccer instead of catch.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
A rabbit.

I have a westie like that. A few years back we took him camping with a friend who had a 2 year old pit/boxer cross. The little bugger harrassed the bigger dog to the point that she jumped up in their rhino, out of his reach, and would only get down to get in their trailer.

My dog's name is Caper, but when he gets around any unfamiliar dog, the C is exchanged for an R
Old 05-24-2013, 12:31 AM

I don't really know if it's funny or sad.

When I was a kid (grade 8 or so) I was changing cultivator shovels using a air impact powered by a small plug in air compressor.

I was impacting away and heard the dog make a sound like never heard before and move faster than a cheetah.

Turned out he decided to "leak" on the tire right where the extension cord and air compressor cord met.

I felt bad but have never seen a land based animal move that fast.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:04 AM

Had a Spitz growing up that not only liked to snack from the manure pile, but somehow figured out a way to pin and hump the barn cats. Strangest thing.....
Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 AM

Our Golden isn't allowed on the bed until my alarm goes off, then the second I'm out he is up like a dirty shirt.

We also had bells hanging on the door for when they needed out.

One morning alarm goes off and I hit snooze. A few seconds later he was ringing the bell like he was about to make a mess. I get up and as I'm walking down the hall he came running the otherway and right onto the bed and went to sleep.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 AM

When I was a kid, my black lab X, Elmo, had a small blue ball about 1 3/4'' wide. you'de tell him to go get his ball, and he would go find it, and bring it to you... one day, I did this, and he spat it out... didn't notice it in his mouth before... next day, same thing....

Turns out, he would partially swallow it, and yack it back up when it was time to eat or play.... When he was sleeping, or running around by himself, he woiuld store the ball in his throat.... you could feel it on his neck...

Last edited by kronk; 05-24-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 AM

If my wife and I are roughhousing, my Olde english bulldog/Rottie, Cheese, will spear her in the gut with his snout. He's normally fat, and lazy, and won't even look at a ball, but hates it when we mess around...

She can do the exact same with her mom, or the kids, and he just sits, and watches, and I can mess around with the kids, as long as its not on the trampoline, and he's fine.

(Easiest dog to train, because even as a puppy, he was so calm and lazy that if he wasn't walking, he would just sit down)
Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 AM

My old Great Dane, Bean used to get out with the deer, and try to assimilate into the herd. She woulld just walk into the group that roams the town, and act like the weird kid that no one wants around, but no one would say anything to... Bigger then some of them, too.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 AM

Wifes uncles Boxer, Rusty, had his run in their backyard, in Prince George, and could get under the deck. Rusty had a project. He never tore up the yard, but he had a hole under the deck... Prince george is all on sand, and My son Josh was under the deck. He just dissapeared. I crawled under to see where he went... Rusty had dug down in the sand so deep, you could see the bottom of the footing of the basement. Rusty was so proud of his project.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 AM

Last, but not least, My GSP that I had to give away due to being single at the time working 15 hour days went to a lovely home, and had her own room. Her ball rolled under the bed, and she had been stuck under a bed before, so she wasn't going in to get it. Instead, she dug a hole through her queen sized mattress, then the box spring, and got her ball back.

Also, she swallowed her new mommy's engagement ring.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM

My Brittany will take a ball up on our bed, and if it falls off he will whine and howl at it until someone comes and gets it for him. The last time I tried ignoring him, he went on for 45 minutes. He'll just lie there, looking at the ball and howl.

Also, he still gets startled by the strange dog in the mirror if it's the first thing he sees when he wakes up.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Banned

I have a 10 month old Walker/Redbone hound who can punch like Mike Tyson.She gets up behind our big Lab,rears back a bit and just pounds her one on the butt.She leads with her right.Hurts too,she`s nailed me a few times.Never seen a dog punch before.She can also do in a 12 inch rawhide bone in about 15 minutes.She sleeps on the back of the couch,legs dangling like a cougar on a tree branch.She has a lot of leg,she looks part Kangaroo.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 AM

When my wife was young and lived on the farm she thought it would be fun to teach her dog to ring the doorbell when she wanted in. It worked quite well, dingdong and there she would sit.

One night they were all in the house, and all of a sudden all they heard was dingdongdingdongbingdingdingdingdingding.

Turns out a pack of coyotes had her stuck on the deck, and she wanted no part of it. Smart dog.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Some people we camped with one time had this dog we called stick dog. The dog was always wanting you to throw the stick for it, and then it would chase after it and bring it back for you to do it again. We would be sitting around the fire at night and fake toss the stick into the bush. The dog would run into the bush looking for it and always come back with another stick. Meanwhile, we would add the stick to the fire. It was a handy dog to have around.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I have a westie like that. A few years back we took him camping with a friend who had a 2 year old pit/boxer cross. The little bugger harrassed the bigger dog to the point that she jumped up in their rhino, out of his reach, and would only get down to get in their trailer.

My dog's name is Caper, but when he gets around any unfamiliar dog, the C is exchanged for an R
Oh yeah... Scooter.

He was a stud budgie for sure.
Little bugger would have humped his own shadow if he could have gotten it to hold still...
Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Banned

My lab cleans the apple trees off as high as he can jump. He will even get a running start and hurl himself into the air to get at them. Our old lab used to harvest raspberries.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Our Standard Poodle takes his ball to the top of the stairs then throws it down and runs after it, brings it back up and keeps repeating this. It's nice to can entertain him self.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:40 AM

Default Dog in the River

My 3yr old Black lab lives to play fetch, We were at the Inlaws Place on the Nanaimo River on Vancouver Island last summer, I would throw Rocks out into the river he would jump in and go after them when he got to the spot where they hit he would dissapper under the water to get them (water was 20ft deep) I freaked out when he didnt come back problem was I was looking where he went under not 100ft down river where the current pulled him to. He was just as freaked out as i was when he couldnt find me
Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM

3 stories about my Rhodesian Ridgeback banjo:

Just a young dog..not really a pup at this time...digging furiously in one of our flower gardens at the back of our yard....he finally trots out with a very peculiar shaped rock in his mouth and drops it at my feet...at the time i was going to school and majoring in Geography with a minor in archaeology and recognized it immediately as a stone tool...

fast forward about 3 weeks, at the dog park down by the old man river and here comes banjo up to me with another rock in his mouth...drops it at my feet and runs off...almost identical in shape and size to the first one...

I took both in to my professor, she agreed that they were stone tools but asked if her grad students could analyze them. sure....they found evidence of carbon and food pounded into the working side of each of the tool...confirmed that they were stone tools and used at some point in history.....banjo has never brought me rocks since, or before that lol

third story....when banjo was about 5 months old he developed a weird habit when my wife would play with him. he would nuzzle his nose into one side of her chest....almost obsessively. didn't do it to anyone else. at about this time my wife developed a persistent cough and decided to go see the dr. about it. he had her get xrays done...they discovered a grapefruit sized mass in her chest...guess where?? yup. Hodgkins lymphoma. She is 5 years cancer free now and he has never nuzzled her like that again. yup he is a pretty special dog.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 AM

Our shep/rotti camp dog was always good about not begging for treats around the campfire, but he would almost always get something if he just lay quite and close by. Well my hunting partner likes to tend the fire, and keeps a poking stick handy to his chair, well he was eating a small bag of ju jubes, a favorite of my dog....and didn't save one for Buck. As soon as he threw the empty bag into the fire old Buck got up quite casually, picked up his poking stick, and took it into the bush and hid it.....