Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 01:16 PM

Default off-press priming vs on press priming

What do you use? why do you use it? what are the pros and cons of each method? if you use off-press priming which tool do you use? what would you recommend?
Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 PM

Always off press prime.
I like the added feel I get from the Lee Priming tool.
I also have a Hornady but cannot feel the primers with it
Cat
Old 02-24-2016, 01:20 PM

RCBS Universal priming tool, much better feel than my LEE priming tool, and no shellholders required.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:33 PM

And you guys use them just for "the feel"?
Old 02-24-2016, 01:36 PM

All I can say is try a handheld primer tool, you probably will not go back to using the press, unless you use a cartridge that does not fit in a handheld.
There is vast difference in convenience and feel.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:19 PM

With a progressive like the Dillon 550 on press. All singles stage I use a Lee or an RCBS hand held. The hand helds are easy to use, trays are easy to relaod and they prime very fast. Most single stage primer systems aren't real quick or easy to work with.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:44 PM

I have a Lee and RCBS hand prime. Lee is the one I use.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:52 PM

I use a hand held single load (no tray). I have a tray to flip them but then have to pick each one up and put it in the tool. Not sure what make I have, had it for 35 years. I only have one shell holder for it so can only use on 243-30-06 type cases. 45-70 I have to use the press. And like others I prefer the hand prime regardless of how slow. Strictly for the feel.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
I use a hand held single load (no tray). I have a tray to flip them but then have to pick each one up and put it in the tool. Not sure what make I have, had it for 35 years. I only have one shell holder for it so can only use on 243-30-06 type cases. 45-70 I have to use the press. And like others I prefer the hand prime regardless of how slow. Strictly for the feel.
The same shell holders that work on your press should work on the priming tool, unless the tool is more than 40 years old. This is true for Wilson, RCBS, Redding, Sinclair etc.

Lee hand priming tools use a different shell holder for the priming tool but you can get a full set in a box for about $12.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:05 PM

Default Press

I used to use the old Lee priming tools because I was on the road. I could take sized shells with me, trim and prime with Lee tools in my hotel room. When I got back home they were ready to powder. I wore a couple of those Lee tools out. Now, I just use the priming tool on my RCBS Rockchucker.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:07 PM

I'm a little different and prefer the press primer better. I have a handheld priming tool but could never get used to it. It may take a bit longer but in my opinion I have better feeling on the press.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:30 PM

Off press for rifle, on press for pistol.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 PM

Smile

I always off press prime .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 02-24-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The same shell holders that work on your press should work on the priming tool, unless the tool is more than 40 years old. This is true for Wilson, RCBS, Redding, Sinclair etc.

Lee hand priming tools use a different shell holder for the priming tool but you can get a full set in a box for about $12.
The one I have has threads on it. So it probably is over 40 years old I got it used along with my rock chucker press. Which I still use today. ....no idea why the guy ever wanted to get rid of it.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:01 PM

Most guys I know prefer the Lee handheld to the RCBS, though I have never used the RCBS, which I am sure is also good.

One fella said to me that using the press for priming is like using a post maul to pound finishing nails.

I agree.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Most guys I know prefer the Lee handheld to the RCBS, though I have never used the RCBS, which I am sure is also good.

One fella said to me that using the press for priming is like using a post maul to pound finishing nails.

I agree.
Most people have never used the RCBS Universal Priming Tool. It is a huge improvement over the earlier RCBS priming tools.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:29 PM

I use 550b press for pistol and 223.

Everything else is RCBS bench mounted priming tool. Auto prime I think it's called. Has good feel and is fast to use. Better than my hand held RCBS tool.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Most people have never used the RCBS Universal Priming Tool. It is a huge improvement over the earlier RCBS priming tools.
I have no doubt it is a huge improvement. I am very happy with the Lee. As you may recall, I am not a Lee fan, but a few guys recommended it, and for the price it didn't hurt to try. It is likely the best $25ish bucks I have ever spent.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 PM

Smile I'm on my second Lee hand held

It is quick, I don't have to sit at my reloading desk (which is now outside) and easy to load with primers.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:11 AM

I prefer my RCBS over my Lee handheld.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:15 AM

I use the RCBS universal one for large and the old RCBS shell holder type for small rifle because I lost the rod for large primer. Used a Lee hand type for 20 years until it wore out. The tube type primer seater that came with my 007 Pacific press I threw away after the first day I owned it.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the input, I'll be putting the RCBS Universal hand priming device on the "to buy list".
Old 02-25-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Thanks for the input, I'll be putting the RCBS Universal hand priming device on the "to buy list".
^good call. It's what I use. My RCBS "Partner" press has a primer feature, but too fiddly for my liking. I can put ALLOT of primers in the hand tool...and crank out primed cases pretty quick.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:11 PM

The primer seater on my RCBS press was lost 30 years ago, taken off by my father. I don't recall him ever using it, we have always used hand held RCBS or lee. Now days I have 2 lee's, one for large primer one for small.
On a Dillon 650 I use the primer seater, it's fast and I can still "feel" when a primer pocket is loose.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:11 PM

I'll add...like the Lyman case trimmer I finally broke down and bought a year or so back, the RCBS hand primer has proven it's worth over and over again. Great tool.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:42 PM

the lyman case trimmer is already on the list, I can hardly wait to get all the wonderful gadgets on that list in my hands, setup, and running.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
the lyman case trimmer is already on the list, I can hardly wait to get all the wonderful gadgets on that list in my hands, setup, and running.
It's worth the wait. Took me a couple of years to round it all up, and started with a gently used, RCBS "Partner" press. That sat in a box under my desk...bugging me..for about a year. Then a friend donated a LEE Powder Measure and beam scale. (the latter I never used) I realized that with a few odds and ends and a good digital scale and trickler, I could be off and running! Saved a couple hundred $, got the scale...some LEE .223 cheap case trimming/prepping stuff and indeed~I was well on my way. Added/upgraded since then;

RCBS Hand priming tool (new)
Lyman Powder measure (gently used)
Lyman Case trimmer (new)
Lyman tumbler (new)
Old 02-25-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
IMHO, a powered case prep center should be very far down on the 'list' of any new loader, especially one with a budget. There are LOTS of much more important and useful tools to purchase first.

IMHO, many new loaders spend far too much effort trimming, and would be far better asking themselves why?

Very few people have or make the ~$10 tool to actually measure their chamber to determine their needed or best trim length, or determine if trimming is even required?

IMHO, the need to trim is often a sign of over-use and improper adjustment of the FL die, and the money spent on powered trimmers would be far better spent on Collet neck sizers and collet crimp dies that reduce or eliminate the need for any trimming.

IMHO, power cleaning primer pockets too often leads to loose and leaking primers and shortened case life.

IMHO, a standard drill press works well for most of the functions of a case prep center, but is a much more versatile and useful tool.

I very seldom FL resize, or adjust my FL dies as the press and die manufactures instruct. IMHE, the result is increased accuracy and case life with reduced need for trimming or annealing.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:31 PM

the powered case prep center is not what I meant by "lyman case trimmer", I meant the lyman universal handcrank trimmer. I also understand that for many of my guns I will not have to trim very often, if at all. the power drill trimmers look good but one of my friends and myself have an interest an obscure cartridges that need cases formed from other cases making the trimmer a nescceity.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
the powered case prep center is not what I meant by "lyman case trimmer", I meant the lyman universal handcrank trimmer. I also understand that for many of my guns I will not have to trim very often, if at all. the power drill trimmers look good but one of my friends and myself have an interest an obscure cartridges that need cases formed from other cases making the trimmer a nescceity.
I have used the Lyman lathe type with the universal case holder which works OK, and does save the cost of individual case collets, and includes a full set of pilots which is also a handy added value.

When you select a lathe trimmer, I suggest you also consider availability of neck turning attachments, as you may need one depending on the particular case forming you do. No need to buy the attachment until needed.

I use Forster lathe trimmers, which require additional $$ collets and pilots $, and have several of the optional neck turning attachments which work very well. The Forster has optional longer bases which allow greater length range for the turning attachment.
The Lyman, RCBS and others, have cast bases which are very solid but cannot be lengthened.

Good Luck, YMMV.