Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:05 AM

Default Scammer alert

Hey guys there is another scammer out there. Username is m.preacher. Said his name is David. Phone # is 604-265-0670.

He replied to my WTB ad for a tikka m65 in 6.5x55.

These are the pics he sent. He refused to send more pictures.

Reverse image search shows the pics from here:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/639799...5--300-win-mag

I've contacted the admin.

He's also got a Schmidt & Bender listed in the buy/sell. Beware!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Suspended User

That's all it takes for you to label someone a scammer. Should I be calling the guy who started messaging me about my motor a scammer? He wanted me to text him and never continued the conversation? Scamming me?
Old 06-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
That's all it takes for you to label someone a scammer. Should I be calling the guy who started messaging me about my motor a scammer? He wanted me to text him and never continued the conversation? Scamming me?

I wouldn't be worried MrDave. Sounds like he's not interested or bought another motor. It is frustrating when they leave you hanging like that though.
As for the OP, thanks for the heads up. Another reason I only do face to face these days when I do buy something. Glad you caught that the pics were from an ad in the states before you etransfered any money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 AM

Look at the original armslist link. Rifle was advertised in the US as a tikka m65 in 300 win mag.

The pics I received were the same pics only with the armslist watermark chopped off. I asked to have a pic with the rifle and a piece of paper with some handwriting in it to verify the rifle was in their possession. Person said they could ship it out if they received payment immediately. Phoned the phone number. It's a text email subscriber #.

Believe me I wanted that rifle, and sat on this for a few days before outing him when I noticed he had upped his post count and was posting things in the EE as soon as he hit 20 posts.

I've done a ton of deals on CGN and a few here on Alberta outdoorsmen so it wasn't because he stopped answering me.

Thanks though.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post

Pretty quick to judge there MrDave!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Default Could be lots of reasons

Not sure he is a scammer, he might be out of reach or just no longer interested. Refusing to send pics or other data sounds like a bot or (again) just lost interest.

If he actually ripped you off that is another matter but it sounds like no cash changed hands. Using a stock photo (esp if you don't have an actual photo handy) is Ok as long as somewhere on the way I see a real (verifiable) pic, I'm going to eventually see it in person anyways.

There are very few things I would buy sight unseen and have shipped, the risk is totally to the buyer...anything costing more than a few bucks warrants a face to face or a very clear return policy (had some surprises on a dashcam lately despite a return policy).
Old 06-06-2017, 12:56 PM

I agree, sounds like a scammer to me.

Had something similar tried on me the other day. Posted an ad looking for a certain type of vehicle. Buddy texts me from an AB number saying he has one. Gives me a quick run down on it and a price, seemed like a pretty good deal. Said he was coming into town and could bring it on a trailer, but needed a $50 payment to do so just so he "wasn't wasting his time". I replied saying I could simply drive and check it out at his place at a later date. He replies saying he lives in Saskatoon. At that point I realized it was complete BS. Looked more carefully at the pics sent and realized they were likely from Google. Stopped replying there.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 PM

Big zeke you and I see this differently then. I've NEVER used photos from a different ad from a different country claiming them to be the rifle I'm selling.

To me that's a huge red flag.

Anyways I wanted to warn you guys before someone sent him 2500 bucks for the Schmidt & Bender optic he was trying to sell.

Other than that I agree about trying to meet face to face but in this case he was from the lower mainland.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Gotta admit it does smell fishy, this guy was called out and hasn't come to his defense, I guess stay tuned!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
Not sure he is a scammer, he might be out of reach or just no longer interested....

If he actually ripped you off that is another matter but it sounds like no cash changed hands. Using a stock photo (esp if you don't have an actual photo handy) is Ok as long as somewhere on the way I see a real (verifiable) pic, I'm going to eventually see it in person anyways.
I totally disagree. This has SCAMMER written all over it!!!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Gotta admit it does smell fishy, this guy was called out and hasn't come to his defense, I guess stay tuned!
it is not a case that he won't respond he can't because his is banned.
Cat