Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

Default Antlerhill taxidermy

Hey guys I have been looking around for some taxidermists in the red deer area and would like your thoughts on Antlerhill taxidermy. I have heard a few good things about them and then I see a few pictures as well that make me think no way in hell I would send an animal there. The birds I have seen do not seem that great and the leopard on their web page looks real bad. Some of the deer heads look great as does the sheep on their website. I am just wondering how there deer,elk and sheep heads look mostly for now and how their pricing is.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2009, 10:15 PM

Default Antler Hill Taxidermy

Antler Hill Taxidermy has been really good with all of my mounts. I have had them do a full mount wolf, a half mount bear and a whitetail and have been really happy with the work done on all of them. We also had them do a Great horned owl coming in on a weasel and they did an awesome job with that as well. If you want to see some pictures of their work, P.M me your E-mail and I will send you some pics.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 AM

Antlerhill did my Dad's antelope last fall. Really quick turnaround and awesome work.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Default AntlerHill Taxidermy

Im not a fan of Antlerhill In my opinon they are way over priced and when I brought my walleye to them i wanted it done in a certain way I Gave them very clear diretions on how I wanted it they wrote every thing down and they didnt do a single thing I asked for still looked ok but not what i wanted If your looking for a good Taxidermist at a good price give Tyler Pletz a call At Highpoint Taxidermy He does Awsome work at a very Resonable price For a deer he charges around 500 I think Antlerhill is Almost Double that an in my opinon Tyler does better work to. His number is 403 783 1565 He works out of Rimbey
Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Look at his work ask for refferances lots of them see if you feel comfortable I am framiliar with his work thats about all same with the guy in Rimbey, You are on the right track but ignore those that try to sell their brand on your thread if this was mine I would promote my Wildlife artist. No matter what it has to be what turns your crank I know what I like and I know other who like stuff I would not hang on my wall.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 AM

I was just contacted by Jason from antlerhill a few weeks ago and he just picked up my sheep from this year. I looked at a bunch of his pictures and although it is hard to tell from pictures I thought his shoulder mounts looked good in the pictures. There were a few mounts that I was unasure about the quality but it may have been a bad picture or it looks like an old picture and may have been from when they were starting out years and years ago. It was mostly a couple lifesized mounts that looks a little odd.
After seeing things I think that they will do a great job on the mount. I will send out a complete thread on it after it is done and if it all goes well then it will be another taxidermist on the list to use for those that live near Inasfail. Can not wait till I get him back. All I have to decide is what type of mount to do now.
I wanted a full sneek with the head turned but I can not see a form anywhere around in any of my taxidermy mags. and catalogues.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 AM

The blue goose on his 'birds & fish' page is terrible. The wings are wrong and the neck is stretched way too long.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Gone Hunting

I had my 07 mule done there. Some flaws if you are looking, and afew detail issues, but then again, I dont recall requesting high end/competition taxidermy either. Ive seen alot of his stuff in the past, my Dad has a bunch done by these guys. I am really quite happy with Rolands work. So far, so good. I will say, Roland really went out of his way to please me on this one. I had to push for a drying period deadline for an official scoring, as we were dealing with a known squeeker. I was concerned about cracking, etc etc, this baby is 110% sound. Please me, yes he did. Heres afew pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize.jpg (64.7 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg resize2.jpg (72.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg resize3.jpg (73.7 KB, 118 views)

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 05-14-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:59 AM

Yes I belive that on a few things there are some flaws but his shoulder mounts look fine to me. some of his owls look great as well. I am not too worried about it and only time will tell. At least it is not my first sheep and if it doesn't turn out then no big deal. I am actually planning on going downa nd watching him put it together and he has been more than acomadating to me. Jason has a great personality as well and you can see he cares about his work and will do the best he can. I have total faith in the work done and can't wait to get the sheep on the wall.
Anybody have any ideas for what kind of mount to do?
I was thinking of haveing the same thing done as your mount there PACKHUNTER with a stretched neck and have it turned a bit to the side. It is hard finding sheep forms other than the usually head mount styles so I will have to look around for some ideas.
Any sugestions?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Gone Hunting

I think a sheep in full sneak with a slight turn would look awesome Nube. If ya had another or were willing to wait to do it, a pedestal with two rams, or a ram and a ewe would look rank. Throw a lip curl and blood shot eyes on the ram and walla, some pretty smoking stuff if its done right. A guy could sure get creative with someone elses money eh!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 05-14-2009, 11:08 AM
sheephunter

If you are looking for something really different in a ram mount, here's what I had done with my ram from 5 years ago. I'm getting a wall pedestal done with last year's.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 PM

thats a nice mount
Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Nube, a taxidermist can always alter a form to get what you want with the stretched neck, if you can't find one you like
Old 05-16-2009, 09:15 AM

Sheep, Tha is what I have been thinking of for a mount. Do you know who made that form. The only form I can find like that is made from Dewayn Dewey form # DDBH1.