Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2013, 02:23 PM

Default Medicine Hat

Since I'm only a couple weeks away from starting my new job out in Medicine Hat... It seems like a good time to ask those that are in that area...

What do I need to know?

Do any of you guys (or ladies) WHL fans that get Tigers season tickets?

Already know what areas to avoid buying in, in regards to the flooding and such. Any areas to avoid for other reasons?

Any of you guys waterfowl hunters out there?

We are making a full relocation and are in for the long haul. I've seen people talking about how hard it is to make friends out there... I'm not concerned about that though.

Also seen people mention the photo radars... also not concerned about that (I'm not a speeder).

I am really looking forward to smaller city life again, the wife and myself are done with this chaos in Calgary.

Look forward to meeting some new hunter/fisherman folks!

No, I'm NOT "trying out for Duck Dynasty"...
Old 12-30-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Since I'm only a couple weeks away from starting my new job out in Medicine Hat... It seems like a good time to ask those that are in that area...

What do I need to know?

Already know what areas to avoid buying in, in regards to the flooding and such. Any areas to avoid for other reasons?

We are making a full relocation and are in for the long haul. I've seen people talking about how hard it is to make friends out there... I'm not concerned about that though.

Also seen people mention the photo radars... also not concerned about that (I'm not a speeder).

I am really looking forward to smaller city life again, the wife and myself are done with this chaos in Calgary.

If you are from Calgary you should be concerned about photo radar, speed limits in town are all over the place, double lane highways at 50km. Not anything like Calgary where the desire is to move traffic, here the desire is to make money. I've never found MH to be unfriendly, but I have been here my whole life. Lots of waterfowl opportunities here as well, good luck and welcome!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-30-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
If you are from Calgary you should be concerned about photo radar, speed limits in town are all over the place, double lane highways at 50km. Not anything like Calgary where the desire is to move traffic, here the desire is to make money.
Well... Hopefully the signs are posted.

As strange as it may sound, I actually look forward to slowing down... this city is insanity!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Well... Hopefully the signs are posted.

As strange as it may sound, I actually look forward to slowing down... this city is insanity!
The speed of life here is much slower than Calgary, if you really want to embrace it and be slow you won't get many idiots right on your tail cursing you, heck half the city has embraced their slow side. LOL

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-30-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:

What do I need to know?

Brush up on your Spanish, pretty close to the Mexican boarder there.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:49 PM

Born, raised and lived in the Hat.....Speed limit 50, they drive 40...Very frustrating coming home and driving...As for the Hatters complaining about photo radar, all cities do it...Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Red Deer..ETC..

Sorry to say, but Hatters complain about everything (NOT ALL)..Photo radar, Event center, off leash dog parks, Veiner center, City dump (Rats), City Hall, Flooding, Leisure Center, Fog lights, Police budget,Lack of snow clearing and lawn cutting....Should I go on...LOL
Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Born, raised and lived in the Hat.....Speed limit 50, they drive 40...Very frustrating coming home and driving...As for the Hatters complaining about photo radar, all cities do it...Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Red Deer..ETC..

Sorry to say, but Hatters complain about everything (NOT ALL)..Photo radar, Event center, off leash dog parks, Veiner center, City dump (Rats), City Hall, Flooding, Leisure Center, Fog lights, Police budget,Lack of snow clearing and lawn cutting....Should I go on...LOL
That's because 3/4 of them come from Saskatchewan and are retired farmers
Old 12-30-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
??????
Old 12-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
Quote:
??????
It's to the west.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
It's to the west.
Again...?????....am I "MISSING" something here..LOL
Old 12-30-2013, 03:56 PM

Make sure you got Air conditioning.....best advice in this thread.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:58 PM

Default Welcome

I'm a wild fowler buddy gots lots of local goose shooting give me a shout when you get here.

Regards
Danny
Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 PM

Medicine Hat home of Newly Weds and Nearly Deads.
All joking aside I lived there for a few years and enjoyed it, but it sure gets hot there.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Yes ...yes it is
At this time Tiger season tickets require aspot waiting list. But this year walk ups are easy to get
Old 12-30-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
x100...LOL
Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Pm incoming juggernaught.

Ps enjoy the year round half built roads!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry to say, but Hatters complain about everything........,Lack of snow clearing and lawn cutting....Should I go on...LOL
In Medicine Hat the sun clears any snow. The last 2 years there was barely any snow anytime i came into the city, it was amazing - I felt like moving there.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scales View Post
In Medicine Hat the sun clears any snow. The last 2 years there was barely any snow anytime i came into the city, it was amazing - I felt like moving there.
Sorry, meant to say people complaining about private residences not cleared of snow....As an example of Hatters complaining about EVERYTHING in the city...LOL
Old 12-30-2013, 05:29 PM

Sounds like you know how to do a lot of complaining....must be from living in the Hat!

I came back to the Hat after a few years in the Calgary area...and glad to be back.
it is what you make it....
I lived in the south for 20 years, now live in the north and dont mind it as south just seems too busy.

Lots of hunting, fishing...
And air conditioning is a must as others have said.
Quote:

What do I need to know?

Quote:
Sorry, meant to say people complaining about private residences not cleared of snow....As an example of Hatters complaining about EVERYTHING in the city...LOL
Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Sounds like you know how to do a lot of complaining....must be from living in the Hat!

I came back to the Hat after a few years in the Calgary area...and glad to be back.
it is what you make it....
I lived in the south for 20 years, now live in the north and dont mind it as south just seems too busy.

Lots of hunting, fishing...
And air conditioning is a must as others have said.
LOL....Your username here looks pretty familar...."Ticked off, Tickled Pink column" Ring a bell.....

I am guessing you did not grow up and live in the hat for 22 years
Old 12-30-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
LOL....Your username here looks pretty familar...."Ticked off, Tickled Pink column" Ring a bell.....

I am guessing you did not grow up and live in the hat for 22 years
Nope ....ive only been here 25 years...
Sounds like u might a used tickled pink a bit much.
Great u don't live here now tho.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Nope ....ive only been here 25 years...
Sounds like u might a used tickled pink a bit much.
Great u don't live here now tho.
haha...I read it but will never comment on the silliness...but know you comment on it...Only 25 years.......LOL....don't imagine you have any roots in the surrounding area including Saskatchewan....Where did you graduate from in the hat...Just wondering?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 PM

Default medicine hat

Welcome to the hat, as locals call it. I moved here from Calgary in 1985 and don't miss the mad pace. First the summers are very hot my wife loves it. Very good goose and duck hunting all near the city. Some large rainbow in Bulls Head res. Cypress hills is a jewel 10-15 deg. cooler in the summer if you are into camping. about 40 min away. People are friendly, I have no problem making friends here. We have a active gun club with pistol and rifle both. Also a very active trap club. The city has lots of golf course's and quite a few parks.
We have rattle snakes , black widow spiders, But I have been here since 85 and have only seen a few. It is a great community to raise children. We raised two boys and they are both well established here. Our boys learned to ski at Elk water and went on to race all over the southern ski region which included the rocky mountains. We are quite content with our move and have no regrets.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
haha...I read it but will never comment on the silliness...but know you comment on it...Only 25 years.......LOL....don't imagine you have any roots in the surrounding area including Saskatchewan....Where did you graduate from in the hat...Just wondering?
Didnt graduate here...been here since College days.
I cant believe u read that s..t!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Welcome to the hat, as locals call it. I moved here from Calgary in 1985 and don't miss the mad pace. First the summers are very hot my wife loves it. Very good goose and duck hunting all near the city. Some large rainbow in Bulls Head res. Cypress hills is a jewel 10-15 deg. cooler in the summer if you are into camping. about 40 min away. People are friendly, I have no problem making friends here. We have a active gun club with pistol and rifle both. Also a very active trap club. The city has lots of golf course's and quite a few parks.
We have rattle snakes , black widow spiders, But I have been here since 85 and have only seen a few. It is a great community to raise children. We raised two boys and they are both well established here. Our boys learned to ski at Elk water and went on to race all over the southern ski region which included the rocky mountains. We are quite content with our move and have no regrets.
x2

I loved growing up in the Hat and had alot of fun....It is a great place to raise your kids and grow as a family....But as your kids get older, they are looking at bigger things....and as most of my peers from Mccoy HighSchool, we moved away for better opportunities....It is very slow paced there and if I had an opportunity to retire, I would choose the hat...

On another note, the young people in the Hat think the veiner center is not important and choose not to spend their tax dollars towards Veiner center, have a meal, that you pay for non the less, play a game of cards, visit with friends...This is priceless.....

Think ahead in the future, all your family are gone and what do you do? I can still be alive with other seniors at the Veiner Center.....Share a laugh and a smile:0)
Old 12-30-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Didnt graduate here...been here since College days.
I cant believe u read that s..t!
lol....Your same username is on that S@#T

Since College Days...LOL.....Your a newbie...To the HAt
Old 12-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Default Moving

Only 4 more months until im out of this dustbowl....moving to the Windy city in the spring.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
lol....Your same username is on that S@#T

Since College Days...LOL.....Your a newbie...To the HAt
Somebody....not me
I sure feel old for a newbie.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Real Estate agent has been told... no A/C... no good!

Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 AM

Default Medicine Hat

I feel sorry for you my man. your moving to a city full of nutjobs. been here 13 years now because of work ,cant wait to get the hell out. just my opinion.