Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 AM

Default Model 70 Reviews - Outstanding

I have for the last five years or so been diligently reading review articles by gun writers of the new Winchester Model 70s. I have found that they are unanimous in giving a strong thumbs up to the new FN version of the Model 70s. Whether individually reviewed or reviewed in contrast to other production rifles, gun writers seem ready to choose the Model 70 as the best overall choice of production rifle. As examples one could look at Shooting Times September 2012, Gun World September 2013, Field and Stream March 2009, or the Real Guns online two-part artilce on the Model 70 Alaskan. Most surprising was the Shooting Times evaluation that compared 18 bolt guns, only to find that the new Model 70 ranked second behind Savage in out-of-the-box accuracy. This, combined with the Model 70's "superior over all others" reliability, caused Shooting Times to choose the Model 70 over the Brownings, Savages, Remingtons, CZs, and Rugers they tested. My question is, are there any reviews out there that are negative about the new Model 70s?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:41 AM

I wonder how they come up with the reliability evaluation?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
They work.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:21 AM

Having read a lot of gun magazines I take what they write with a grain of salt, as its rare to hear much thats negative from them. Everything's awesome, everything's the next best thing, this is the one you need/want. They're salesmen and little else for the most part. For them to delve into bashing a firearm it would have to explode in their face and shoot into the wall 90 degrees from where they're aiming and maybe kill their dog too. These guys have a pretty sweet gig and can't risk ****ing off the advertisers that pay for numerous full page ads in the rags they scribble for. Anyone recall the gun scribe who was run up the flagpole and fired for putting out an article expressing his disdain for AR-15's? His name escapes me, but there's a perfect example of the freedom of that press. Biting the hand that feeds them loses them their paycheques, sponsored hunts and all the other perks that accompany the job.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-30-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM

Jim Zumbo
Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM

While I agree that Zumbo was probably treated a bit harsh, his article about the AR did go too far.

Back on track, as to the newer M70's a better gauge is how many threads you can find here and on CGN of complaining about them IMO.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:48 PM

I take it all with a grain of salt. However what I like is when they compare firearms in an article... One has to read between the lines.

I have seen in the archery world where a pro staff claims that what they are shooting is the sweetest thing on eart and then the next year with a new better contract suddenly the next guys are building the sweetest shooting machine on earth.

Its call dont chit where you may eat tomorrow.

In todays era of poliyical correctness one can't say anything derogatory even if it is the truth.

Hoever as an owner of a Model 70 and not a paid pro-staff member I like mine... But who will listen to me, as I am not on a pro staff for a firearm?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM

I just picked up a 30-06 Win Mod 70, the dude I bought it from said it was sitting in a gun cabinet for 15 years.
I was told it was made about 1990 or so, one call to Winchester and I found out that it was actually made in 1973.
It shoots super fine and on par with the Mod 70 Classic 30-06 I sold a while back.
I like the old school look of it with iron sights with the original front sight hood still attached.
I am usually a Remington shooter, but this Mod 70 is nicely stocked and perfectly blued.
I have heard good stuff about the new Mod 70's.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:26 PM

Just bought my 3rd newer FN M70. Seems good just need to get it sighted in!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
\
It's based on advertising dollars spent with the publication in question.

Sort of like how "Truck of the Year" is rotated been manufacturers. I think it's GM's turn next year.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmcdock View Post
I have for the last five years or so been diligently reading review articles by gun writers of the new Winchester Model 70s. I have found that they are unanimous in giving a strong thumbs up to the new FN version of the Model 70s. Whether individually reviewed or reviewed in contrast to other production rifles, gun writers seem ready to choose the Model 70 as the best overall choice of production rifle. As examples one could look at Shooting Times September 2012, Gun World September 2013, Field and Stream March 2009, or the Real Guns online two-part artilce on the Model 70 Alaskan. Most surprising was the Shooting Times evaluation that compared 18 bolt guns, only to find that the new Model 70 ranked second behind Savage in out-of-the-box accuracy. This, combined with the Model 70's "superior over all others" reliability, caused Shooting Times to choose the Model 70 over the Brownings, Savages, Remingtons, CZs, and Rugers they tested. My question is, are there any reviews out there that are negative about the new Model 70s?
My bro has a 70 in pre 64 rechambered to 308 Norma magnum. Was never allowed to borrow it, he treated like his baby. Pulled off some awesome shots and harvested some fine animals. For now it's retired, it's had thousands of rounds put through it. For me anything in pre 64 is the only Winchester that holds value. After that I wouldn't touch a Winchester. Only ever owned Rugers, sako's and weatherbys. Hunt on, harvest and conserve.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:03 PM

For those of you that haven't read the article where they test 18 different gun the reason the model got the best realibilty is because it was the only gun that didn't jamb have feeding issues or fail to eject etc and these where off the shelf guns three of every model tested. Now go to the and get that 70 that you have been wanting
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
\
I think it's GM's turn next year.

Go take a look at the Silverado 2014... hard to beat... insane truck....
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 AM

After shooting many CZ's and M70's through the last 15 years, my pic would be the winnys. Why? better trigger, bedding, safety. One more rnd in the mag has the thumbs up for the CZ, doesn't make much difference to me though.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 AM

^^^^ and to get a CZ up to a M70 standards, going to cost about $800 more, my 2 bits.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:50 AM

I like my 7mag extreme weather so much I ordered the safari express in 375. Now its the long wait for it to arrive. My research started with an online search of "problems with new M70" . Read lots about them and checked them out in a few stores before I got mine. There are some bad reviews but the good reviews out number them by a large number. Comes down to if you want it then buy it, if you get one like mine then you'll be happy with it.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:48 AM

Default gun reviews

I own and have put hundreds of rounds through, two of the newer model 70's.
Neither one has had a jam while feeding or ejecting. Using the proper recipe, they will both shoot better than I am able. I personally,would highly recommend them. Both are in featherweight models.

As for the gun reviews, you really have to read between the lines in the gun test results. True, the publishers dont want to crap where they eat, but I dont feel that they "lie" about the results, just rather use something that many forum people have never heard of: TACT! When the lowest rating on a gun review comparing eight new models is a "B-" , that may have been something to hang on the refrigerator for most of us, but it is still the "lowest" rating. Just because they choose not to verbally slam the manufacturer, the ranking is still there. ALTHOUGH, if any of you happened to catch the rain gear testing in the latest Petersen's Hunting, I had to laugh at their slam on Sitka's pricing. Harsh enough that they just may lose that advertising, if in fact they were a customer prior!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 AM

In addition to the article in Shooting Times September 2012 that evaluated 18 bolt guns, there was also an article in the same edition specifically comparing the Rem 700 to the Win 70, with editors of the magazine defending each, head-to-head. I found the defender of the Model 70 to be logical and persuasive, even though the defender of the Rem 700 had some great points to make. In the end, honestly evaluating the evidence presented, I was persuaded that the Model 70 was superior. By the way, in this edition of Shooting Times there are ads for CZ rifles, Remington Rifles, Savage Rifles, Mossberg Rifles, Sako Rifles, and ads for Browning and Winchester shotguns, but no ads for Browning and Winchester Rifles. As far as production rifle evaluation, this edition of Shooting Times is quite informative, balanced, and helpful, especially to someone choosing their first rifle who has no prior biases. This article, combined with the September 2013 edition of Gun World are, to my mind, quite convincing. But please, go read these reviews for yourself and evaluate the evidence the writers present. BTW, speaking of reliability, last week while sighting in my New Haven made Model 70, before the next day shooting a five-point bull elk with this 70 in 7mm wsm, I found that after I fired a zeroing round at the range the case expansion had lodged in the chamber what I take to have been a weak walled case. One hard pull on the bolt of the Model 70 with that massive claw extractor pulled that lodged case out. It felt like I had grabbed it with a vise. I don't know for sure that the pushfeed design extractors on the Rem 700s, Savages, and 1964-1991 Model 70s wouldn't have got it out, but I know for sure that the Classic Model 70 extractor pulled it out with ease, and in the process made me feel like there was no way that that extractor was going to let go of the case. When it happened I audibly said out loud, "Wow" because it felt so solid in its grip and pull on the case. This is a lot different than in the Savage in which I once lodged an unfired round, that the extractor would not pull out, and which I had to take to a less than happy gunsmith to have dislodged. Man, did he let me have it for bringing a loaded gun into his shop unannounced. I currently own Savages, Rugers (the new American, not a claw extractor Model 77 II), and Model 70s, but when I go hunting where there are grizzlies, I take a Model 70.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmcdock View Post
BTW, speaking of reliability, last week while sighting in my New Haven made Model 70, before the next day shooting a five-point bull elk with this 70 in 7mm wsm, I found that after I fired a zeroing round at the range the case expansion had lodged in the chamber what I take to have been a weak walled case. One hard pull on the bolt of the Model 70 with that massive claw extractor pulled that lodged case out. It felt like I had grabbed it with a vise. I don't know for sure that the pushfeed design extractors on the Rem 700s, Savages, and 1964-1991 Model 70s wouldn't have got it out, but I know for sure that the Classic Model 70 extractor pulled it out with ease, and in the process made me feel like there was no way that that extractor was going to let go of the case. When it happened I audibly said out loud, "Wow" because it felt so solid in its grip and pull on the case. This is a lot different than in the Savage in which I once lodged an unfired round, that the extractor would not pull out, and which I had to take to a less than happy gunsmith to have dislodged. Man, did he let me have it for bringing a loaded gun into his shop unannounced. I currently own Savages, Rugers (the new American, not a claw extractor Model 77 II), and Model 70s, but when I go hunting where there are grizzlies, I take a Model 70.
Interesting, one of the problems with one of the new Model 70's I had was a rough chamber that the brass once it had been fired didn't want to let go of, the extractor kept pulling over the rim of the case leaving it stuck in the chamber. Seemed every time I turned around I had to tap one out with a dowel down the barrel.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Interesting, one of the problems with one of the new Model 70's I had was a rough chamber that the brass once it had been fired didn't want to let go of, the extractor kept pulling over the rim of the case leaving it stuck in the chamber. Seemed every time I turned around I had to tap one out with a dowel down the barrel.
Thanks. That hasn't been my experience, but there are a world of experiences I haven't had! Did you have something done to the chamber to smooth it out, get rid of the gun, keep it as is? How did you determine that it was a rough chamber?
Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 AM

good ones and bad ones just same as any other brand. I have a featherweight in 7mm08 from early 90s that is gorgeous and shoots fantastic with hand loads.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:18 AM

Starting this year they are being assembled in portugual so for that very reason I will not be buying anymore new model 70's, absolutely not interested. All of mine are american made the way they should be.

I love my classic and fn model 70's. The only thing i dont like are lack of factory sights. Definately best rifle for the price point.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 AM

And listening to gun writer reviews is the dumbest and nieve thing you can do. I have read countless magazine reviews and have never heard a bad review about a rifle. How do you think they make their money and turn a profit? Its not just about magazine sales
Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSK-Antiroyalty View Post
Starting this year they are being assembled in portugual so for that very reason I will not be buying anymore new model 70's, absolutely not interested. All of mine are american made the way they should be.

I love my classic and fn model 70's. The only thing i dont like are lack of factory sights. Definately best rifle for the price point.
I think I will wait and see what they r like before passing judgement...I had other US made firearms that were crap, so made is the US isnt always good...
Old 10-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I think I will wait and see what they r like before passing judgement...I had other US made firearms that were crap, so made is the US isnt always good...
ITs more the principal for me than the quality issue or collectors stand point. When companys outsource north american jobs overseas my wallet wont support it.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSK-Antiroyalty View Post
And listening to gun writer reviews is the dumbest and nieve thing you can do. I have read countless magazine reviews and have never heard a bad review about a rifle. How do you think they make their money and turn a profit? Its not just about magazine sales
Like I said above, read the article in Shooting Times, and you will find several bad comments made, amounting to poor reviews of several rifles. They blister Savages, particularly, but also have something bad to say about every one of the rifles they tested, accept the Model 70s. And, in the same issue there is another article in which are found numerous negative comments made by their editors about both Rem 700s and Win Model 70s. And, as I said, they were getting advertising dollars in this very issue from virtually every rifle company whose products they reviewed and about which they said negative things, but there are no advertisements in this issue for Model 70s. That doesn't settle the issue, of course, and your comments about where Model 70s will be assembled disappoints me, if true. But perhaps there is some value in taking seriously the opinions of some gun writers, who, may actually be just expressing their honest opinions. The negative opinions and reviews expressed in this issue of Shooting Times certainly lend credibility to the idea that the editors were not just pandering to their advertising clients.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:26 PM

I see what you are saying, but in North America people demand high wages and yet want a cheap product so they (Winchester) has to find ways to cut the costs somehow. Better to outsource vs cut quality IMO.

As long as the quality isn't jeopardized I will continue to buy them...
Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 PM

While I can't think of anything from Portugal aside from cork flooring and wine, I assume they would have skilled craftsmen there like their neighboring countries; its not like the manufacturing was outsourced to Cameroooon or some other third world craphole. Do they not make some fine shotguns there?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 PM

A had a M70FW made in 2012 in the USA. It had a few problems.

The nut in the forestock was not set straight so the sling swivel was not in the correct orientation.

The feed lips at the bottom of the receiver were RAZOR sharp. They cut me more than once and they DESTROY any brass that is dragged across them i.e. put in the chamber.

The holes drilled in the receiver were not aligned correctly so lapping of the rings were required. It was quite bad.

Lastly, the bedding compound that they use is horrible. It's like glue. It required so much force to remove that barreled action that the stock was damaged in the process.

All in all, not terribly impressed.