Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 PM

Unhappy 8 Year old shoots self in head at gun show with Uzi

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/27/boy....ap/index.html

WESTFIELD, Massachusetts (AP) -- An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

An 8-year-old shot and killed himself with an Uzi submachine gun like the weapon shown here.

The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, Police Lt. Lawrence Valliere said.

The boy was with a certified instructor and "was shooting the weapon down range when the force of the weapon made it travel up and back toward his head, where he suffered the injury," a police statement said. Police called it a "self-inflicted accidental shooting."

The victim was taken to Baystate Medical Center where he died. His name was not released.

Although the death appears to be an accident, police and the Hampden district attorney's office were investigating, officials said.

The club said on its Web site that the event, run in conjunction with C.O.P Firearms and Training, is "all legal and fun." People will be allowed to fire weapons at vehicles, pumpkins and other targets, it said.

Officials with the private club and the firearms group could not be reached for comment. A message left on a club answering machine was not returned. The C.O.P. group's machine clicked off without taking a message.

The sportsman's club was founded in 1949 and describes itself on its Web site as an organization that promotes "the interest of legal sport with rod, gun, and bow and arrow, both directly and through training."

It has eight firing ranges as well as archery and fishing facilities located on 375 acres in Westfield, about 100 miles west of Boston.

Who in thier right mind would let an 8yr old shoot an UZI? Yet another reason why those who own or use firearms are painted in a bad light. Horrible
Old 10-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

There is so much wrong with this I won't even touch it !!!!

Its just to bad when young ones have to pay for the stupidity of elders... All I can say is WTF.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:02 PM

Exclamation WTF is right

Gotta wonder about those yanks sometimes, 8 year old? UZI 9mm?????
Certified instructor at 8 years old???????????????????????? WTF!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Eyeswideshut

Its such a tragedy when these types of things happen,
Old 10-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

You know, I have my son starting to shoot right now.
Its one bullet in the gun. (the rest are in my pocket!)If the good folks who put on this demonstration would have had that rule (For the little guys) this would not have been a problem.
Once again this was not the guns fault.. I would wrap it up to improper supervision by both the parents and the instructors.

My god what a way to lose a child, or to have that happen in your presence.

I am not sure if I could go on if something like that happened.

Jamie
Old 10-27-2008, 05:13 PM

As much as some of us complain about gun regulations(me included) it shows that in some circumsatnces strict laws can save lives. An 8 year old shooting a fully automatic is just plain stupidity.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
The club said on its Web site that the event, run in conjunction with C.O.P Firearms and Training, is "all legal and fun."
What a freakin' comment to make. Not only do we give an eight-year old kid an uzi, but it's "all fun" when he dies from injuries sustained while firing it?
This kind of poop infuriates me.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 10-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

This kind of thing is WHY I, for one, and after 50+ years of shooting, a great deal of "professional training" and several accidental discharges WITHOUT any injuries or serious property damage, am quite concerned about the recent and growing fascination with "black guns" among so many younger and novice shooters.

The gunstore in Vancouver, where I have been a VERY active customer for over 25 yrs., has become SO "black gun" oriented that I no longer feel comfortable there and now am taking my business elsewhere. I have seen dangerous and deliberate mishandling of pistols by staff there and am not interested in getting shot.

The problem is, IMHO, due to a weak society in which "freedom" and irresponsiblity are mistaken for each other and the mass media is allowed to make huge profits by depicting misuse of guns while continually slagging hunting. The whole concept of wanting to own guns made only for killing other humans while not owning even ONE hunting gun is simply foreign to me.....and is only too common here in Vancouver, especially among certain ethno-cultural groups.

I was allowed to start shooting at age 12, in the Junior Sportsman Programme at my junior high, imagine that NOW, also in RCSCC Hampton Grey, VC, DSC. and with one of myn uncles on our property. He was a RCN vet of WWII, served in four invasions as an Oerlikon gunner aboard HMCS Prince David and know how to handle a gun.

I honestly would NOT start a kid shooting until he is 12 and would also use the one cartridge per time rule. But, what is "cool" usually wins in contemporary society and thus we see tragedies like this. Wonder what Wendie will have to say about this?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:39 PM
gitrdun

Too stupid.....no comment
Old 10-27-2008, 05:50 PM

Default Anti-Gun Slant at CNN

Gentlemen,

While this incident is tragic, it should also be noted that the only reason that it got national or international attention was because it is inherently an anti-gun story.

You will never hear any pro-gun story from the liberal media, ever.

While it's not fair, we gun owners must go out of our way to show that we are responsible citizens and try to prevent this kind of tragedy in the future.

Elk Hunter
Old 10-27-2008, 06:25 PM

Default kids

My boy is 7 and just got his first 22, single shot Crickett, one shot at a time, bullets in my pocket, the lockout button (key required) pushed the minute done shooting, me by his side coaching proper handling and safety practices the whole time, I don't walk away until the gun is locked out, it is amazing how fast he picked up on safe gun handling and really "grows up" the minute he gets his hands on the rifle, and actually a pretty good shot, got his first (squirrell a couple weeks back. There is no way I would let him take it out alone for a few years yet, Some kids "Mature" alot faster than others but how much could that poor kid have learned being one year older than my son? UNBELEAVABLE someone would let an 8 year old fire an UZI, I fired one when I was 16 and could barely hold onto it.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

This is just a freak accident and I grieve for the parents,they must be going through hell right now...
Old 10-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Banned

Default Moron

While I feel terrible for the parents and family and the child, this kid should in no way have been shooting an Uzi. Just not sure what the hell this parent was thinking. Not an exclusive problem to the gun community though...how many times have we heard about 8 year olds getting killed on quads?

I guess it;s hard for parents to say no to their kids or something these days. Is it any wonder we are getting more and more of our freedoms taken away when so many people so flagrantly disregard (as Kutenay pointed out) the responsibility part of the equation. Freedom and responsibility go hand in hand. Too bad the responsible people have to have their freedoms taken away because of the actions of the people that cannot comprehend the possible (or even likely) consequences of their lack of responsibility.

No worries...if Obama gets in I don't think we'll have to worry about gun problems in the states anymore.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 PM

wow my wife was pi$$ed when I got my boy (8yrs old) a pelet gun . cant imagine how those pepole feel, so sad
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter 55 View Post
Gentlemen,

While this incident is tragic, it should also be noted that the only reason that it got national or international attention was because it is inherently an anti-gun story.

While it's not fair, we gun owners must go out of our way to show that we are responsible citizens and try to prevent this kind of tragedy in the future.

Elk Hunter
x10.................
Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter 55 View Post
Gentlemen,

Elk Hunter

Well first of all yes there is all kinds of positive storys out there,i.e. hunting
magazines, gun magazines, wild t.v., outdoor shows on national channels and the such so its not all negative other people than just us wacth these shows.

As far as these people getting any positive coverage,, sorry they don't deserve it not even close. As a fact they should pull any licenese's they have and the instructor's should be charged with negligence !!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 AM

Bah.

Idiots kill themselves and their kids in cars every day and nobody blinks an eye. The only reason this one got any press is because a gun was involved, and liberals are afraid of guns, especially the scary looking sport-utility guns.

Look for the usual suspects to spin this as some kind of earth shattering calamity and hype the tar out of it to sell copy. Get a bloody grip, people.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Albertahog

Default Truely sad.

IT is truely a sad accident and from the way i read it it's just that a accident do you think for one min.That anyone could of forseen what was going to happen "I THINK NOT" not even the certified instructor or the parent that must of gave consent to shoot the gun but it dosent say that in the story.If they Knew it was going to happen they would of stoped it wouldnt you think.

It is a legal event from what i read it is unfortunate what happen maybe its time time rethink the age where one can pick up a gun and shoot it in event's like that yahh i am sure they would tell me where to go with a idea like that u.s.a has there own laws like it or not.
I for one dont like the idea of 12 year olds hunting here in alberta just a little to young for me just my 2 cent.
Yes i know you do gooders teaching your kid's with your ,single shot ,bb gun etc.saying it wont happen to your kid-kids truth is accident's happen i dont care where you live .
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
IT is truely a sad accident and from the way i read it it's just that a accident do you think for one min.That anyone could of forseen what was going to happen "I THINK NOT" not even the certified instructor or the parent that must of gave consent to shoot the gun but it dosent say that .If they Knew it was going to happen they would of stoped it wouldnt you think.

No, no, no this is so far from being an accident it ain't even funny.. First of all most accidents are preventable this one is so preventable,, this my freinds is negligence in the first degree !!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Alberta Hog, you don't like the idea of a 12yr old hunting but you think it's OK for an 8yr old to shoot an Uzi???
Any 12 yr old that is out hunting is going to be under adult supervision as well.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonburrows View Post
My boy is 7... There is no way I would let him take it out alone for a few years yet,.
Uh, for about another 5 years, no? Needs at least a Minor's licence.
Actually, I was surprised that the Firarms act doesn't mention any required supervision for a kid with a Minor's Licence. Is that correct?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 AM

8 yrs old shooting a uzi with more than one shot in it ******ed poor guy WTF is wrong with people thats just not safe
Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM

Anyone remember the AB kid that shot his dad's .44 mag DA revolver for the first and last time? Fully loaded cylinder to top it off.First round at the target second round inadvertantly fires under the chin during recoil.Totally avoidable with a little common sense.......................Sad deal all the way around...................Harold
Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Uh, for about another 5 years, no? Needs at least a Minor's licence.
Actually, I was surprised that the Firarms act doesn't mention any required supervision for a kid with a Minor's Licence. Is that correct?

i think i know what you mean and if i answer wrong to this i apologize. But any 12 year old with a minor FAC must be within communication distance (being able to hear the adult CLEARLY not just mumbles) of the adult with the FAC at any time while hunting, now if the 12 year old didnt have the FAC then he must be withtin arms length of the adult who has the FAC.

And this story is tragic, but do they really think an 8 year old can handle a machine gun? thats rediculous, they shoulda started him on a pistol and seen how much recoil that has before they go on to a machine gun thats obviously going to recoil if you hold the trigger. Some adults are so stupid, im only 18 and i would of walked out of that gun show seeing an 8 year old shoot an uzi. People need to learn to be more responsible.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
i think i know what you mean and if i answer wrong to this i apologize. But any 12 year old with a minor FAC must be within communication distance (being able to hear the adult CLEARLY not just mumbles) of the adult with the FAC at any time while hunting, now if the 12 year old didnt have the FAC then he must be withtin arms length of the adult who has the FAC.
Not sure about that one. I've found nothing in the act or the fact sheet about supervision of a minor (12 or over) with a Minor's Licence. Here is what the fact sheet says about kids who DON'T have a Minor's Licence:

"Without a minor’s licence, the minor may still use firearms of any class providing they are under the direct and immediate supervision of someone who is licensed to possess that class of firearm. This generally means that the licensed person must be close enough to them to take immediate action to prevent any unsafe or illegal use of the firearm."
So even then "arms length" isn't specifically cited (and we have had discussions of what this means on this board).

The fact sheet says minors with a licence can "borrow firearms" (because they can't be registered to them) and even acquire ammunition. That sounds like being on your own to me. Now it DOES say that the firearms officer "MAY" put conditions of supervision on the licence, but it doesn't say they have to.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM

hmm well i took my FAC course this summer and according to the instructors and the fish and wildlife guy who came in, it said all minors with a license can be within communication distance until they are 18, and all minors without one must be one arms length away, i could be wrong though thats just what i was told while taking the course, even when i took my hunters training i was told this too. but again i could be wrong and i would go by what is written rather than what i have heard too so i dont know.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:46 AM

I am not sure I disagree with a law allowing kids to shoot firearms because as many of you fathers pointed out, with strict supervision and instruction it teaches youth about responsibility and discipline. A childs ability will vary so the instructor needs to start small with the kid and work their way up, no "here's an uzi, give er a try". But from this story we can't really tell what happened. We need to put many precautions in place but there also has to be a line drawn, the ultimate precaution would be eliminate all guns, right? And I am not going there...

My thoughts are with this 8 yr old boy's family.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Wow, got to love the mentality of some of those americans. An 8 year old is a grade 3 student. That's a small child. WTF is a child doing shooting a centrefire rifle period?? Get him shooting some rimfire first. Plain stupidity on the parents fault.
Unfortunately, in this day in age, there is no survival of the fittest so we are left with millions of morons walking the planet.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Albertahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
No, no, no this is so far from being an accident it ain't even funny.. First of all most accidents are preventable this one is so preventable,, this my freinds is negligence in the first degree !!!!
negligence in the first degree !!!! for what not forseeing into the future and yes as you put it "MOST ACCIDENTS ARE PREVENTABLE" How do you pick them and this little story isnt telling the rest of the story i am sure

Quote:
Alberta Hog, you don't like the idea of a 12yr old hunting but you think it's OK for an 8yr old to shoot an Uzi???
Any 12 yr old that is out hunting is going to be under adult supervision as well.
rigg Dogg no i dont like the idea a 12yr old hunting with a gun dont take it personal they still can hunt and no i dont think its ok for a 8 yr old to shoot a uzi never say it was ok give your head a shake { well you say any 12yr old that is out hunting is going to be under adult supervision }

Fact is i am sure this 8 yr old had supervision and yet a accident happen sad story but cant be helped no matter what we say or do it will not bring back the little 8 yr old.my 2 cent
Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
negligence in the first degree !!!! for what not forseeing into the future and yes as you put it "MOST ACCIDENTS ARE PREVENTABLE" How do you pick them and this little story isnt telling the rest of the story i am sure
So you honestly can't see where the negligence is in this situation ??? that worries me big time !!!! And yah I got no problem picking the preventable accidents from the not preventable ones,, its not really that difficult of a task.. As far as not knowing the whole story,, there's not much else to know,, an uzi was placed in the hands of an 8 year old,, thats "wrong" END OF STORY...