Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-24-2015, 05:43 AM

Default Swamp donkey outdoors

Did a search regarding Swamp Donkey Outdoors just out of SG and found that they seem to be well thought of, but the threads were older. I talked to Martin yesterday and he seemed like a nice guy and I intend to go visit him for some things I want.

Seems to deal with bows mostly but other goods as well. Wondering what you guys think of the place. Prices sound pretty good. Anyone have any issues or good experiences?

I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks, score
Old 05-24-2015, 06:43 AM

have personally had a number of dealings with Martin ( swampdonkey ) he is just as he seems, has the same stuff as any sports shop but does not have any overhead, he works out of his garage at home, if you want to save 15 - 20% on most of the stuff we shoot this is the place, he may not be the most organized guy in the world when it come to his inventory and you may have to step over a couple boxes on the floor but what the hell I save money so that's the bottom line
Old 05-24-2015, 06:59 AM

I bought from him one time.
Nice fellow. Selection is not necessarily wide, but prices are certainly decent.
He seems to be able to source stuff that are often in limited supply or just unobtanium elsewhere.
I wish he lived closer to me!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 AM

Bought a shotgun off him one time. He gave me a great deal and seemed to be a really decent guy. If he's got what you want, support the little guy. If it's a bow he will set it up for you right there and let you shoot it at his range (yard).
Old 05-24-2015, 08:35 AM

For alot of things.... hands down he has the best prices
Old 05-24-2015, 09:19 AM

Good to hear. I'll be paying Martin a visit soon. And yep, it always feels good to support the small local guys. I'll post an update afterwards.
I called him and left a message and he quickly got back to me last night.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:48 AM

I've only had one deal with him myself, but my brother deals there often. Nothing but good to deal with. A real top notch guy.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:04 AM

I've dealt with him quite a few times, and would highly recommend him. He has great prices, and is good to deal with. I've spent a few dollars in his store!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-24-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
Did a search regarding Swamp Donkey Outdoors just out of SG
Spruce Grove??

If so I'll have to check him out.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Spruce Grove??

If so I'll have to check him out.
Yes Spruce Grove. North of....
Old 05-24-2015, 12:01 PM

Thx Score

I was looking for gun powder and was sure he had some posted some time ago.

BTW, I like your sig line Score
Old 05-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Default swampy martin

I have been there a few times. 8km north of spruce. if he didn't have something, he looked around for me. lately, his reactive targets and 22 ammo prices and availability have been impressive. I am happy to drop off a few bucks at his garage(store).
Old 05-24-2015, 03:25 PM

He has been supplying Narrow Lake Youth camp with ammo at cost for a lot of years. This is a lot of ammo, time, storage and he does not make a dime from it and he doesn't get a lot of recognition. He does it to support youth in hunting and conservation education.
I deal there when ever I can.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:52 PM

I pretty much buy all my ammo and whatever else I can from him. I also direct alot of people his way, as many as I can. Martin is #1, best prices going.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:12 PM

Default Swamp donkey

I just had a dealing with him a couple weeks ago , nice honest gentleman , he sure loves big whitetail , I'm glad I went to see his small shop
Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 PM

Default great deals

scorred some great powder deals in the past, hope to have them in future
Old 05-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Banned

Did this guy run out of the buffalo meat store on the south side at one time?

Some of his camo is the best match I have seen for the aspen parkland areas of Alberta.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:21 AM

I've dealt withhim a few times and what has already been said I have found to be true. Prices are cheap and I've found that Martin is a great guy. I wouldn't hesitate to recommendhim to anyone.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-25-2015, 05:31 PM

Anyone get ammo shipped from him to or around Calgary?
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 PM

Was out to his place today and he has 22 ammo if anyone is looking. Was my first time there and it won't be the last.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 PM

Default Swamp donkey

i deal with him on a regular basis I won't deal anywhere else now Martin goes above and beyond if he doesn't have it he can get it more then I can say for the big box stores
Old 05-30-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
He has been supplying Narrow Lake Youth camp with ammo at cost for a lot of years. This is a lot of ammo, time, storage and he does not make a dime from it and he doesn't get a lot of recognition. He does it to support youth in hunting and conservation education.
I deal there when ever I can.
Never dealt with him to date but this has convinced me I will definitely be dealing with him in the future.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:12 PM

I know this is an old post but went to his place today for first time .
He is is Edmonton now on the south side . Maybe 4 blocks NE of the fishinghole
Old 12-04-2023, 07:01 PM

Default not sure

I find Swamp Donkey like every other store,some prices are good,some higher,Swamp Donkey has .30 cal 180gr Accubonds reg oruce $99.99, other places have them reg price $80.50, you just have to shop around for the best prices.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
I find Swamp Donkey like every other store,some prices are good,some higher,Swamp Donkey has .30 cal 180gr Accubonds reg oruce $99.99, other places have them reg price $80.50, you just have to shop around for the best prices.
The big issue now is that every new shipment costs the retailer more, so they have to charge more. And Nosler prices have gone totally stupid.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:48 PM

Default and

25 Report Post

Quote:
The big issue now is that every new shipment costs the retailer more, so they have to charge more. And Nosler prices have gone totally stupid.
Doeesnt change the fact some stores are cheaper like in every situation,some set there %'s a bit higher,Swamp Donkey does have sales,as his buisness prob can not sit on merch like bigger outlets.But there are deff cheaper prices around
Old 12-04-2023, 09:20 PM

Quote:
25 Report Post

Quote:
Doeesnt change the fact some stores are cheaper like in every situation,some set there %'s a bit higher,Swamp Donkey does have sales,as his buisness prob can not sit on merch like bigger outlets.But there are deff cheaper prices around
It isn't always that a price is higher because a store demands a higher profit margin, they may have paid more for their stock.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:23 PM

What a bump!

I've been in SDO a few times this year. Good folks, some nice selection too. Nice place to check for primer availability these days although some prices are a bit high. I enjoy stopping in.

Cheers
Old 12-04-2023, 10:54 PM

Default wow

Not sure why this us so hard for you to comprehend Elkhunter,If the price of certain stock is higher at Swamp Donkey for what ever reason its higher,there is the same exact stock for almost 20% less,then its less,Im not saying you can not shop there or even shouldnt shop there,Myself I will continue to look for the cheapest prices p,and there are deffcheaper then Swamp Donkey
Old 12-04-2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Not sure why this us so hard for you to comprehend Elkhunter,If the price of certain stock is higher at Swamp Donkey for what ever reason its higher,there is the same exact stock for almost 20% less,then its less,Im not saying you can not shop there or even shouldnt shop there,Myself I will continue to look for the cheapest prices p,and there are deffcheaper then Swamp Donkey
This is true. In fact, some places have some things priced higher than others, while they have other things priced lower than most. It’s always been this way. Some places bought their stock for less, but price accordingly with the market and fairly so.

I am more “surprised” at the prices of bullets, among other things. Last year (or was it two years ago?), I wrote in one of the threads that I am thinking of picking up my shooting a bit and, hence, reloading because paying $3 (or whatever I said) per pull of the trigger is not only unattractive, but also prohibitive from shooting any good amount of rounds for an average individual (myself including). Nowadays, some bullets cost as much per unit (see the accubond lr, for example) and it is pretty insane. Even before these price hikes I thought shooting was pretty expensive, lol. The ammo I have now, most of which I bought a while back, is likely going to be conserved. And I am not sure what I am going to do with the bullets, primers, and powder I bought over the past year or so because it is definitely not going to be worth it getting the equipment and then sucking a finger looking at prices (likely higher) once my very limited supplies run out. This is the ****ty reality a guy like me is facing, really.