Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Banned

Default Trouble with an eskimo Ice auger.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these augers. With mine I have to constantly adjust what I'm assuming is the fuel mixture screw, sticking off the top of the carb. I usualy screw it in all the way and then back it out one turn to start. This usualy works for about 4- 6 holes at which point the auger starts to bog out and lose power. From this point on I have to keep backing the screw off which will usualy get me another 4- 6 holes utill the auger decides to quit working. Shoulda bought a jiffy.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 AM

are you sure its the auger and not the mixture? bad gas? to much oil? just a thought.....
Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 PM

change the main jet in your carb and when you have the carb out clean it out i have an eskimo ice auger and it starts 1 pull in 40 below i think it is beter than a jiffy. To set up your carb turn your air screw till it is seated then back it out 1 full turn leave it there it will run good if you have a clean carb if you rejet it go 1 size smaller but you should not have to just CLEAN YOUR CARB THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Ya it sounds like you have carb problems. I have a jiffy but basically had the exact same problems. I bought a carb kit from napa for 20 bucks, comes with new gaskets and screws. All you gotta do is take the carb off and remove both jets. Then spray the hell out of it with some carb cleaner. Let er sit for a day and then put the new screws in and put it back together. I would say your probably right with the one full turn but i find that with a rich mix you may need to go with 2 turns to get it running right. Also make sure that your idler screw is ajusted properly or you will have a hell of a time keeping it running or getting it started.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull9898 View Post
change the main jet in your carb and when you have the carb out clean it out i have an eskimo ice auger and it starts 1 pull in 40 below i think it is beter than a jiffy. To set up your carb turn your air screw till it is seated then back it out 1 full turn leave it there it will run good if you have a clean carb if you rejet it go 1 size smaller but you should not have to just CLEAN YOUR CARB THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM.
Id have to agree , here , Cleaner out , put new spark plug in new gas and oil and she should fire up 2nd or 3rd pull
Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM

I've use the same jiffy for 16 years, no problems. Use some good gas not the low octane, makes a big difference
Old 02-02-2009, 03:25 PM

By any chance is the gas tank vent not open?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM

If your Eskimo has the Tecumseh engine which it should, the carb is a diaphragm type. It may just have a piece of dirt in it or it may need a new diaphragm. The diaphragms tend to cause this symtom. They harden up over time and don't draw enough fuel into the carb. Either replace it or remove it and rub it with WD40 and try again. Follow the setup procedure as stated by the other guys here.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:50 PM

Default Eskimo Auger

I feel your pain i have a jiffy that runs great NOW it took me a whole season to get it running right. Lukily my buddys - buddy knows how to set the carbs up on them and he solved my problem. I think your problem is carb set-up your problem sounds similar to what mine was. Anyway that's my two cents hope it helps you out.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned

I took the carb appart and cleaned it today, accidently broke a gasket in the process. As much as I hated to I used some of that crummy gasket goop to get it to seal back up, still bogs though so tomorrow I'll try the gas and the spark plug. I asked crappy tire about the motor on my "Ice Storm Sub Zero" model and they said that it probably has a "Viper" motor in it and I have to go through eskimo to get a new gasket and any other parts I end up needing. Will have a look at the engine tomorrow to make sure though. thanks for the advice hopefully get it figured out soon.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 PM

these things have an in house motor and i have had issues with getting parts. i am milking mine out for the winter and getting a strikemaster for next year. these would be good augers for the once in a while fisherman, but after 2 seasons mine is falling apart. the only thing worth saving is the lake. good luck
Old 02-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Suspended User

One thing to check that is not mentioned is the small filter in your fuel tank, it may be starting to plug off.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM

Eskimo owner as well, love it 12yrs old and runs like a charm. Mine did the same thing when it was brand new, New premium gas, and the proper fuel mixture makes a world of diference. I believe mines 24to1. Mine was brand new when it acted up so i new it was'nt a dirty carb! Make sure proper fuel mixture!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Default Trouble with an eskimo Ice auger.

How old is your auger??
I bought one 3 years ago, shark Z51 8", and had nothing but problems running it finally it quit altogether.
I called the company and was told that the manual was printed wrong.
The oil mix should be 50:1 and not 20:1
I ended up having to take it in for a carb rebuild under warranty.
Runs fine now.