Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-17-2015, 04:54 PM

Default Rawkin' the Hawkin, snow track buck.

The Fourth morning of my hunt started out a bit of a gong show. Driving into the spot I had intended to hunt I noticed a nice buck track crossing the road. It was the best track I'd seen so far so I stopped to look at it. There was a dusting of snow in the bottom of the track which meant it had been made early the previous morning... too old. Still it was a nice track, maybe it would be possible to catch up, I hemmed and hawed it over, followed the track a little, and eventually decided to move on. The delay meant I got to my starting point a bit late... only to find the logging road I was intending to use to get into some ridges had been completely rototilled by the logging company!! I don't mind when they shred the road, keeps a lot of hunters out, but I now had about a mile of shredded road and slash to walk over! If I shot something back there the drag out was going to be brutal. Then I realised I had forgotten my hunting jacket, no biggie, I had a warm sweater in my pack, but not being able to tuck my bino's down the front of my jacket was going to be pretty annoying. I hadn't used them once the previous day so I decided to leave them behind. I buckled on my belt pack, shoved a micky bottle of water and a can of sardines in my pocket, and stuck a primer on my Hawken... about halfway in I realised I had left my touque at the truck. Efff it, I could put up with a whole day in freezing weather with only a baseball cap, hopefully!

I hadn't intended to use the Hawken, but two days prior I had slipped on some ice and fallen on my .270 hard. A couple test shots confirmed that it would not hit the broadside of the barn. My spare rifle was in the middle of a stock swap ( I know, great timing on my part) and now that we finally had snow I would have to go to the range and mess around with my gun. Halfway to the range I remembered the Hawken, it was sighted in for round balls which should be good enough if I kept hunting the thick bush I had been tramping around so far. The next day I had hunted an area with lots of thick, overgrown cut blocks. I had tracked a buck and jumped him in some thick willows twice, but never got a shot at him. Every track you follow teaches you something, that buck taught me that the deer in that area were holed up in the thick willows that had grown over the cutblocks, and in there they were darn near invincible. They had food, cover, and it was so thick I would almost need to poke them with the barrel of the Hawken to get a roundball in one. I buggered about in that stuff all day without any luck.

It was slow going over that tore up road. I finally reached the trail that lead up to my ridge, on my way through a cutblock I found a decent track, it wasn't huge but the side to side offset was pretty good, and its maker dragged his toes pretty regularly in the couple inches of snow... better yet it was smokin' fresh! The track lead up onto the ridge and down what had been a heavily used scrape line the year before, with this year's late snow though any rut sign was depressingly absent. I was moving pretty slow, almost still hunting, the track was super fresh and it wasn't big enough that I was overly concerned with whether I caught up with its owner or not. I was standing by a scraggly pine looking through the timber when I heard something to my left... and there he was! About 30 yards away, he somehow had no idea I was there so I had some time to work with. I counted ten points on his somewhat un-inspiring rack, cocked the Hawken and raised it to my shoulder. I had turned down bucks better than this early in the season, what was different now? With over 20 miles of hiking in the last few days, leaving the truck before daylight and returning after dark, stopping just long enough to much on a meager lunch... now I had earned him. Now I had a great hunt under my belt that deserved to be consummated. And as far as I'm concerned, any half decent timber buck tracked to within 30 yards and killed with a Hawken is a trophy. I settled the bead behind his shoulder and pulled the trigger.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-17-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:15 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Nice buck, nice rifle too

Got a load you used?

I use to push a hornady Great Plains 385 gr hollow point with 90 gr of pyrodex
Was deadly on all game.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-17-2015, 05:25 PM

Nice presentation of your hunt. Nothing wrong with your deer. All animals are trophies.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-17-2015, 05:31 PM

Nice looking gun....and deer. Thanks for a good story.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:36 PM

Nice Buck you harvested there,good for you! Loved your write up, very cool!
Congrats!
Years ago I had a 45 Hawkin ...loved shooting it!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-17-2015, 05:44 PM

Great story of your hard work!!
Congrats on a fine buck.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:44 PM

Super jealous here!
I was thinking of hunting with my plains rifle this year and now it looks like I may not even get out now!
Cat
Old 11-17-2015, 07:10 PM

Man, what a great read, and beautiful pics. I'd rather read stories like yours than some Yankee hunting rag. Great job. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:39 PM

Nice buck and story, great job walking in slowly on him.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 PM

Great story, nice buck, nice gun thanks for the pics
Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 PM

A hunt like that with happy ending brings more of a smile to my face than shooting a 170 whitey with modern rifle. Hats off to you sir!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:06 PM

Great story, nice buck!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:27 PM

Fantastic! That's how I like to hunt! Congrats and thanks for the great read.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:13 AM

Great story.. Nice buck
leroy
Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM

Default Primitive Hunting

I like it!!
Thats the way to do it!.

There should be a season in Alberta for this IMO
Old 11-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Great read, thanks for sharing. I'm still trying to catch up with my first big bush buck by following tracks. It's a lot harder than it sounds!
Old 11-18-2015, 11:13 AM

Great story even better pictures and congratulations on your buck.

BW
Old 11-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Nice buck, nice rifle too

Got a load you used?

I use to push a hornady Great Plains 385 gr hollow point with 90 gr of pyrodex
Was deadly on all game.
Load was pretty basic. 85 grains of 3F, .495 roundball, .15 patch. I put a chunk of wax paper between the patch and powder, put a piece of duct tape over the muzzle, and used nail polish to seal the primer. The load was used for 3 days, cap was obviously removed dayly, I stored and transported the gun in my truck tool box to avoid condensation. The load still went BANG! just fine. The only other thing worth noting is I have a Lyman peep sight on that rifle, excellent upgrade! It improved my 100 yard groups immensely.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:13 AM

Awsome...I have one like yours that has never killed...lots of targets but never hunted..;might have to give it a go
Old 11-19-2015, 11:52 AM

Awesome...nice job
Old 11-19-2015, 12:35 PM

Nice buck still waiting for mine lol
Old 11-19-2015, 01:32 PM

great buck and story. I'm honestly happier for you and your buck than any other trophy on the forum. well done.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:20 PM

Another great round-ball hunt! Congrats.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:37 PM

Impressed, very nice a great story.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Load was pretty basic. 85 grains of 3F, .495 roundball, .15 patch. I put a chunk of wax paper between the patch and powder, put a piece of duct tape over the muzzle, and used nail polish to seal the primer. The load was used for 3 days, cap was obviously removed dayly, I stored and transported the gun in my truck tool box to avoid condensation. The load still went BANG! just fine. The only other thing worth noting is I have a Lyman peep sight on that rifle, excellent upgrade! It improved my 100 yard groups immensely.
Nice, I also changed the nipple out to a hot shot, larger diameter hole for a better burn/spark to get to the powder.
Sure miss Saskatchewan hunting with the old Hawkin, mine was a lefty to boot.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-19-2015, 09:25 PM

Default Balls

Great story, there's something very satisfying about hunting with round balls and that makes your buck a trophy in my eyes.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:13 AM

Congrats on a nice buck....nice looking country....Marco
Old 11-22-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Nice, I also changed the nipple out to a hot shot, larger diameter hole for a better burn/spark to get to the powder.
Sure miss Saskatchewan hunting with the old Hawkin, mine was a lefty to boot.
I tried a hotshot, but for some reason it seemed to foul up a lot worse than the stock nipple. Durring extended range sessions I would need to clean it out regularly or risk misfires. Not sure if this is typical or not.