Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Default Suzuki trucks

I have questions about the little Suzuki 4x4 trucks . I have been looking for something small to haul a 12 ft boat & motor + fishing gear to the mountain lakes on trails / poor roads . I haven't seen many out there , are they any good ? Just thought I would throw the question out and get a few pros & cons from guys and gals that have used them . My wife suggested a side by side might do the trick but they are pricy and I would like street legal . Thanks
Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 PM

I used similar vehicles when I worked as a greenskeeper. If anything, ours were tougher and built more for what you have in mind than the suzukis. However I'd be reluctant to take them on poor roads mostly due to clearance. that being said, you could put a small lift on it, maybe some skid plates and find some mini aggressive tires, but that'd just make it as expensive, or more expensive, than a side by side.

furthermore, they may be street legal but I wouldn't take them on the highway. One deer and you're f***ed.

I'm guessing you don't drive a pickup or jeep or similar high clearance vehicle, maybe something to take into consideration when you buy your next one.

I'd definitely look at side by sides. Or go find a samurai or old jeep that you can stick the boat on top of.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 PM

There was a guy at the Edmonton sportsman show a few years back, who had them rigged with quad tires and winches, and they were still cheaper than a stock SxS. Factor in the enclosed, heated cab, and the fact that they aren't legally an OHV, and they are an interesting option as a hunting rig.

At 6'5", I fit in a parked one, but grimaced at the thought of the beating my shins would take on the trail.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:43 PM

I just bought one Two months ago. They are Japanese mini trucks. Diahatsu, Suzuki, Honda, VW, and there are a few others who make them. They are brought into Canada by importers, must be fifteen years old to be legally imported. They must have an out of province done after a few thing so make them legal here. Daytime running lights for one. Most are right hand drive, and almost all are manual tranny although there are a couple I have heard of being automatics, I have not seen one myself. I believe they are all 4x4 but there are differences when it comes to having hi lo ranges and diff locks etc so you want hi lo and diff lock in my opinion. For street legal, you can go to 13 inch tires, I think carlysle makes a turf tire that Ives some decent tread in that size. I put atv tires on mine, 24-8-12 fit with a 2inch lift kit installed. I have mine plated for the street, but only ever go down the range road which is gravel. Big thing for me was getting a dump box on mine. Some have, some don't, so I figured why would I not want it. I love driving it by the way. Any questions le me know and I would try and help.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:54 PM

I meant the older Suzuki's , I think they where built up to late 80's . Mini jeep style , some had soft tops .
Old 11-28-2013, 07:56 PM

Samurai?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:58 PM

Ah. Samurai.

I believe they now make replacement bodies for them.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Samurai?
Ya ! Samurai ! That's the type !! But there was another model too . A FJ or TC or something with letters .
Old 11-28-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Samurai?

I think that's what he meant. If that's the route, look at trackers as well. Similar in size. The samurais are getting harder to find.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:09 PM

Smile

I've had a couple different pre Sami SJ410's- they are truly amazing and can go pretty much anywhere on very little fuel- as long as you don't want to go over 90kmh...
Old 11-28-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
I think that's what he meant. If that's the route, look at trackers as well. Similar in size. The samurais are getting harder to find.
Nailed it.

I have a friend that runs a tracker on tracks....works well.

I've always wanted one of the suzkuki's with the truck box
Old 11-28-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
I've had a couple different pre Sami SJ410's- they are truly amazing and can go pretty much anywhere on very little fuel- as long as you don't want to go over 90kmh...
Yes they weren't known for speed as I remmember , but there have been a few for sale in BC on kijji . Which would be better , a tracker or Sami ?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:27 PM

LOL, samari were the newer models than the originals lol. I had a 1980 Suzuki 4x4, red baron edition, 800cc of raw power, 4 speed LMAO. get 105km on highway on a good day, truckers would play with you on the highway as they break the wind and just when you think your going to pass, it sux you back again. heaters weren't great, but I will tell you this, no place I couldn't go, short wheel base and geared down it just went any where I wanted. sunk it many many times and winched out, sunk it in the ram river, kept running. a banana is twice the size of the tail pipe. when I sold mine, a hunter bought it and continued to beat on it, just kept going. If I could find another decent one, I wouldn't hesitate in buying. If that vehicle could talk LOL!, good memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
Yes they weren't known for speed as I remmember , but there have been a few for sale in BC on kijji . Which would be better , a tracker or Sami ?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:31 PM

I test drove a couple sidekicks (same as tracker).

one of them I test drove in a snowstorm in the middle of duck @$$ nowhere and it was sooooo much fun! I would've bought one if I found a better deal.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 11-28-2013, 08:32 PM

What about replacement parts for The samurai ? Is it hard to get bits and what are the most common problems , other than the lack of ground speed .
Old 11-28-2013, 08:59 PM

When I still had mine the Suzuki dealership could get me anything I wanted. Sometimes I had to wait a bit though but the prices where reasonable.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
When I still had mine the Suzuki dealership could get me anything I wanted. Sometimes I had to wait a bit though but the prices where reasonable.
Waiting for parts is fine , at least there available . I will take a closer look at the Suzuki Samurai style units .
Old 11-28-2013, 09:37 PM

seems like a 100 years ago ........ I had a Asuna Sunrunner - (a tracker really).

I beat the living @#$% out of that thing bouncing it off logs, rocks, got it stuck more times than I'd like to remember doing things I should not have - but that little bugger was good on gas and went everywhere you needed it to go.

After an epic roll over - I Put some bigger tires on and cut the fenders and she became an epic bush wagon.

It was worth $200 by the time I sold it - bought it brand new for a little under $9000 if I remember correctly. Worst return on investment when measured in $ - best bang for my buck when measured in interesting miles.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Ya ! Samurai ! That's the type !! But there was another model too . A FJ or TC or something with letters .
FJ was a Land Cruiser... FJ-40 etc.

I know the Suzuki you mean (before the Samurai) ... my wife had one when I first met her. I don't remember the model name/number. I just called it an 'eep'; it was almost a Jeep and that was the sound the horn made It had an 800cc engine.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:56 PM

There is really good aftermarket support for the Samurai. Not so much for the 84 and older SJ410 and LJ series. The SJ series have a 1000cc engine and the LJ series 800cc and smaller as they get older. I have an 88 Samurai (1300cc)and I can find most parts at the local NAPA. You can buy lower gears, suspensions, etc from many outfits in the US. There is even a company in BC making replacement bodies out of aluminum. If you plan to drive it on the street, the trick is to find one that is straight, hasn't been beat on too hard, and does not have sketchy modifications that affect drivability. They also rust easily with the main areas the fenders under the flares, rocker panels, front floor, and behind the rear wheelwells. Pretty much everywhere come to think of it.

As for hauling a small boat, I do not see why not, just remember it will catch the wind. If you want to haul it on the rooftop, consider a tin top model and make some sort of rack that attaches to the front bumper. Samurais are rated to tow 1000 lbs but that is very optimistic.

Last edited by zero_eight; 11-28-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:55 AM

I will take a closer look at the Samurai . Speed and wind shouldn't be much of an issue , whatever we get will stay in BC . And if my bride likes the look of them , that's a positive too .
Old 11-29-2013, 08:40 AM

As was asked before, where are you going to get parts for a Suzuki. After this summer all Suzuki dealers ( auto that is ) are shut down. No more new Suzuki cars or trucks sold in north America. They said they are going to consentrate on the outboard and atv market. I would thinkl the value would be very low on any that are around though.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:51 AM

DAVE..........DAVE......... Tell em about Suzuki Samurai's....ohhhhhh DAVE.......

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 11-29-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Used to own a Samurai, put a 10" lift, small block 327", 400hp, custom roll cage, dana 44 diffs, and 35" tire"s. Would go anywhere, a whole lot of work though. Sold it as got tired of the money pit and decided to Buy a 95 toyota pickup, way better vehicle (stock) than the Sami. Could drive it daily, use for work, haul a Quad, deer, moose, elk or what ever. Could go more place's and be more reliable than a stock Sami, upgrades are limitless and easy. Drove that truck for 3 years, sold it for what i paid for it. bought a wrecked, ( tipped on one side lightly in ditch) 03 Tacoma with 120,000km for what I sold the 95 for, $3k, semi fixed the 03 for right off inspection, about 1K. Added 3" Old man emu lift $800, ARB bumper,$1100 warn 8500lb winch $850 added a factory rear locker $450, has Ac, power windows/locks, cruise, plenty of power and reliability with the 3.4ltr /6 speed manual, runs great down the hi way, fantastic off road- winch rarely gets used. Been driving "everywhere" for 4 years, buy far the best investment in a 4x4/ daily driver yet, and you could haul a boat or small trailer with it. Always gets you there and back again. AND they come with 4 doors
My 2 bits.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:50 AM

Tell me about Suzuki Samurai's & if NAPA can get parts that's fine , jobber stuff is cheaper too . We have a Ram quad cab , but I'm looking for something smaller for the bush , don't really need a 400 hp jacked up fishing buggy . Not that I don't like them , but " happy wife happy life " haha
Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM

If you're worried about parts, don't worry.. I have bought Samurai parts from all these places online:

http://www.roadlessgear.com/Suzuki/c/28/samurai
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...i/samurai.html
http://www.calmini.com/model.php?b=2&m=40
http://www.zuksoffroad.com/
http://www.rocky-road.com/samurai-parts
http://www.trailtough.com
http://www.rockauto.com

This outfit is in BC but I have never used them:
http://www.alteredegomotorsports.com/samurai.html
Old 11-29-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Tell me about Suzuki Samurai's & if NAPA can get parts that's fine , jobber stuff is cheaper too . We have a Ram quad cab , but I'm looking for something smaller for the bush , don't really need a 400 hp jacked up fishing buggy . Not that I don't like them , but " happy wife happy life " haha
Finding parts can be difficult for Samurai's, sometimes you have to order, could be a week or more, sometimes your tracking down used parts. Tacoma's are not much bigger, slightly longer wheel base is all, alot more interior room, WAY better built, parts are everywhere, 10x more comfortable to drive and will go anywhere or more than a Sami...And get you home again lol...Ask me how I know? Maybe it was a lemon, or built on a friday?? Ive worked on many 4x4's and would not own another Samurai. If one was given to me, I'd sell it.
If your dead set on a Suzuki, have at'r. In my experience, they are not reliable, low clearance, and drive like your riding on a pile of rocks. Not trying to mock anyone on here, or "DIS" there ride, just passing on my experience.
Take one for a drive and see how it feels, different stokes for different folks.
Good luck in your venture, let us know how it pans out for you.

Last edited by sikwhiskey; 11-29-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:27 PM

saw the title and thought david suzuki was making truck that runs on biofuel
Old 11-30-2013, 07:32 AM

Every now and then you can find the samurais that have been done properly. I have a 1985 Long wheel base riding on a 8" coil spring suspension lift with Toyota axle's and VW Turbo Diesel motor that will go anywhere a Tacoma or jeep will without breaking my spine. But as most have said the interior is a little small. I guess its all what you want and what works for you
Old 11-30-2013, 10:09 AM

I'm not dead set on Suzuki's or any other breed . The reason I posted was to tap into the experience of members who have used or owned similar off road units . We are looking for a smaller street legal fishing rig like Suzuki , Tracker , Toyota . Shoot , I be happy with a Land Cruiser but they seem to be a little pricey . I'm listening to what people say , the pros and cons .