Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Default Close fishing for kids near Airdrie?

Just curious if anyone can recommend somewhere to take my 4 year old out to that is near Airdrie. I'd drive maybe an hour tops. I'm hearing DeWitt's is pretty much empty now and just full of weeds, and thinking Nose Creek Pond/Airdrie Pond is likely empty too, and not really my favourite place to fish. I'd really like to take him out, it's been 2-3 weeks since we've been out anywhere. I just don't want to go somewhere we're guaranteed to get skunked.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Head out to Dickson trout pond, always a ton of fish to catch there.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
Head out to Dickson trout pond, always a ton of fish to catch there.
Yeah, I guess I could do that. We had good luck there last year. I thought it was a bit further, but looks like it's about an hour away.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2014, 10:55 AM

If you really want to keep the kids interested. PCR is the spot for them. They wont have time to do anything but reel in Walleye. Just a jig head and a piece of smelt is all you need. Set them up on the dock and let them have a blast.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Default Crossfield

There are some stocked ponds on the westside of Crossfield, ten minutes north of you.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
There are some stocked ponds on the westside of Crossfield, ten minutes north of you.
We've fished there a few times, but are there any fish left in there at this time of year?
Old 08-14-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
If you really want to keep the kids interested. PCR is the spot for them. They wont have time to do anything but reel in Walleye. Just a jig head and a piece of smelt is all you need. Set them up on the dock and let them have a blast.
Where is the dock located down there? I haven't been there yet. It's hard for me to find a full day to go out fishing, so 3 hrs of driving is a tough one, but I'd like to get down there at some point. I really miss good walleye fishing. We've done Sylvan a few time and caught quite a few up there, but it's not very fun for shore fishing there.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchapple View Post
Where is the dock located down there? I haven't been there yet. It's hard for me to find a full day to go out fishing, so 3 hrs of driving is a tough one, but I'd like to get down there at some point. I really miss good walleye fishing. We've done Sylvan a few time and caught quite a few up there, but it's not very fun for shore fishing there.
x2 on JTS recommendation.

Dock is located at the campground/boat launch.

Fishing at the bridge on the highway is great shore fishing, as there is a deep spot there. Sit on the rocks on the south side and cast at 45 degrees out from the point. Slip bobber, smelts and a medium sized treble hook (or single). You should have fish in no time. Bring worms too, incase thats the meal ticket on the desired day!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:00 AM

dewitts still has a ton of fish in it, as well as airdrie pond, my kids always use a piece of cheese off the bottom for dewitts and for airdrie pond they just let it hang a couple feet off the dock. theres a little fish pond off the fish hachery on blackfoot trail and deerfoot in calgary, not sure what the rules are but my kids went once and never shut up about it since.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Apologies for the ignorance, but what's/where's "PCR"? *EDIT* ...nm, I googled it. Looks like a good spot...