Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 PM

Default How to fish wire worms and Wetaskiwins

I've been looking through the archives, but haven't found this specific advice - what kind of action do you give to wire worms and Wetaskiwins, specifically when targeting whitefish?

For wire worms, I've been alternating between keeping them still and raising them slowly with a slight bobbing motion, hoping to imitate some sort of invertebrate - I haven't had any success with this method, though. Perhaps I should just be keeping them still, or using small, jerky hops?

I have even less of an idea of how to fish a Wetaskiwin. Should I jig it actively, letting it flutter on the way down, or should I be using smaller jerks and taps so it kind of dances in place?

So, I'd be interested in hearing how some of you more experienced folks give action to these lures. Thanks all!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Gone Hunting

For wire worms I like to keep them still about a foot off the bottom. If your site fishing them you can jig it until a white comes in then just sit it in front of their nose. For wetaskiwins treat them like buzzbombs. Jig up off bottom at a normal speed and immediately put the rod tip down and this will create a slow fluttering fall. good luck

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 PM

Default Wire Worms / Wetaskiwins

For wireworms, make sure the knot is VERY TIGHT, then bend the hook on the knot so the hook is Horizontal. Fish won't take if it is vertical. Jig very quick so the hook jumps up and down about 1 - 2 inches, then jig a shorter amount to dead still. Lowly lift and drop, then repeat. If a fish comes in, stop and see if they will grab it.

For the Wetaskiwin, make sure you "thump bottom", then lift up and flutter down, then hold still about 6 inches off bottom. give it a minute and repeat.

Drewski
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Fish won't take if it is vertica
I have to disagree, fish will take it if it is vertical as I have watched them do it.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .LOON. View Post
I have to disagree, fish will take it if it is vertical as I have watched them do it.
X 2 as long as the hook is off centred youll get them every time as long as your on the ball and get a good hook set and keep line tight.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
X 2 as long as the hook is off centred youll get them every time as long as your on the ball and get a good hook set and keep line tight.
well said
Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 PM

I'll give these techniques a try - thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
For wireworms, make sure the knot is VERY TIGHT, then bend the hook on the knot so the hook is Horizontal. Fish won't take if it is vertical. Jig very quick so the hook jumps up and down about 1 - 2 inches, then jig a shorter amount to dead still. Lowly lift and drop, then repeat. If a fish comes in, stop and see if they will grab it.

For the Wetaskiwin, make sure you "thump bottom", then lift up and flutter down, then hold still about 6 inches off bottom. give it a minute and repeat.

Drewski
I agree. Same thing worked well for me.

I do however alter the wire worm pattern by dropping it down and slowly raising it. When a whitefish comes by I usually stop all movement unless they are hyper aggressive.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Gone Fishing

I stop all movement when they are close as well....works for me
Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Default Vertical vs horizontal

I fished since a kid almost every weekend I could at Wabamun for whites. Sure, if they are crazy aggressive, a horizontal wire worm could work. My best results are from vertical, as it is the easiest for the whitefish to grab the hook, given that they have a small mouth.

However, lots of luck to the vertical wireworm crowd!

Drewski
Old 01-20-2009, 06:03 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
fish won't take it if it is vertical
I don't know where you got this from. What most people fail to realize is that wireworms immitate chironomids, so in a sense you are using chironomids, not wireworms. Chironomids are midge (mosquito) larvae. Trout and particularly lake whitefish love these.

Next time you are in a lake in the summer and you see them, you will notice they are SLOWLY moving towards the surface, but sitting more if not totally vertical.

Don't let anyone tell you wireworms have to be fished horizontally as this is false.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
I fished since a kid almost every weekend I could at Wabamun for whites. Sure, if they are crazy aggressive, a horizontal wire worm could work. My best results are from vertical, as it is the easiest for the whitefish to grab the hook, given that they have a small mouth.

However, lots of luck to the vertical wireworm crowd!

Drewski
You are contradicting yourself here.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 PM

Hey guys...........in a sense you're all right. Tundra hit it on the head when he said you don't HAVE TO have the wireworm horizontal to make it work. In my mind (& I think he and others will agree), you don't "have" to have it in any particular position. Certainly some positions seem to work better than others, and I suspect that is the truth (I have my favorite), but mostly the fish will tell you what they are willing (or most willing) to bite or ignore. Some days one technique will seem to work best and another day it may repeat itself, or some other technique will do better. Sort of just like some days one or more particular colors seem to do better than others. Probably as much or more than fish, fishermen (or ladies) are creatures of habit, and we tend to go with what has worked in the past and hence develop preferences (and I suspect biases...and I include myself here) with what we think is the best way to select, present, etc. a lure. I expect most all of us have fished enough to know that: (1)fish will make up their own minds what they want to bite on any particular day; (2) fish are very capable of making fools or liars out of any of us.....particularly as soon as we make a definite "this always works" type of statement; and (3) all the fish didn't necessarily read the same book......i.e. there are always exceptions to the rule/norm. I'm sure the list could be made a lot longer, but this is already getting pretty wordy. My suggestion is that you read all the information you can get, add it to your own experiences, try what you think is or may be the best and then vary your choices & presentations until you find something that works at that time. It may be different the next time. If it quits working, go through the process again. Always realize that it seems some days nothing you try will work well & you end up getting skunked. I'm sort of of the opinion that "the fish aren't biting" isn't really true.....as compaired to "they aren't biting what we're offering them, or the way we are offering it." That said however, there definitely are days when even that thought seems faulted. I suspect I've probably got as much experience and as good a selection of tackle as anyone (more than many, although I'm sure many have home made lures that I haven't even dreamed of), and am as willing to try every method I can think of, or have heard of, and still I get skunked on occassion. I'm quite convinced that we can never know everything, and also that some days the fish are just going to prove we're not so smart as we think. Thanks for reading this far and good luck to everyone. I hope to keep learning from you all!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:49 PM

Location: past the dead tree where the john bros faught in '52

sorry to butt in but(pun) what are wetakiwins?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 PM

Default hell I want to know more

about the positions and techniques-LOL-sorry couldn't resist.
I also fish the wire worm vertical not thinking to try hortizontal-will be trying just to see
T
Old 01-21-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .LOON. View Post

So my 100+ fish days ....I could have done better ?

No, I'll not say more.

HPF and Buck will say my tips made all AB lakes crash and it'll be all my fault !

Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 AM

Tundra...you are not the Buck I meant in the above post !

However...

Quote:
Don't let anyone tell you wireworms have to be fished horizontally as this is false.
With all due respect, your statement is false.

Another person mentioned the knot should be tight/snug, and move the wire worm to the horizontal . This is the correct way to fish them.
The reason (and very well tested) is so when light biters come in, they do not bump/feel the shank or line, and spit it out.
Gentle "takes" and they'll "push" the hook away from their mouth.

I always fished for them in 6-12' of water, and watched the hook like a Hawk.
I'd fish mid way to the weed bed, and all the movement I'd use was twitching the line with my forefinger.
I've caught thousands in this manner.
If I had to choose one color, it would be the plastic copper color (dull copper color).

But you guys do what you want....
Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 AM
TundraBuck

I use brass (copper) color as well. I have tried both as well, but have found it makes no difference. I never missed any more or less fishing them horizontally. I use ultra light rods and either sightfish or use my flasher and I always know when to get ready, so I rarely miss a fish.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:21 AM

Default Dyslexia! sorry!!

Yes, I prefer horizontal and have the most success with horizontal. Sorry for the mix up! The logic of light bites being turned off by VERTICAL wireworms is a good explanation. That, and for what bugs I find in the water ice fishing, they seem to swim horizontal, not vertical, which is what I expect is the source of the superior results, but whatever the explanation, it is results all the same.

Drewski
Old 03-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Default What kind of hook to use in a wireworm

should I just use a normal hook or is there a specific kind that should be used for a wireworm?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Swim it like a shrimp!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 AM

years ago while out on mcgregor a couple of older guys were slaying the whites... a fish was coming out of their shack door every couple of minutes. we could see the fish but couldnt get a bite. my buddy went over and asked what they were using... they had red wire worms just like we did... the difference was they were holding the line between their thumb and index finger and twisting the line back and forth .. just like rubbing their thumb and finger together with the line pinched inbetween. this was the difference that day because when we started doing this we started hooking up... give it a try
Old 03-10-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarki View Post
years ago while out on mcgregor a couple of older guys were slaying the whites... a fish was coming out of their shack door every couple of minutes. we could see the fish but couldnt get a bite. my buddy went over and asked what they were using... they had red wire worms just like we did... the difference was they were holding the line between their thumb and index finger and twisting the line back and forth .. just like rubbing their thumb and finger together with the line pinched inbetween. this was the difference that day because when we started doing this we started hooking up... give it a try
X2 This is the way I was shown and it works. Twisting while slowly lifting.