Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-23-2016, 12:34 PM

Default My Mennonite Machinegun

I'll give the back story on this firearm, first.
A while back I placed an ad for a 308, or 30/06 carbine or a while back. The idea was to get a faster handling, keep in the truck rifle, in a cartridge that I have lots of reloading components for. The ad got answered by Partimehunter, who had a Remington 760 in 30/06 for a very good price. Since Partimehunter is local, a deal was made over a coffee, and some treats in my kitchen. I bought the rifle, and decided to get Gitrdun to lop a couple inches off the barrel. Gitrdun just happened to be coming through my locale while he was doing his job, so he stopped in on way south and picked the rifle at my place, had a quick visit with Mrs. D, and headed for home.
A few months passed and Gitrdun once again was headed north but not all that close to my place, but closer to Predator's place, so the plan was hatched to have those two meet and Predator to pay for the cut and crown work. They met, and Predator took possession of the rifle, and since he was coming to DV in a couple weeks for the gunshow all was set in motion.
When Predator showed up at my place last Saturday morning, he walked into the house and asked me where I wanted him to put my "Mennonite Machinegun!"
I said pardon!
He chuckled and recounted how farmers who often seem to be Mennonite's seem to take a shine to Remington pump rifles since they can shoot real fast.(sounds like a Saskatchewan folk story to me) I laughed long and hard at Predator's choice of words.
I paid Predator for Gitrdun's work, and took receipt of the rifle.

Gitrdun's cut and crown job looks very well done, and he cold blued the crown which looks nearly original.

I then fitted a grind to fit Limbsaver recoil pad. Which required me to true up the butt stock with the chop saw, because the butt had a slight curved face for the original curved hard butt plate.
Next came mounting an older VXII 3-9x40 Leupold I had picked up from Hammer500 off the buy sell on the forum.

This is how this forum has become a living thing, with members helping members.

This rifle will get a range trip in a week when I have a weekend off.

Till next week.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-23-2016, 12:42 PM

That is an awesome story, Dick!!!

I really like the gun too. At one point in time, that rifle was someone's pride and joy. Now it is your's and it has a great story to go along with it. When I was 14 and flipping burgers at Harvey's to save up enough coin for my first rifle, that is the exact gun I wanted. I couldn't find one in the Buy and Sell, so ended up with a 308 BLR. I have never stopped liking those guns, even though I have never shot one.

The final touch on the story will be if she's accurate to boot! Here's hoping.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:22 PM

You are going to be shocked how accurate those rifles are. I have owned several and all were shooters. I am keeping my eyes open for another short one just for old times sake.

Although a pain, the bolt should be disassembled and cleaned often. It comes out the front and is a bit of an adventure the first time. They are notorious for build up and failure to fire when extremely cold.

Mine all kicked more than most magnum rifles so that Limb Saver was a good investment.

They are right there with the 300 Savage 99 and the good old Winchester 30-30 for the best bush gun ever made. The comparison ends in the bush however as you can reach out a bit with these.

This one would consistently break clays at 200 yards using factory 180s.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-23-2016, 06:30 PM
Banned

Nice gun!
I saw them advertised the other day at $129.95 which I thought was a pretty good deal. Even if it needed an aftermarket pad.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:54 PM

My X brother in-law has a dozen high end rifles he changes them like some people change shoes. He always hunts white tail with his 760 30-06 pump and silver tips every year, when something works for you why change.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:50 PM

Just as funny was running into (not literally lol), Gitrdun on Hwy 2 two days later as he made his way home and I headed to his territory.
Good to see it come together and to be part of the story. I think it will serve you well.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Banned

I'm sure that "Mennonite machine gun" will serve you well Dick. It's in good hands for sure. And, t'was a pleasure meeting up with you again Predator, too long between rodeos.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:10 PM
Banned

Some good hands on that rifle so far for sure.

Did you shoot it before getting the barrel cut? It'll be interesting to see how it shoots for sure.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:32 PM

I'm not sure about the Mennonite being attached to the name. Being Mennonite myself, and living in a Mennonite community, it seems strange that people that can pinch a penny harder than most anybody else, would want to flail a bunch of money away. I could sooner see them use one shot, and then finish the deal by beating the poor thing to death instead of spending even a penny on another shot. Maybe our community differs from the ones out West.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
I'm not sure about the Mennonite being attached to the name. Being Mennonite myself, and living in a Mennonite community, it seems strange that people that can pinch a penny harder than most anybody else, would want to flail a bunch of money away. I could sooner see them use one shot, and then finish the deal by beating the poor thing to death instead of spending even a penny on another shot. Maybe our community differs from the ones out West.
Chill dude, it's a quasi catchy name, nothing more nothing less.

In the same vane as a "Saskatchewan farmers socket set."

There are no absolutes
Old 05-24-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I have four Mennonite friends who hunt - three of them shoot Remington pumps .
The fourth shoots a '99 Savage in 308
Cat
Old 05-24-2016, 07:41 PM

I love the 760's. I have one in .270 that i have owned for 30 years and have taken many deer and a few moose with it. Almost cried when i tried putting a Limbsaver recoil pad on it and ended up splitting the stock on it. Afterwards i put a Boyds stock on it and she still shoots great.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:56 PM

Is this a noisy gun? The pump rattles, is my memory of walking in the bush with a guy who owned one
Old 05-24-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Chill dude, it's a quasi catchy name, nothing more nothing less.

In the same vane as a "Saskatchewan farmers socket set."
I was not offended by the phrase, it just doesn't make sense that people that are so tight with their money would waste ammo. It is a term I have never heard before.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I was not offended by the phrase, it just doesn't make sense that people that are so tight with their money would waste ammo. It is a term I have never heard before.
It's the contradiction that adds to the humour.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-25-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Is this a noisy gun? The pump rattles, is my memory of walking in the bush with a guy who owned one
There is an o-ring on the part that the pump slides on. If it is wore out or missing you will get that terrible rattle. With a new o-ring on it it will not rattle at all.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:35 AM

Apparently the naming convention is not limited to AO

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/169...ump_rifle.html
Old 05-26-2016, 04:53 AM

I had one in 243, still looking for another in 7mm-08.

if you get any aftermarket magazines you may have to fiddle with the lip on them. Mine came used with 5 mags and I think 3 or 4 needed some jimmying to feed properly.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-26-2016, 07:07 AM

Very nice Dick! Have my Grandfathers Remington set. Killed my first deer with that pump gun. It still gets field time.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:12 PM

As a Mennonite as well, I can see the logic. A Mennonite would NEVER in a million years pony up 30-40-50,000 for a machine gun, even if it WERE legal here. For less than a grand, that pump will fire so fast...you'll THINK it's a machine gun...

That's my theory, and Imma stick with it
Old 05-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Banned

Nice work Dick, and great story.

Great gun, and is a perfect truck gun in my humble opinion.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Nice work Dick, and great story.

Great gun, and is a perfect truck gun in my humble opinion.
I agree , the '06 is perfect for everything up to and including the Chevy
Top Kick - anything bigger however and you need to go up to a 375!
Cat
Old 05-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I agree , the '06 is perfect for everything up to and including the Chevy
Top Kick - anything bigger however and you need to go up to a 375!
Cat
Ahhh yes. I forgot the 375 is min calibre in Alberta for the big Cats. 777's, etc
Old 05-28-2016, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Very nice Dick! Have my Grandfathers Remington set. Killed my first deer with that pump gun. It still gets field time.

Dang Mike. I was in Sherwood Park lately. Had I known you lived there I would have rang you for a visit.

Anyhow, my new to me and first ever 30-06 will be my loyal pardner this hunting season. Hopefully I get drawn for a 304 cow elk.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
You are going to be shocked how accurate those rifles are. I have owned several and all were shooters. I am keeping my eyes open for another short one just for old times sake.

Although a pain, the bolt should be disassembled and cleaned often. It comes out the front and is a bit of an adventure the first time. They are notorious for build up and failure to fire when extremely cold.

Mine all kicked more than most magnum rifles so that Limb Saver was a good investment.

They are right there with the 300 Savage 99 and the good old Winchester 30-30 for the best bush gun ever made. The comparison ends in the bush however as you can reach out a bit with these.

This one would consistently break clays at 200 yards using factory 180s.

[IMG][/IMG]
x2 on this. My current 760 wears a lyman peep and will shoot 1- 1.5 moa all day. Its a .308, the barrel has been cut down to 20"... carrys, handles, and shoots like a dream . I've owned 3 at this point and all of them were shooters.

Although I've heard about them jamming in cold weather I've never had it happen to me. I've hunted in blizzards that had the action bars coated in ice and tempatures down to -30 and mine have always cycled properly.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Mine got real loud whenever l pulled the trigger.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:50 PM
Banned

Hey, it's a good old gun made of metal and wood. How can that go wrong?
Old 05-28-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

Really digging that basket weave checkering on the rifle, nice collection.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:25 PM

Did the final load development on this rifle.
I settled on mounting a 1.5-6x36, Bushnell 4200 on her.

She shoots like this at 100 yds.(I know the paster is upside down)

Those are 155gr Amax's doing a tad over 2800fps at the muzzle.

150 BTSP's do almost as good, but I'm hanging on to the last box or so, for big game hunting.

I did manage to go to 300 yards on some steel as well. 6"-7" of hold over had me smacking a 4" square, 4 for 4.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Did the final load development on this rifle.
I settled on mounting a 1.5-6x36, Bushnell 4200 on her.

She shoots like this at 100 yds.(I know the paster is upside down)

Those are 155gr Amax's doing a tad over 2800fps at the muzzle.

150 BTSP's do almost as good, but I'm hanging on to the last box or so, for big game hunting.

I did manage to go to 300 yards on some steel as well. 6"-7" of hold over had me smacking a 4" square, 4 for 4.
You missed. A Mennonite would never miss. Costs money. I think they only shoot one shot groups as well.

Nice group by the way.