Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-02-2009, 10:03 AM

Default Glueing in inserts

When glueing inserts into the arrow do you do it so the blades of the broadhead align with the vanes ? Does it matter ?

In the old days with aluminums I could reheat and turn the insert a bit in order to tune the arrow.

With carbons it seems a one shot deal so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 AM

You can Screw in your broadheads first then glue in the insert. But it doesnt matter that much.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 AM

It doesn't matter.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM

I think it matters somewhat. why not have all your arrows match so that there is no reason for on arrow to fly a bit different then another. I always line up blades with the fletch, with a four blade just line up one or just be sure to have them all the same. I would even spin test every arrow with the broadhead on. you can do this as simply as crossing two nails in a 2x2 then cossing two more approx 12-14" down the 2x2. point the tip at something with a very small dot on it watch the tip closely as you spin the arrow slowly.
I use an arrow spinner now. As far as glue goes I used to just use that white glue sticks that a glue gun would take, then you can just use a hair dryer to heat the end with the insert to spin it with a broadhead in. This glue used to always hold fine. I've been using aluminums ( again) the last 4yrs. going to try the st axis arrows with HIT inserts I might try there supplied glue but I'll have to put the heads in to set the blades, that means I can only use that one broadhead in that one arrow.