Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-01-2015, 05:02 AM

Default Different Props..

Looking to get a little more top end out of my boat. What's a good prop for more top end speed? Its a 45 horse motor on a 16 foot noric. Thanks
Old 11-01-2015, 09:07 AM

Not sure what you need you can google it up or better yet check with Stu at Propmasters in Airdrie. Last thing you want is to get the wrong prop that sends your motor over rev
Old 11-01-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
Looking to get a little more top end out of my boat. What's a good prop for more top end speed? Its a 45 horse motor on a 16 foot noric. Thanks
Do you know what the current pitch is on your prop?

higher the number the more speed you will get, but you will sacrifice getting the boat planned up as early.

I would say if you went up a couple numbers you should be good.

I had a 90 horse merc that came with a 17 and I went up to a 19, it took around 5-10 seconds longer to get on plane and I gained around 10 mph.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:26 PM

First you need to know the rpm with current prop.
If in the rpm is high you can go up in pitch, if it is low then you might
gain speed with a lower pitch.
The prop pitch is like a gear in a transmission, if you use over drive
with a heavy load, you slow down.

Current rpm is the first thing to check.
And what make, model and year of motor.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:35 AM

Typically for every 2 degrees of pitch you will gain 2 maybe 3 mph at max.

Most engines (based on Revs and available props) will provide a pitch range of 10-12 degrees at most before you begin to over rev and under power your rig.

Different materials and designs and the number of blades etc... also can effect performance in both hole shot and top speed. Keep in mind you can't have both ...... and no prop out there, regardless of material, pitch, design is perfect for everything.

If you are minimum pitch and you go all the way up you MIGHT get 20 mph But that is an extreme case (my boat for example has a top speed range of 42 mph to 63-64 mph using a the minimum available pitch versus the maximum "speed" type prop). That is an extreme case. I could not have accomplished that with any other boat I've previously owned.

I went to the lowest pitch (giving me the lowest top speed for trolling ) but my 3000 lb boat can jump onto to plane in literally 2 to 3 seconds and pull skiers up real easy. The top speed, of course, suffered at 42 to 44 mph, but that's fast enough for most lakes.

If you are looking for speed - it's very likely you will end up with a smaller, stiff (stainless) , high pitch, 3 blade prop.