Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 PM
Banned

Default humbled on last day of season.

so fellow AO member YEE-HAW and i met up at lac st anne for last day of season. beautifull blue skies, and not another angler in sight. wasn't long before i was being schooled, and after a few hours it was yee haw 20 me 2. fish were following his hook like the puck followed gretzky. by the end of the day he had over 30 to my 7 (though i caught the biggest). still, it was a great day to close out the season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ld2.jpg (33.0 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg ld1.jpg (12.6 KB, 260 views)
Old 04-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Yes it was a great day, to bad lady luck did not have your back. Maby in may i'll let you have another shot at the title.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 AM

So Ninja...

No disrespect intended, but your story would've been better with some background details for comparison sake. Jigging vs. Dead baits....spoon vs. jig....jigging style...how was the differences in bottom structure in your hole vs. his?

I am always curious as we had a very similar scenario yesterday. Lots of active, aggressive fish but it seemed difficult to get them to commit. I threw everything in my tackle box at them and jigged it all a million different ways. In the end, it seemed the only thing tha helped was changing hooks every few minutes so that it was something new to them. Dead baits got hit a few times...then nothing.

I try to figure out as much as I can when seeing this much "fish behaviour"...so any details you can share would be appreciated.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
So Ninja...

No disrespect intended, but your story would've been better with some background details for comparison sake. Jigging vs. Dead baits....spoon vs. jig....jigging style...how was the differences in bottom structure in your hole vs. his?

I am always curious as we had a very similar scenario yesterday. Lots of active, aggressive fish but it seemed difficult to get them to commit. I threw everything in my tackle box at them and jigged it all a million different ways. In the end, it seemed the only thing tha helped was changing hooks every few minutes so that it was something new to them. Dead baits got hit a few times...then nothing.

I try to figure out as much as I can when seeing this much "fish behaviour"...so any details you can share would be appreciated.
basically i stuck with jig head tipped with minnow which has ALWAYS produced well in same location.
yeehaw started with same presentation as me, but after he caught about 15 or so he went to some other presentations some of which i'm not allowed to say on this forum. didn't really matter, cause he connected with all of them. i think he dropped his cigar in the hole and a pike jumped right out onto the ice to get it. lol.
some days are like that.
as for structure, pretty consistent smooth bottom for both of us.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 AM

Back in the day my buddy and I were fishing side by side off of a dock in Manitoba-loser had to buy the winner dinner and beer on the way home.
I was up on him by more than a few fish, I was bragging and he was getting ****ed off.

I ran into the bushes to take a squirt and when I came back I did not catch another fish for the rest of the day.

So, We go the bar and order dinner and a round of beers on my dime, when he starts laughing his ass off.
Finally he comes clean and admits that he squirted the rest of his bottle of Muskol over my tub of minnows while I was attending to the call of nature.

After that I always bring my minnows with me, whenever I go to the washroom.
I still have some old red devils in my tackle box that are missing paint from where I touched them not knowing I had Muskol on my hands that fateful day in 1978
I smile every time I look at those old lures.

###tard!!

Last edited by omega50; 04-02-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
basically i stuck with jig head tipped with minnow which has ALWAYS produced well in same location.
yeehaw started with same presentation as me, but after he caught about 15 or so he went to some other presentations some of which i'm not allowed to say on this forum. didn't really matter, cause he connected with all of them. i think he dropped his cigar in the hole and a pike jumped right out onto the ice to get it. lol.
some days are like that.
as for structure, pretty consistent smooth bottom for both of us.
Thanks Ninja....i can appreciate the secrecy. I also had a 'jumper' on the last day. Spit the hook right at the edge of the hole and as I raced to grab him, he hit the gas and popped right out of the hole...too bad he was facing the wrong way or he would've been home free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Back in the day my buddy and I were fishing side by side off of a dock in Manitoba-loser had to buy the winner dinner and beer on the way home.
I was up on him by more than a few fish, I was bragging and he was getting ****ed off.

I ran into the bushes to take a squirt and when I came back I did not catch another fish for the rest of the day.

So, We go the bar and order dinner and a round of beers on my dime, when he starts laughing his ass off.
Finally he comes clean and admits that he squirted the rest of his bottle of Muskol over my tub of minnows while I was attending to the call of nature.

After that I always bring my minnows with me, whenever I go to the washroom.
I still have some old red devils in my tackle box that are missing paint from where I touched them not knowing I had Muskol on my hands that fateful day in 1978
I smile every time I look at those old lures.

###tard!!
Haha! Dirty trick...you should've waited for your buddy to go for his own call of nature and then 'squirt' into his tub of minnows!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 AM

I see you went back to your honey hole even? and still out fished lolo I think maybe YeeHaa was trying harder?? anyways I was at Wab for last day and was humbled by the lake I guess that's why its called fishing not catching haha It has been a great year on the ice!! I even tagged out just across from your spot on Saturday
Red Neck Out
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Thanks Ninja....i can appreciate the secrecy. I also had a 'jumper' on the last day. Spit the hook right at the edge of the hole and as I raced to grab him, he hit the gas and popped right out of the hole...too bad he was facing the wrong way or he would've been home free!

Haha! Dirty trick...you should've waited for your buddy to go for his own call of nature and then 'squirt' into his tub of minnows!
not trying to be secretive, it's just that some of the lures he uses might get me suspended or banned by typing out the name. only a guy who wears a flying squirrel hat would use x-rated lures. lol
Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 PM

haha good stuff
Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
not trying to be secretive, it's just that some of the lures he uses might get me suspended or banned by typing out the name. only a guy who wears a flying squirrel hat would use x-rated lures. lol
Hahaha......know I don't wanna know!

Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 AM

The lures that Waterninja are talking about are the chartruse Len thompson spoons. They are the ones that have the same pattern as the green gayer, but are yellow with the red spots. He calls them " kitty" lures for lac of better term.