Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Banned

Default Who Is Tagging Sturgeon on the NSR?

Just got back from a short evening downstream from Goldbar. A fellow a couple hundred yards downstream from me in the "bay" landed a sturgeon from shore. A fellow fishing from an anchored boat asked the lucky guy if he could tag it if it wasn't tagged already. Turns out the dino wasn't tagged so the fellow brought his boat to shore and tagged it. Haven't seen that before and I was wondering if anyone knows who is tagging sturgeon on the NSR?
Also saw what looked like a fish cop cruising the river in a seadoo.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:26 PM

Not sure who it is but i seen him down there before
Old 06-26-2015, 11:29 PM

Good !!!! It's about damn time the fish and feathers were around there. I've seen some pretty pathetic fish handling and guys using 2 or more rods. If the donkeys and you know who you are keep this up there will be a bait ban or no more sturgeon fishing altogether. By the way I've made numerous calls and have pictures to boot. I wish more people would grow a set and report these idiots !!!! As for broad casting locations , IMO that isn't helping either !!! People please use the correct gear !!!! No p-rigs and light gear. My rant is over......for now.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Just got back from a short evening downstream from Goldbar. A fellow a couple hundred yards downstream from me in the "bay" landed a sturgeon from shore. A fellow fishing from an anchored boat asked the lucky guy if he could tag it if it wasn't tagged already. Turns out the dino wasn't tagged so the fellow brought his boat to shore and tagged it. Haven't seen that before and I was wondering if anyone knows who is tagging sturgeon on the NSR?
Also saw what looked like a fish cop cruising the river in a seadoo.
There used to be about 6-10 guys on the tagging crew. Daryll Waters from ESRD used to run it, maybe still does? I fished with one of the guys for a few years, about 10 years ago.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adwittoutdoors View Post
Good !!!! It's about damn time the fish and feathers were around there. I've seen some pretty pathetic fish handling and guys using 2 or more rods. If the donkeys and you know who you are keep this up there will be a bait ban or no more sturgeon fishing altogether. By the way I've made numerous calls and have pictures to boot. I wish more people would grow a set and report these idiots !!!! As for broad casting locations , IMO that isn't helping either !!! People please use the correct gear !!!! No p-rigs and light gear. My rant is over......for now.
Not sure why your so upset. As for the fellow who caught the dino, he caught it on a pic rig. Landed the sturgeon and released it after it was tagged.
As for the CO, he could have been in Ft. Sask 60 min. before and devon 90 min later, depending on how many stops he makes. They don't sit in one location all day. I happened to see him by Goldbar.
You must really get upset if you see someone using a fly rod. I prefer heavier gear, but lots of anglers use lighter gear, and enjoy themselfs while using it. I see nothing wrong with that. Lots of other fish to catch in the NSR besides sturgeon.

Last edited by waterninja; 06-27-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Unless they changed things recently those licensed to tag sturgeon can use two rods. I work with a guy who, in the past has tagged them. Not sure if he is doing that this year or not.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:09 AM

Thumbs down

The guy that fishes that spot uses up to 4 rods and is not a tagger, he does not care what others think of him using extra rods and also does not handle the sturgeon with care, holding by gills, keeping out of water for extended periods etc.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:12 AM

Also if you are fishing a spot you know holds sturg you should not be using light gear/prigs i have seen way to many people break there line or prig fighting them for long periods because of light gear which is not needed.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:32 AM

X10 ^^^^^^^^ Mitch !!! I say again if you're going for sturgeon or are in a sturgeon hole you should be using the right gear !!!! I thought that I'd not have to explain that simple concept !!! Also if your a tagger you need a flag up to identify yourself. Try getting edjumakated will you !! So I'll ask this question ; do you think it is a good idea to use light gear and play out a 50 year old fish that is endangered !?!?!?!? If you do you have zero respect as an angler and common sense. Jmho.
By the way I went to Muir yesterday and nailed a bunch of non endangered bows on a FLY ROD. Good times were had. I can't stand people who say I'm going for Dino's and I like to fight them for a half hour or more with my light gear. Fricking idiots they are.
P.S - good morning Waterninja lol

Last edited by Adwittoutdoors; 06-27-2015 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-27-2015, 06:45 AM

Just curious Waterninja but aren't you the one who thought it was a good idea to keep a pike as a pet last summer down by the out flow ? Hmmm ........ Need I say more ??!?!?!??!

Last edited by Adwittoutdoors; 06-27-2015 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Not done
Old 06-27-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
X10 ^^^^^^^^ Mitch !!! I say again if you're going for sturgeon or are in a sturgeon hole you should be using the right gear !!!! I thought that I'd not have to explain that simple concept !!! Also if your a tagger you need a flag up to identify yourself. Try getting edjumakated will you !! So I'll ask this question ; do you think it is a good idea to use light gear and play out a 50 year old fish that is endangered !?!?!?!? If you do you have zero respect as an angler and common sense. Jmho.
By the way I went to Muir yesterday and nailed a bunch of non endangered bows on a FLY ROD. Good times were had. I can't stand people who say I'm going for Dino's and I like to fight them for a half hour or more with my light gear. Fricking idiots they are.
P.S - good morning Waterninja lol
I don't fish sturgeon so how would I know if it was a so called sturgeon hole?
Old 06-27-2015, 07:49 AM

Not sure how it works in Alberta but when I've fished em on the B.C Fraser, the majority of guides that fish em carry an electric tag scanner for the 1's that have been tagged & a bag of tags for the 1's that haven't. It's on the onus of the tagger to send the info in. Don't think it's that big of a deal there to be tagging those fish.....
Old 06-27-2015, 08:05 AM

Fair enough crownb but what I'm saying is I see , ask and listen to people telling me they're targeting sturgeon ( with p-rigs and light tackle ) that is what irks me. I believe that was already covered in the above comments. I may be wrong. Also if people or so called fishermen actually took the time to read the regs you'd see it is CLEARLY IN THE REGS !!!!!! Clear as mud eh !!!! Sheesh man alive. Then we all wonder and cry when our resources are gone !!!!!! Why do I get the feeling that people on this site claim to be outdoorsmen and stewards of the land and of the sport but really don't follow logic and the laws ? Do as I say not as I do mentality. By the way crownb , I'm fairly certain you knew what I was saying if not then ....... well have a nice day.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
I don't fish sturgeon so how would I know if it was a so called sturgeon hole?
If you find one swimming on its back than you will see the hole indicating you are at the right spot...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-27-2015, 08:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Fair enough crownb but what I'm saying is I see , ask and listen to people telling me they're targeting sturgeon ( with p-rigs and light tackle ) that is what irks me. I believe that was already covered in the above comments. I may be wrong. Also if people or so called fishermen actually took the time to read the regs you'd see it is CLEARLY IN THE REGS !!!!!! Clear as mud eh !!!! Sheesh man alive. Then we all wonder and cry when our resources are gone !!!!!! Why do I get the feeling that people on this site claim to be outdoorsmen and stewards of the land and of the sport but really don't follow logic and the laws ? Do as I say not as I do mentality. By the way crownb , I'm fairly certain you knew what I was saying if not then ....... well have a nice day.
I believe you should always use the right gear for the fish you intend to catch but hey you have no control what wants to hit your line...and like you mentioned don't play stupid if you get caught breaking the law and you get a ticket etc ohh I forgot some are not playing stupid they just are just simpletons genetically reproducing future spawn...hard to read the regs when you can't read, more pictures please!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
The guy that fishes that spot uses up to 4 rods and is not a tagger, he does not care what others think of him using extra rods and also does not handle the sturgeon with care, holding by gills, keeping out of water for extended periods etc.
Not sure about the fellow who actually caught the fish, but the fellow who tagged it got to shore smartly, and was standing in thigh high water so dino could stay in the water while he tagged it. Looked like he did everything he could to reduce any stress for the sturgeon.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I do know what your saying but I will not feel bad fishing the Nsr with my normal rig, are you saying that you always check the water body that you are on and always fish with the gear for the largest species in there. I would look pretty silly with a sturgeon pole fishing for yellow perch!!! all of these threads boil down to common sense and unfortunately it gone the way of the dodo bird.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:34 AM

Oh yeah the guys tagging know what they are doing i was just refering to the person adwittoutdoors was talking about.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 AM

So crownb I'll ask you then if you were TARGETTING STURGEON what rig would you use then ? I guess I'll keep it simple for you. Sorry about that. your response is .........
Old 06-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Good morning Adwitt. Could you please edjumicate us mere mortals where in the regs the special rules/guidelines are for proper/legal sturgeon setups? Did a quick look and dont see it on the table of contents on page 9. Page's 60 & 64 have a little blurb about it being illegal to keep a sturgeon. Guess I don't know how to read, or just missed it.
I believe in using the proper gear for whatever fish I'm targeting, and even use much heavier gear then I need on the NSR for the species I'm after just to be safe.
Please don't tell me that an angler should be fined because a large pike came by and broke of the 6lbs test he was using to target perch.
If I do happen to hook on to a sturgeon while fishing with a pic rig, you can bet I'll do my best to land it, but I'll give it a good scolding for hitting the rig. Pretty sure that wherever you fish on the NSR you might catch any of the species that live in it.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
So crownb I'll ask you then if you were TARGETTING STURGEON what rig would you use then ? I guess I'll keep it simple for you. Sorry about that. your response is .........
I prefer to use an ultra light ice rod for perch with 2lb mono trilene and a little fly with a chunk of worm on it, that's my favorite sturgeon setup lol
Old 06-27-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
Oh yeah the guys tagging know what they are doing i was just refering to the person adwittoutdoors was talking about.
I have been tagging sturgeon, I know exactly who you guys are talking about that tagged this fish, He is a good guy, a long term tagger and knows what he is doing, Ive helped so many guys with sturgeon rigs, gear, how to's and what not, Mitch being one of them, Mitch took what I showed him and has applied it to his fishing and is Slaying sturgeon non stop now, and doing it safely for the fish ! Guys who wanna know how, need to be shown, there are guys out there who would rather be silent, I however know, if your in a sturgeon hole, your gonna hook one, we might as well show ya what to do, and what gear to use to reduce stress !

Cheers Mitch !congrats on the amazing season so far !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-27-2015, 09:24 AM

And ive also seen this guy everyone is chatting about handling them bad, He drives a princecraft boat, his trailer is a princecraft ... His truck is a dark colored truck with a white GLOOMIS fish sticker on the back window... should I post pics of him on here ? I have about 5 pics of him handling sturgeon terribly and also using 4 rods at once !

Old 06-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Look a little harder. My point which seems to be lost is IF and I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating my self is that IF you are are targeting Dino's then use the right gear is all. You make it sound as if it is ok to target sturgeon with p-rigs and light tackle. Some newbies come along and read your post and thinks it's ok to use crap gear for sturgeon , I think that's bad education on your part. I'm done explaining the same thing over and over. Common sense man !!! I've seen it happen daily on the river and the crap arse attitude is 'who cares it's just a fish'. That is why I get a little heated about this topic. They're an endangered species. Glad to hear you use the right gear WHEN TARGETING STURGEON.Now if we can get the rest of the retards on board things would be looking up for the sturgeon population. Have a nice day.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Look a little harder. My point which seems to be lost is IF and I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating my self is that IF you are are targeting Dino's then use the right gear is all. You make it sound as if it is ok to target sturgeon with p-rigs and light tackle. Some newbies come along and read your post and thinks it's ok to use crap gear for sturgeon , I think that's bad education on your part. I'm done explaining the same thing over and over. Common sense man !!! I've seen it happen daily on the river and the crap arse attitude is 'who cares it's just a fish'. That is why I get a little heated about this topic. They're an endangered species. Glad to hear you use the right gear WHEN TARGETING STURGEON.Now if we can get the rest of the retards on board things would be looking up for the sturgeon population. Have a nice day.
If anyone ever wanted to know, Feel free to PM me and I will give as much education as I can to protect these fish, I don't tell people where to go, But I certainly will always help with gear and how to questions, Yes it is a species at risk, and yes we need to protect them, But guys using PRIGS for anything in the river , not just sturgeon are doing damage, I will be the first to admit it, I have used prigs, I even made my own because I thought they out fished Sturgeon rigs.... Boy was I sadly mistaken, And also regret ever using a prig !

Old 06-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
And ive also seen this guy everyone is chatting about handling them bad, He drives a princecraft boat, his trailer is a princecraft ... His truck is a dark colored truck with a white GLOOMIS fish sticker on the back window... should I post pics of him on here ? I have about 5 pics of him handling sturgeon terribly and also using 4 rods at once !
Send them to F&W and collect your reward.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 AM

By the way Canadianbadass Mitch has a huge golden horse shoe in his ..... Lol. I'm out with Mitch all the time and he is definitely slaying them and yes I'm jealous. Lmao.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Send them to F&W and collect your reward.
Im not in it for a reward, I have sent them a long time ago, and They know of the guy

Old 06-27-2015, 09:41 AM

The fish and feathers are very aware of this individual. I'm not sure why he hasn't been caught yet but all in good time.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Wow!!! Like the commercial says, somebody needs a snickers!!! Lol. I honestly couldn't tell you what to use, I have never targeted them and if I ever did I would pm somebody like canadianbadass, he sounds super helpful and is trying to help the fishery by in your words edjumacating the retards on this board. You however would just like to whine and moan but offer no helpful suggestions.