Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Default Jury barrels

Well maybe the one I got is a crappy one but the bore was so tight that none of my pilot bushings fit. I found one bushing on one of my indicating rods that I barely got in the bore. Couldn't get a bushing started in the muzzle end. I'm hoping that the inconsistent bore size that I was finding with my grizzly rod isn't the norm with these. Something tells me this one might foul bad. So far I'm not believing the hype guess ill see what happens down range.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-18-2013, 01:42 PM

What size bushing, smallest bushing I have is 2.994 for 30 cal
Old 12-18-2013, 02:07 PM

Maybe you should buy the full set of bushings. You will end up using the .2992 or .2994 bushings in his barrels. They will vary less than .0001 from barrel to barrel. If you don't buy the hype it doesn't matter as there will be at least a dozen guys on the firing line this year; including some off the Canadian team running them.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 PM

I do have the whole set of bushings 6.5. And the barrel and all the tooling sat in the shop for days climatizing at room temp. This tube had a 2 inch long loose spot about 4 inches in that was way more than a tenthousandth bigger than the rest. Like I said we will see what happens at the range. How does everything around here turn into a discussion on fclass??? How many br guys are using them? Not that any of that really matters maybe the one I got is just a pos.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-18-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
I do have the whole set of bushings 6.5. And the barrel and all the tooling sat in the shop for days climatizing at room temp. This tube had a 2 inch long loose spot about 4 inches in that was way more than a tenthousandth bigger than the rest. Like I said we will see what happens at the range. How does everything around here turn into a discussion on fclass??? How many br guys are using them? Not that any of that really matters maybe the one I got is just a pos.
If you have a bad barrel, why not take it up privately with the source? Inclusions happen and sometimes they're missed.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 PM

how did you discover the inclusion, and please tell us your experince and i am not trying to poke you in the eye I have a comment but would like to know before I speak my mind, thanks

Cement Bench
Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Precisionshooter

Do you use Deltronic gage pins - increments of 0.0001"?

Did you bore scope the barrel as well?

Bushings / pilots have aren't as exact as some of us would like.

I was told that the barrels are cut rifled but not lapped - like Ron Smith barrels. Anyone know which USA manufacturers don't lap their cut rifled barrels?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:48 PM

Not sure exactly what you mean by inclusions dale, do you mean an inclusion as in in the steel or as in a bad barrel? I wasn't the original purchaser from jury bought it off of a guy on cgn. Like I said earlier I will reserve total judgement until after the first trip to the range. Again cement bench not sure by inclusion exactly what you guys are meaning, what I discovered was part of the barrel that was a good half thou loose that went for a couple inches, I found it running my grizzly rod in the barrel. Does not appear to be an inclusion in the spot in question but I don't have a boroscope to check with.
Leeper
Old 12-18-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
if it is such a pos send it directly to my shop.send it cod.there will be a check in the mail for reimbursement sent immediately.this shows me a complete lack of professionalism on your part.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 PM

It may show a lack of professionalism if I were in fact a gunsmith. But alas I never went to Colorado or served an apprenticeship as a gunsmith. What it shows as far as I'm concerned is someone that feels as though a product is not all its cracked up to be not sure how a jury barrel is any different to a remington 700 or a Chevy truck or any other commercial good. Pretty sure krieger has made a crap barrel or two. And as I said I will reserve my complete judgement until I shoot some groups.
Leeper
Old 12-18-2013, 11:08 PM

Wow a guy posts about a barrel he feels is poorly manufactured and some people act like hes talking about their sister, it is possible for all brands of anything to put out the odd lemon
Old 12-19-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Wow a guy posts about a barrel he feels is poorly manufactured and some people act like hes talking about their sister, it is possible for all brands of anything to put out the odd lemon
If I purchased something you made and felt it wasn't up to standard I would take it up with you before dragging it through a public forum.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Banned

Using one of those crappy Jury barrels in 6BR and being somewhat of a greenhorn at F Class (I apologize), I shot a 73 out of a possible 75 at 700 meters @ Homestead this summer. My barrel is screwed into a crappy Savage action (again, I apologize). I'm gonna borescope and QC my barrel. If it doesn't meet standards, I'll totally disreguard that score and use it for a tomatoe stake....
Old 12-19-2013, 07:47 AM

Here's the results of two 200 yd ladder tests that were a complete failure. Shot with a 257 caliber 1:8 Jury barrel. Using Retumbo and 135 gr bullet. The rifle will be ready to compete with this summer.

photo(9) (1280x956).jpg
Old 12-19-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Without testing it how can one assume its a lemon?

LC
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Default ''lemon''

It probably possible for all manufacturers to put out a ''lemon'' but you would think a guy would actually give it a few trips to the range first before running down a man's product and another's workmanship!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I'm gonna borescope and QC my barrel. If it doesn't meet standards.......sHa_sarcasticlol:
We hope all barrel manufacturers QC their barrels but some may not. Good reason for the person inPersonallyhe barrel to have the proper tools and know how to use them. We should never forget about the element of luck. Personally I like to eliminate variables.

Rob why don't you try to slug the barrel? Might be an educational experience and save u some machine time. I am guessing that the maker ' jury' would like to remedy the problem if there is one.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
We hope all barrel manufacturers QC their barrels but some may not. Good reason for the person inPersonallyhe barrel to have the proper tools and know how to use them. We should never forget about the element of luck. Personally I like to eliminate variables.

Rob why don't you try to slug the barrel? Might be an educational experience and save u some machine time. I am guessing that the maker ' jury' would like to remedy the problem if there is one.
Wow you guys ever work in a machine shop? I don't need to slug it to tell that there is a loose spot I found that already. As far as the being a lemon part I said it wasn't on size funny how I'm an ***** for telling the truth about something. I'm glad you guys are having such great luck with yours but my inbox is filling up with guys that had jury tubes that wernt worth a damn. Seems I've heard as much bad now as good.
Leeper
Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
It probably possible for all manufacturers to put out a ''lemon'' but you would think a guy would actually give it a few trips to the range first before running down a man's product and another's workmanship!
It IS possible for even some of the best to have a product not come out as it should.
Years ago however, an unsatisfied customer would deal with the maker FIRST to allow the maker a chance to address any concerns. Usually they do even if there is some doubt has been my experience.
Today however the world has a different spin and guys are fast to get on the keyboard and spew negativity to the world. Sad really.

Having looked through several of Bobs barrels with a borescope I can see why he does not lap them, the finish is as good as many of the BIG name makers who do lap their barrels.
I am just finishing up a rifle with 1 of his barrels , the express purpose is to see exactly how well they can shoot, how they clean etc. So far they look good, but until I have a couple thousand rounds through 1 will stay neutral on how good they may be.
Having spent some time with him at his shop he strikes me as a 110% stand up guy that would do what ever it took to make a guy happy.
His ingenuity is impressive too!
Personally I have a real good feeling about the soon to be completed rifle
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Wow you guys ever work in a machine shop? I don't need to slug it to tell that there is a loose spot I found that already. As far as the being a lemon part I said it wasn't on size funny how I'm an ***** for telling the truth about something. I'm glad you guys are having such great luck with yours but my inbox is filling up with guys that had jury tubes that wernt worth a damn. Seems I've heard as much bad now as good.
Rob
I OWN a machineshop. Why not just call Bob and ask him about it rather than starting a maybe there is an issue thread?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Yes you own a machine shop, arnt you a welder by trade? Again I found a measurable difference in the bore size I don't see how you guys keep denying that is a problem, again as I said i want to shoot it first before total judgement is made. Why do I feel if this post was about any American brand of barrel it would have went in a totally different direction.
Leeper
Old 12-19-2013, 09:50 AM

Rob -- why chamber it --- wouldn't it be best to return it before use?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:57 AM

It's chambered and on the rifle not worth the hassle to try and send it back for what I payed for it
Leeper
Old 12-19-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
It's chambered and on the rifle not worth the hassle to try and send it back for what I payed for it
Maybe there is a reason you got it cheap?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
If I purchased something you made and felt it wasn't up to standard I would take it up with you before dragging it through a public forum.
I agree but it only started as a question from the op and he gets jumped on like hes a retard and there is no way this could be true was my only point i am with you on going to the manufacturer first but would he have gotten jumped on for saying he had a faulty remington or weatherby probably not but mention somebodys favorite barrel and look out fellas either way it will be curious to see the outcome
Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Without testing it how can one assume its a lemon?

LC
You cant know i am only stating it is a possibility for any manufacturer
Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Yes you own a machine shop, arnt you a welder by trade? Again I found a measurable difference in the bore size I don't see how you guys keep denying that is a problem, again as I said i want to shoot it first before total judgement is made. Why do I feel if this post was about any American brand of barrel it would have went in a totally different direction.
Yes I hold several tickets in various trades.
I do not suggest that you have not found an issue, simply that maybe a call to Bob was in order before posting on a public forum.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I agree but it only started as a question from the op and he gets jumped on like hes a retard and there is no way this could be true was my only point i am with you on going to the manufacturer first but would he have gotten jumped on for saying he had a faulty remington or weatherby probably not but mention somebodys favorite barrel and look out fellas either way it will be curious to see the outcome
I'm with you 100%. I am amazed at how touchy people appear to be about this! People and products get dis-respected every day on here and rarely have I seen such a spirited offensive-defense!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Banned

It's good that people who are skilled in a relevant trade can make observations on a certain product.

If I bought that barrel, took it to get chambered and installed, would I have been told about any potential issues with the bore? Or just given the new gun and a bill?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I'm with you 100%. I am amazed at how touchy people appear to be about this! People and products get dis-respected every day on here and rarely have I seen such a spirited offensive-defense!
Maybe the same reason people choose to defend poor chamber jobs and offer to "get to the bottom of it" which turns out to be lip service

LC