Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 PM

Default browning x-bolt extractor

After shooting some handloads in my rifle I noticed the extractor has one side that is angled. I never really paid any attention to it before so can't tell if it was always like that. Rounds seem to chamber and eject with no issues. I did notice a small rectangular indent in some of the brass where the extractor would grab. Are these signs of pressure? I noticed them on some factory and some of the handloads. Doesn't seem to be consistant or get deeper/bigger with increased loads. Does anyone have a picture handy of their bolt face and extractor in a x-bolt. Mine is 270 but I would imagine that all are the same. I'm away at work otherwise I would post one to show what I was talking about.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM

I finally found a picture on the internet of the bolt face and it shows the angled corner of the extractor so it looks like this is normal. Any opinions of the indents in the brass? I never really looked to closely at my brass before I started reloading.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 PM

ejector marks are a sign of high pressure. Carefull if fiddling with that extractor, there is a tiny detent ball holding it in place, the spring behind the ball will launch if your not expecting it, then you will be asking where to get a new spring.