Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Thumbs up 2013 PIF discussion thread, history, Q&A

I am real glad that no one is 'chatting' in the actual PIF thread, it makes it so much easier to handle things.

So, lets discuss it here.

I have been on several forums for many years, and one thing that always intrigued me was this notion of 'paying it forward'. When a forum member experienced hardship, or a friend had trouble, it would be brought to light in the forums, and those that could help, did. I watched and participated in several of these threads, going back 15 years. I was on bulletin boards long before the world wide web came to light.

Fast forward several years, I was on a motorcycle forum. I was a member there for about 5 years, and gave every time I could when members needed help.
I was rebuilding a crashed bike, and spent $1500 in used replacement parts from a member there, just enough to get the bike on the road, guaranteeing everything was perfect. What I received was junk, mislabeled, scratched, worthless. I put pictures of what I got, warned the other members, and informed my 'friends' that because I could not afford to buy more parts I would be parting out my bike. I had things boxed and ready to go. I contacted several members with 'wanted to buy' threads and offered them for free.
A very special friend who was the Admin of the forum sent me a message that sent chills down my spine. I cried and my wife found me staring at the screen.

The message read:
Dear Ken, you have been chosen to receive an offering of support by the members of the forum. You have been there to help up in our time of need and now it is your time to receive. You do not have the option of turning this down, but you must at some time in the future help someone else, either anonymously or like we are. We have taken a collection, have bought all the pieces necessary to repair your bike, and the rest is in your paypal account.
Your friend, Shawn.

That day I realized that the easiest thing a person can do is help someone in need. The hardest is accepting the help. I get a lump in my throat every time I think of that message.

I sent this same message to a few people over the years, ''you have been chosen by your friends to receive this gift, you can not refuse it but you must someday help when you can."

PIF Pay It Forward

I put this thread up every year so we can meet other members, exchange gifts, and help others out.
The basis is simple. You have something that someone else may like. You give it freely as a gift. If you wish, you may choose to accept something that another member has offered. Just keep it square, do not offer a $6.00 pearl necklace and claim laptops and lawnmowers.

When it has been going for a while, we introduce a new part, the charity portion. We choose by popular vote who the recipient is, then offer up gifts and auction items which are sold, or donations are made which count as PIF credit. 3 and 2 years ago, the Stollery Children's Hospital was the chosen recipient, last year was Wounded Warriors.ca

One example:
Ken offers a minion toque as an auction item, which ends at a specific time. He may choose to limit bid increments to a minimum amount, or let the members freely bid.
When it is over, and Leeaspell has won the toque for $150.00 ALL of the money goes to the chosen reciepient, this year being the Alberta Outdoorsmen Emergency Fund, which will go to a Forum Member who has experienced devastating hardship. The final recipient will be chosen by me, and discussed with the members. I have asked for a AO Moderator Volunteer to hold the money, but have not yet had a response.

I appreciate the help and everyone following the rules for the most part, it is picking up speed and should be a great charity event when we hit part 4.

If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to help in here, that way we can keep the PIF thread flowing in the matter it is meant.

THANK YOU ALL for contributing.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 AM

Awesome post Ken...and i for one thank you for all you do here on AO as well,you do alot of good!!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Awesome post Ken...and i for one thank you for all you do here on AO as well,you do alot of good!!
^ copy that
Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM

When will the next portion begin? I can't participate for another week, but would like to offer some stuff in this portion.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokcondave View Post
When will the next portion begin? I can't participate for another week, but would like to offer some stuff in this portion.
At least 2 weeks until the final part begins

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-14-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
At least 2 weeks until the final part begins
Thank you very much, and thank you for all you do for this forum.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 PM

Ken, while I don't see eye to eye with some of your views, you are a good person, thanks for doing all that you do...
It's nice to see some good with all the bad that surrounds us in are daily lives....

If you know a needy person that needs the leathers I put up,
I would b more then happy to give them to them....( no pif in return )
They have been sitting, and I would rather see them used, then just sitting there

Pm me if you know of someone ....
Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
Ken, while I don't see eye to eye with some of your views, you are a good person, thanks for doing all that you do...
It's nice to see some good with all the bad that surrounds us in are daily lives....

If you know a needy person that needs the leathers I put up,
I would b more then happy to give them to them....( no pif in return )
They have been sitting, and I would rather see them used, then just sitting there

Pm me if you know of someone ....
Will do, and thank you.

If everyone shared the same views it would be a boring landscape.