Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 PM

Default Deck stain recommendations ?

Its that time again to stain my deck, a lot of choices out there I've always used a solid latex stain from Home hardware usually lasts about 2 years. What products have you found to be long lasting?
Has anybody found a good painting gizmo for painting in-between the boards?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:58 PM

What wood do you have on your deck.?
I use Penofin. Brush on let sit for 20 minutes rub off. However the deck boards would have to be completely sanded to original. Penofin doesn't peel.
Go to you tube: Punch in staining your deck using Penofin. Costs $59.95 Gallon.
Available in Edmonton from Timbertown.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:40 PM

I have used Sikkens Cetol SRD for my last two deck applications. It never peels and you can restain over top of the old stain without sanding. It last three to four years. It is available at Benjamin Moore, quite expensive, but worth it in my opinion.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:20 AM

Sharkskin from Cloverdale Paint. Tough as nails !! PM me if you want more info.

Regards, Dodger.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Its that time again to stain my deck, a lot of choices out there I've always used a solid latex stain from Home hardware usually lasts about 2 years. What products have you found to be long lasting?
Has anybody found a good painting gizmo for painting in-between the boards?

I just use thompson water sealer and spray it on with a weed sprayer.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superuke View Post
I use Penofin. Brush on let sit for 20 minutes rub off. However the deck boards would have to be completely sanded to original. Penofin doesn't peel.
My deck is 5/4 pressure treated I usually go over it with a wire brush spray it with degreaser then pressure wash wait a couple days to let it dry before painting. The deck is 12 years old but still in good shape this will be the 5th time its been stained. Has anyone tried the Deckover stuff from Homedepot?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 AM

I have 2x6 pressure treated and only use the green wood preservative. previous deck was grey stain never paint or stain a deck all you get is problems..
Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 AM

After over 30 years of trying all the "best" stuff(peeling, refinishing, wasting money) my final conclusion agrees with Xbolt: I roll on Thompson's water seal on the new boards. Done!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Deckover stuff from Homedepot?
We have - we figured we didn't have much to lose as the next stage of our deck would be new deck boards.

It's actually not bad, fills in the gaps, keeps it from slivering etc. Proper prep is a must, and it goes on fairly easily. The deck had been previously painted, and the old paint was flaking quite badly.

The only issue we're having is that, after two summers, it is popping off in spots. Our deck chairs have fairly tiny feet, so I think that it's them that are doing a number on the coating. I'm thinking that we may be able to touch those spots up.

Overall, we're pretty happy with it. I think it'll last another couple of summers yet.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
We have - we figured we didn't have much to lose as the next stage of our deck would be new deck boards.
That's about where I am now, the next deck will be sprayed on Thompson's water seal however that ship has sailed for this deck. the deckover sounds good for filling in old boards just didn't know anybody that's tried it, the reviews are 3.5 out of 5 with 350 reviews.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:29 AM

Absolutely. One of the other things I like about it is that it's textured, which helps mitigate wipeouts.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 AM

I used the Olympic rescue-it stuff 2 summers ago, was peeling by the fall, stripped it down in the spring of the following year and did a proper stain. Found out that there is actually a class action lawsuit in the States against Olympic for this crap, wish I would have seen it before I pulled the trigger on 3 cans of it. On my second year of just straight deck stain from Behr and its holding up great even with dogs and kids in and out all day and our south exposure in the back.

Colin
Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Deckover stuff from Homedepot?
I have refinished several decks with the Deckover from Home Depot and after several years there have been no issues. I rented the large floor sander from Home Depot to prep the deck prior to applying it, followed by pressure washing it. Proper prep is a must otherwise the stain won't stick and it will just lay there waiting to come off.

After prepping the deck, I painted between the boards and corners, etc where the roller wouldn't go with the Deckover. It doesn't run like the cheap stuff so I think that is the best way. If you drip any on the deck from lifting the roller out of the tray, smooth it out right away or the excess will harden and will show through.

It seems like great stuff and I'd recommend using it.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superuke View Post

Absolutely. Penofin Rosewood Oil. And you can add regular wood stains to make your own color. This stuff is awesome for looks, longevity and quality of protection.

Do guys realize that Thompson's water seal washes off with water and decomposes with exposure to UV light? Its not worth the time, money or loss of longevity for the wood.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-26-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I rented the large floor sander from Home Depot to prep the deck prior to applying it, followed by pressure washing it. Proper prep is a must otherwise the stain won't stick and it will just lay there waiting to come off.

Good idea! sounds a lot better than a wire brush, since my decks been stained since the get go I'll give the Deckover a go

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter1 View Post
I have used Sikkens Cetol SRD for my last two deck applications. It never peels and you can restain over top of the old stain without sanding. It last three to four years. It is available at Benjamin Moore, quite expensive, but worth it in my opinion.
I agree. This stuff is excellent and will go over existing without a ton of prep. We also used it to paint our siding 3 years ago (we used the solid version, Rubbol) and still looks new. Our friends painted their whole house with Cetol Rubbol 7 years ago. The cost of the stain was nearly double but the paint job will likely last them 10+ years.

And yes, Olympic absolutely sucks... I wish I never walked into Totem that fatefull day and found it on sale...
Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM

^^ I used the Sickens stuff as well and am happy with it, but yes it's expensive, but I'd rather pay more than have to do it trice
Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 PM

Has anyone tried 'Australian Timber Oil' by Cabot? I'm looking at it on Lowes shelf right now and it it lists 'tung, linseed and alkyd' as part of the formula.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Sharkskin from Cloverdale Paint. Tough as nails !! PM me if you want more info.

Regards, Dodger.
Good stuff
Old 08-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter1 View Post
Mr. Boss here at the ranch hired us to refinish his deck in 2012 and we used this product. As per the dealer's advice, we recoated with this in 2013, although it still looked OK with no peeling. The only prep we did was pressure wash the deck and let it dry. Last winter we noticed some bare spots, and as time has gone on, a lot of bare spots. Can't actually see any flakes or peeling, but if you scrape it with your nail, it comes off! Earlier this year we suggested to Mr. Boss that we would be happy to redo it, with perhaps a different product. We have never seen anything like this, really. He never did reply so we are thinking he is blaming us for this, and just doesn't want to hire us to do any more work. (A bunch of paddock rails are falling off due to rot, but when we offered to fix them he said UFA won't have enough to sell him till next year! So I guess he no longer likes our work...)

I have googled this Sikkens product and see that it does sometimes does not wear well... I still feel bad that his deck looks awful so I thought if I could give him a recommendation for a different product, he could do what he wanted with the info. Hire someone else for all we care. Any ideas as to what happened in this case?

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 08-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Banned

Eco wood treatment....

One treatment, never fades. Gets darker with sun and water... Epic stuff.

Only one color though. Almost a barn wood grey
Old 08-16-2015, 02:27 PM

http://www.ecowoodtreatment.com/

Looks like neat stuff! Other colors are listed, though... Makes me wish our deck at our rental property was not covered in a solid stain, haha...

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 08-16-2015, 05:49 PM

Sikkens solid stain is a very good product. Takes its time drying though so keep an eye on the forecast.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:17 PM

SuperDeck especially if its treated wood I choose a redwood color its semi transparent that was applied over treated green colored cedar It was amazing how the green color disappeared and a beautiful redwood color remained with wood grain still showing. Its as thin as water and goes on real easy Its lasted 7 years and still looks great
Old 08-16-2015, 10:17 PM

bah for the cost of 5/4 treated deck boards I would just take the boards to the dump and put new boards down every 5 years.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:36 PM
Banned

Back in newfie, lots of people used marine paint - or boat paint. Stood up very well to the salt air.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I just use thompson water sealer and spray it on with a weed sprayer.
Don't ever use this product. It was designed for concrete and brick. However they wanted to join the market so they just added wood and has zero uv protection. It will peel within a year for sure. Super deck is the best product on the market right now. The problem with sikkens is that it's over priced and once you use it you can ever recoat with another product as it will reject the new product.