Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM

Default Yellow Labs

My wife and I are interested in getting a Golden (Yellow) Lab Pup this spring. Just interested if anybody knows of any Reputable Lab breeders in the Edmonton area or anywhere in Alberta. We are interested in the English type Lab ( Big Head).

Thanks.

A.H

Last edited by A.H.; 12-31-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Mistake it title
Old 12-31-2008, 12:17 PM

There is no such animal as a Golden Lab. There are Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers. Goldens have long hair and come in different shades of red and blond to almost white whereas the Labs have short hair and come in yellow, chocolate, and black.

Which are you looking for?

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 PM

Sorry, my mistake. As you can see I changed it in my post to yellow.

A.H
Old 12-31-2008, 12:37 PM

lol....that didn't take long. I have freinds with Labs, so I could see the colour correction coming reeeeeeeel fast.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
There is no such animal as a Golden Lab. There are Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers. Goldens have long hair and come in different shades of red and blond to almost white whereas the Labs have short hair and come in yellow, chocolate, and black.

Which are you looking for?
They also come in red!

Cat
Old 12-31-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
They also come in red!

Cat
They sure do!

They are actually yellow (genetically)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fox Red Lab.jpg (107.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 PM

Don't want to set the bar too high, but this looks like a good spot to show off a Duck Dog or two

dd 1.JPG

dd4.jpg
Old 01-01-2009, 01:42 PM

There are also Silver labs as well now, as well as fox red, our breeder was from the Gibbons area and would recomend them for sure.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:25 PM

Do you know the name of your breeder?

A.H
Old 01-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Theres a Lab Breeder out by the Cardiff Golf and Country Club it's South of it to be Specific. Don't know the name but there is a sign there
Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

AH

I can highly recomend Ring Neck Kennels out by Strathmore. Not sure if they would be "english" type. But I do know I have the smartest dog in the world thanks to them.
Serriously, our dog "Bear" is just comming up on 10 months and is so well behaved its amazing.
Perfect family dog.

I just have her trained now to go sit at the front door when the doorbell rings. She greats our guests with a wagging tail, not a cold nose and big paws. Its nice to see.
Next up will be to bring my paper up to me in my bedroom!!

Jamie
Old 01-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox red lab View Post
They sure do!

They are actually yellow (genetically)
The ones my friend has from Nova Scotia are as red as a red daschund or light coloured irish setter!
Cat
Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
We are interested in the English type Lab ( Big Head).
If you are interested in the lab for looks, what you are interested in is the show lines. The breed standards for the show arena have slowly moved towards a "square head", much like a rottwieler. The body type has also moved to shorter legs and a blocky chest. Their are alot of breeders in Canada breeding this type of Lab. You can get a breeders list from the CKC. I would suggest this to discourage the "backyard puppy mill". Lab breedings have exploded in the last year here in Alberta.

Keep in mind that the hunting genetics are still in these dogs, most of them haven't been out in the woods in generations. They are not bred for these instincts at all. They are bred purely for looks.

If however you want a dog from established hunting lines you'll have to do ALOT of research. Hunting breeding is much further and farther between. The top pick is always determined far in advance. These people are looking to run these dogs in competition.

Good dogs can be found in almost any breeding, especially with Labs. Their background and genetics are very forgiving and solid. Not alot of "bad" Labs out there. But like anything you don't get world records from the couch potatoe just the same as you won't have a hunting dog if all he/she gets to chase is crumbs off the dining room table.

As for coloring. There are only 3 recongnized coat colors in the Lab breed: Black, Chocolate and Yellow. "Reds and Silvers" are considered Chocolates on their breeding papers. They are considered in breeding circles much like the "labradoodle" as more of a flavor of the month dog and not considered "proper breeding".
Old 01-01-2009, 09:54 PM

I have to go along with what Jamie said. We reciently got adopted by an 8 year old Black English Lab female and boys I gotta tell you inside a very few days she had my wife and me perfictly trained.
Seriousely she is a wonderfull companion dog, quad trained [can ride behind me for hours] and able to keep three tennis balls and three grand kids busy all afternoon.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 PM

If anybody was looking for a hunting type lab, I'd get a hold of the Alberta Clippers hunting retreiving association. They might know of somebody with a litter. They have several breeds in the club, but labs seem to be dominant. I think they do a demo at northlands during the outdoorsman show there...
Old 01-01-2009, 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=MK2750;237558]Don't want to set the bar too high, but this looks like a good spot to show off a Duck Dog or two
This is one of my all time favorite gundog pics.
This was one my father's dogs, a Manitoba and Stateside champion that could and did do it all day long on the Manitoba waters right into freez up!!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned

Good post Big Moose, but you are a bit off on the color comment. "Red" is a variation of the yellow gene. Yellow Labs can vary from almost white to red. It would be difficult to breed a complete litter of "Red" labs, as the yellows in any litter will have some variation of color, but a litter with a greater probability of red pups is possible. 40 years ago I heard of them as Cinnamon color.

The "silver" color is a chocolate lab that has somehow had the color dilution gene introduced to it. Silver is the dilute of chocolate. All Weimeraners have the dilute gene so you never see a chocolate brown Weim. The dilute of Black is "Blue". Many breeds are known for Blue coloring, especially those with the Merle patterning. Historically no Labs have ever shown the dilute gene until recently with the "Silver" marketing campaign. The question is, did the dilute gene that they have always exist undiscovered in the breed, did a random mutation occur that was exploited when discovered, or was the gene purposely introduced by someone through a breeding to another breed. With the numbers of these dogs increasing through the breeding for profit and the desire for something different I have also seen ads for Blue Labs, as the dilute gene is bred into Black dogs.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Good post Big Moose, but you are a bit off on the color comment. "Red" is a variation of the yellow gene. Yellow Labs can vary from almost white to red. It would be difficult to breed a complete litter of "Red" labs, as the yellows in any litter will have some variation of color, but a litter with a greater probability of red pups is possible. 40 years ago I heard of them as Cinnamon color.

The "silver" color is a chocolate lab that has somehow had the color dilution gene introduced to it. Silver is the dilute of chocolate. All Weimeraners have the dilute gene so you never see a chocolate brown Weim. The dilute of Black is "Blue". Many breeds are known for Blue coloring, especially those with the Merle patterning. Historically no Labs have ever shown the dilute gene until recently with the "Silver" marketing campaign. The question is, did the dilute gene that they have always exist undiscovered in the breed, did a random mutation occur that was exploited when discovered, or was the gene purposely introduced by someone through a breeding to another breed. With the numbers of these dogs increasing through the breeding for profit and the desire for something different I have also seen ads for Blue Labs, as the dilute gene is bred into Black dogs.

Absolutely correct Vin, my experience with "reds" is limited to a few paragraphs on various websites. I do however own a "silver". I got her early on in my introduction to the breed. I was impressed with the color from the start. I however found out the rest and the controversy surrounding the silvers after I had purchased her.

I could suggest several breeders to the original poster but it would most likey just get deleted.

Again CKC is the best route to take to get lots of information on breeders.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:22 AM

My buddy's choclate bleaches out to very light in the summer - very cool looking!
Cat
Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 AM

We are looking for a family pet, not for hunting purposes as I do not chase birds. I dont know why your post would be deleted Big Moose if you posted some breeders, but you can PM me if you want. There are some great pictures of beautyful dogs. Thanks you all for the replys.

A.H
Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM

Looking for a pet makes a big difference. If you aren't going to be registering it or competing in field trials or hunting then either the Golden or the Lab are both wonderful animals. Very people and family oriented.

I would suggest you go to the pound (not a puppy mill) and rescue one from there. You would be able to get one a little older - say a few months old - and you can see the physical and temperment characterists you are looking for. If you don't see what you are looking for, try again a week later or have them notify you when one comes in. It would be a lot cheaper and you would be saving a life.

I saw an ad on the buy sell forum here for a cross between a Golden and a Lab. I have never actually seen one and I wonder what it would look like (long hair or short etc.)

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 AM

hi. contact Casey at abitt like home kennels. you should be able to google it. if not, contact me and i can dig up his number. he has some for sale right now. my dad has bought one, and he is a very reputable breeder. i beleive he lives just outside of stonyplain
patrick
Old 01-02-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
hi. contact Casey at abitt like home kennels. you should be able to google it. if not, contact me and i can dig up his number. he has some for sale right now. my dad has bought one, and he is a very reputable breeder. i beleive he lives just outside of stonyplain
patrick
Casey Butz is outside Stoney Plain...specializes more in field bred english springers and field bred english cockers...wasn't aware he was dabbling in labs now...interesting, but good to know.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 PM

Check out http://www.eagertrieve.com which is near Edmonton.

I know a few people that got pups from them and all are very pleased. My pups mother was born there and his father is one of their studs. They are all english (shown in conformation) types.

The Alberta Labrador Retriever club lists CKC breeders by colour here:
http://lrca.homestead.com/litters.html

and we have had a great experience with our breeder: http://www.torngatlabradors.com/

Good luck in your search!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful information and help. I will post a picture of our new friend when we find him.

A.H
Old 01-07-2009, 02:18 AM

Smile

If your still looking try the Zieglers (Gerald and Margret) in Calgary.
We got a "Yellow Lab" 5 years ago from them. Absolutely the best dog I've ever owned. Smartest, best disposition, best all round dog, PERIOD.

You can contact them at.
ziegler2@telus.net

If they don't have any pups they will surely know where you can get a quality dog.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM

Default English style labs

Hello A.H.

I just want to encourage you when looking for your English style lab. And also recommend Shady Lane Labradors which has mostly English style labs. She is just outside Tofield Alberta. I have some of her stock and we work within a small circle of breeders together. I am maybe a little far for you (Prince Albert, SK) so I am giving you her name......just google Shady Lane Labradors and you should find it. I actually do her website for her.

There are definitely less breeders of the English style in the Prairie provinces.....probably something to do with our rural based population.

Everyone has their preferences with the labs and I am probably no different. I read through some of these posts and I am not going to dispute any however I will say one thing......purebred labs are purebred labs no matter the color or style. Those who oppose the Silver like to say the silver is not purebred (couldn't be farther from the truth).....it has been proven DNA wise that they are purebred and most vets agree that they probably resulted as a mutation in the gene pool. Which is probably why they are found more strongly in the Trialing lab style. And they have been around for decades. Some breeders have just cashed in on it and not always in the the right directions so you do have to watch your bloodlines.....some carry heavy interbreeding although it is starting to get better.

No, Silver is not the color stated on the registration paper but neither is Fox Red for the the Fox Red labs. And silver labs are considered a fault in the confirmation show ring. That doesn't make them any less of a dog. But they make the same great pet/hunter/all around lab as all others.

But as I said earlier, everyone has their own opinions on what they like in their labs and all for their own reasons. Even my own daughter and I differ in opinions. She likes the trialing style....I like the English. Both kinds have their importance and if you want the English style.......all the best to you. The truth is, you must do the homework for your family and find what one makes the best pet for your family!

I personally have Fox Reds and chocolates on board right now and ready to go to new homes. This year is our first year of Fox Red's and yellows. I must say, they are every bit as beautiful as a Black, a light or dark yellow, a Chocolate, a silver or a charcoal (silver in the black). To me a lab is a lab and I can spot them a mile away.......they draw my attention everytime! I can honestly say, color means nothing when it comes to the personality of a dog and you can't beat the personality of a lab.

I wish you the best in your search for your new family member. I know you will know when you find that special little addition.

S.A.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
They also come in red!

Cat
They come in silver too
Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.H. View Post

"My wife and I are interested in getting a Golden (Yellow) Lab . . . "
Actually A.H., in spite of what has been said, your use of the term "Golden Lab" does specify a specific type of dog. I know, because I have one!

Golden Labs are not an official breed (yet), but they do exist and are becoming popular as both pets and hunting dogs. Golden Labs are an intentional cross-breed between Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers. They were originally bred for 'rescue' and 'service' work, but they have now become main-stream with the public and are also becoming popular with some hunters (including myself).

In addition to Yellow Labs, you may want to consider looking at Golden Labs as well ...

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/goldenlabrador.htm

Keep one eye on the horizon,

TF