Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Barbwire

Default Newell Report

Went out this past weekend and over two day ended up catching around 15 whitefish and a bunch of pike including these girls..... Also caught a 8 pound walleye on a tip up and a 9 pound ling...first ling ive ever seen come out of newell.

Heres Haywire with a 12 pound and a 17 pound pike!!

Heres the big wally.

And Mr. Ling

Barbwire
Old 03-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Barbwire

Thanks Vexilar,

We tryed around the resort and had fair luck for whites but most of our fish came from the kinbrook park area.... We fished at least 6 different spots over two days. Lots of guys fishing around the island......

Where is the head gates, Ive heard guys talk about it but dont know where it is or how to get there.....

Barbwire
Old 03-05-2007, 11:30 PM
lethalconnection

Those are some mighty fine looking fish there barb especially that eye, im really jealous actually But just curious what is that on the lower back fin of the first fish? is that blood or what??
Old 03-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Vexilar

Nice looking fish Haywire and Barbwire.:eek
I haven't been fishing Newell for a while now, Did you get them in the bay area close to the resort houses at Newell or in the head gates area?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
OutdoorChet

Great pics Barbwire.

Those are some healthy looking fish. Love that Walleye... what a fatty.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Vexilar

Barbwire,

You get to the head gates by going along the the road that goes by all the resort houses. Keep going untill you run out of pavement hit the gravel you should be heading north then you'll see on your left hand side on the gravel like a storage area where everyone has their boats stored. Keep heading down that road and it will go down a small hill that curves to the left follow that road down then back up you'll cross a small bridge like structure(which are the head gates) and head down the hill and their you have it. 2 minute drive past the resort houses if that. The people in the resorts LOVE IT when you fire up the auger at 4:00 4:30 am:for walleye lol :lol :lol good luck.

Vex
Old 03-09-2007, 09:27 PM
staytuned

Nice wally! I caught a ling at the ice derby there a few years back & won. Even back then they said nobody ever weighed in a ling & I haven't seen one at the derby since. I caught mine just outside of jackfish bay area, where did yours come from?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:38 PM
BL

Default Ice conditions

How is the ice and how (I know this is a tough question) will the ice be by the first weekend of April? BL
Old 03-16-2007, 03:07 PM
theduke

Default newell

hey, was out there last weekend had 15 bites, and 3 lost fish and cuaght 4 other fish which one was 12pounds. the ice was a good 20 iches but by the end of the day there was about an inch of water on the top. my pops and bro are going up on saturday and im stuck at my work
Old 03-16-2007, 03:50 PM
280 Man

Make sure to remember Newell now has a bait ban and you can't keep pike until May 8, 2007

280 Man
Old 03-16-2007, 04:15 PM
theduke

Default newell

i just noticed that will that sucks for them they my just have to find somewhere else
Old 03-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Bait Ban

Default Bait Ban

I just got a copy of the new regs today.Page 48 Newell lake, it says bait allowed.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:25 PM
280 Man

For one: we are still in the 2006 fishing regulations until March 31.
For two: You can't use bait on Newell between March 16 and May 7, even in the 2007 regs.

Some people need to learn how to read.

280 Man
Old 03-31-2007, 12:43 AM
newell

Default newell

I'm just curious as to what bobalong is talking about. I just got my 2007 regs today and it is the same as last year(no bait during the other pike lake closures)
Old 04-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Newell

Default Newell

Oh to be perfect like you 280 Boy
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 AM
280 Man

They are pretty big shoes to fill Bobalong

280 Man