Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2016, 12:29 PM

Default Down Imaging / Sonar

Hey all .I just bought a new boat and I am getting a Humminbird Helix 5 sonar/GPS /DI unit with it .I am not familiar with the newer technology, since my previous unit was an old Humminbird finder .I have been watching a bunch of YouTube videos on various brands and model but haven't found a decentt tutorial on how to properly understand and ready a DI chart .Does anyone have any advice or links to any sites that can help me learn how to effectively use my new unit? Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlounderPounder View Post
Hey all .I just bought a new boat and I am getting a Humminbird Helix 5 sonar/GPS /DI unit with it .I am not familiar with the newer technology, since my previous unit was an old Humminbird finder .I have been watching a bunch of YouTube videos on various brands and model but haven't found a decentt tutorial on how to properly understand and ready a DI chart .Does anyone have any advice or links to any sites that can help me learn how to effectively use my new unit? Thanks in advance for any info!

X2 I'm in the same boat. Advice would be nice. Thankyou
Old 03-15-2016, 01:06 PM

DI just shows a hair more detail to help you distinguish if what you are seeing is a tree, rock, fish etc.

Here is a simple video kind of showing how to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOiLaavTxKQ
Old 03-15-2016, 06:54 PM

I have a bird with DI. I can pick a Pike or Eye out of the grass when they are tight to the bottom.

Dodger.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:03 PM

I have that same model on the Crestliner we got last year. I have found that the DI only works when you fish in deep water. If you primarily fish in 8 or 10 feet of water the area that the sonar covers a very small area and not as helpful as I would thought. I do love the GPS on the units though it works great, our previous finder didn't have any GPS

TUNA
Old 03-15-2016, 10:28 PM

Thanks for your input guys .I'm excited to try it out .Just like anything I guess, the more you work with it, the better you understand it .I am sure the GPS will be put to good use for sure. Now if I only had a trolling motor with I-pilot link........
Old 03-16-2016, 08:58 PM

If u are dropping the coin on a new boat don't cheap out on the sonar. If you do the cost to upgrade in a year or two sucks
Old 03-16-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skykomish sunrise View Post
If u are dropping the coin on a new boat don't cheap out on the sonar. If you do the cost to upgrade in a year or two sucks
Good advice.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlounderPounder View Post
First Di does not have as large a learning curve as side imaging.

With DI you need to be moving unlike regular sonar because all your getting is a very thin slice which does not make a lot of sense until a number of slices are put together.

If you run both regular and DI side by side at the same time you will quickly learn to read both better.

With DI you will need to play with your contrast and sensitivity more than regular sonar. You want the bottom to have only a thin white line. I you blow out the bottom you will loose info.

Basically DI is quick and easy as long as your moving

Good luck to you this seaon
Old 03-17-2016, 09:25 AM

This might be helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs8dlOVHXJ8