Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 PM

Default SPOT and rescue costs

We just bought a SPOT for our club and it offers a search and rescue option that covers 100 000 of additional rescue resources. My question is this: Isn't rescue still a free service in Canada? I sure don't want to put this on my credit card, have someone else in the club take it out, and I get the bill for something!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 AM
guidehunt

check out there web site there some info there .
Old 05-01-2009, 06:35 PM

Angry Rescue Free

Rescue is not free in Canada I have a bill from the Fox Creek Fire Department to prove it. $1600 to get from fox creek to deep valley and they didn't even get there before STARS and peace river ambulance showed up.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gunner View Post
Rescue is not free in Canada I have a bill from the Fox Creek Fire Department to prove it. $1600 to get from fox creek to deep valley and they didn't even get there before STARS and peace river ambulance showed up.
????

fill us in.
Did you make the call for them?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 PM

I'd like to hear your story too. I hear of cases where people have to pay, then i hear of some involving helicopters and airplanes that are not charged. There are different organizations too, so maybe some have different policies than others?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy View Post
We just bought a SPOT for our club and it offers a search and rescue option that covers 100 000 of additional rescue resources. My question is this: Isn't rescue still a free service in Canada? I sure don't want to put this on my credit card, have someone else in the club take it out, and I get the bill for something!
The extra fee for this service is $7.95 Us for one year. I cannot tell you if all of this type of service is free in Canada or not, But for $7.95 US I donot want to find out. The one thing that I did not Renew this year, was the tracking feature. Just keep pressing the OK button. There are some changes for 2009.

Bruce.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 PM

We just got these units at work last week too. From what I was told by our safety department, the $100,000 is to cover charges relating to a false call out.

I think that is usually how the charges work anyways, free if it was deemed necessary. But that is just what I have heard, I have no actual documentation to back it up.

Here's to hoping I will never have to push the 911 button and find out.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 AM

I have had a couple of buddies that spurred the SARTechs into action, including helicopter extraction. Neither received a bill for the rescue.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 PM

Default Rescue Costs

I activated SPOT after my quad roll over. They activated 911 peace ambulance arrived first and stabilized me on location. Next was the RCMP who acted like a complete dick because he put his cruiser in the ditch on the way into deep valley. Next STARS arrived and transported me to Edmonton. A month thereafter I recieved a bill from the peace river ambulance service which I promptly paid($1200). A month later I recieved a bill from the fox creek Volunteer Fire Department for a rescue truck, quads, and 4 hours of time($1600). I activated SPOT at 10:30 and was in the chopper at 11:30. Fox Creek did not even do anything in fact if they made it to scene it was long after I was gone. So in short, rescue is not free in Alberta. I pay enough taxes here in Alberta I would think that I would get something back
Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Hey 6gunner. I hope that you have made a full recovery and are feeling well. 25 years ago it may well have been a far different outcome.

Tree
Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Hey 6gunner. I hope that you have made a full recovery and are feeling well. 25 years ago it may well have been a far different outcome.

Tree
If it was The SPOT that made the difference, it was only two years +- ago. Looks like the $7.95 US Yearly Fee looks like a good add on to this unit.

Bruce.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Looks like the $7.95 US Yearly Fee looks like a good add on to this unit.
Does that 7.95 US cover search/rescue in canada or is it just the states?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Does that 7.95 US cover search/rescue in canada or is it just the states?
I am understanding that it covers all the areas that the SPOT can be used in the world, to cover services "911", that other countries, and it seems that Canada/Alberta do not pay for.

OPTIONAL SERVICES.

10.2 Optional Search and Rescue Membership Provided by GEOS. You acknowledge that should you choose to purchase the option Search and Rescue Service provided by GEOS, that such contract will be directly between you and GEOS, and that SPOT is not a party and in no way liable to you for any issues or claims that may arise in connection with such optional Searce and Rescue Service. the optional GEOS Private Search and Rescue Membership is billed on annual basis and will cover up to $100,000 of cost per year for additioal (private) Search and Rescue in the event that such additional resources are necessary for yout safety. GEOS has contracted with a major insurance underwriter (currently Lloyd's of London) to underwrite this policy.
The rest you can find on SPOT'S Site.

Bruce

Bruce.

Last edited by AB RANGER 007; 05-07-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 PM

someone can confirm or correct me but doesn't the AFGA member insurance cover search and rescue in Alberta
Old 05-07-2009, 01:18 PM

rescue costs are tricky in Canada because policies are all over the place.

You are generally covered if a federal government agency does it:
Park Warden, military SAR techs or coast guard.
In the national parks it's not really "free" because the money comes from the park passes and wilderness passes; either way you are covered.

Provincial parks are all over the place and in mots other places you may get a bill.

Used to be in Alberta Provincial Parks that "medical evacuation" were covered and others not. That means you brake something and the bird takes you straight to the hospital you're good, if you are lost and flown to the highway you pay. Would advise against breaking a limb to save money though and I'm not sure this policy is still in effect.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 PM

my nephew was rescued from blackstone mtn i asked him if he ever was charged any fees for being recued this was his reply

(No I have never seen a bill. Becusae it was an accident the government picked up the bill.Wich is probably a good thing cuz I know helicopters are not cheap plus all other resorces that were used. If I were doing somthing that I shouldnt have I would have had to pay)

if any of you got the sept 2008 adition of alberta outdoorsmen magazine his story was titled
SHEEP HUNTING DISASTER

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 05-08-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 PM

My son just activated his SPOT and I track him doing a mountain climb in Klane National park. You can op to have someone monitor you trip and for go the cost of the 911 at SPOT. when you setup the SPOT you can list persons who can monitor your trip on their computer. all the Spot features will be e-mailed to those persons you have chosen. They can monitor your movements and see exactly where the person is on a sat map. It works really well and I have one now for myself.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gunner View Post
I activated SPOT after my quad roll over. They activated 911 peace ambulance arrived first and stabilized me on location. Next was the RCMP who acted like a complete dick because he put his cruiser in the ditch on the way into deep valley. Next STARS arrived and transported me to Edmonton. A month thereafter I recieved a bill from the peace river ambulance service which I promptly paid($1200). A month later I recieved a bill from the fox creek Volunteer Fire Department for a rescue truck, quads, and 4 hours of time($1600). I activated SPOT at 10:30 and was in the chopper at 11:30. Fox Creek did not even do anything in fact if they made it to scene it was long after I was gone. So in short, rescue is not free in Alberta. I pay enough taxes here in Alberta I would think that I would get something back
Holy crap man. There will be bones sticking out. Totally incapacitated. Family will know where I am. If this is the cost of a rescue .I will get my a## out one way or another. I will take my chances if i Am any way mobile. Drive to the hospital myself.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:33 PM

I just place the distress call on my Iridium sat phone at a 1.75 a min. The call will go to family or friends and they had better come rescue me or WERE so over
Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon 1 View Post
My son just activated his SPOT and I track him doing a mountain climb in Klane National park. You can op to have someone monitor you trip and for go the cost of the 911 at SPOT. when you setup the SPOT you can list persons who can monitor your trip on their computer. all the Spot features will be e-mailed to those persons you have chosen. They can monitor your movements and see exactly where the person is on a sat map. It works really well and I have one now for myself.
Yukon 1, I think that you should check the services that you have on your Spot Account. The Bacsic Service is $99.99 USD/YR includes, ALERT 9-1-1, CHECK/OK, and HELP,( Reguest from your family/friends.) the TRACKING UPGRADE OPTION is $49.99USD/YR.

Bruce.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 PM

Something you should be aware of is that the spot needs to be right side up and have a clear view of the sky to work. Falling down a crevase or into a deep gully and it may not be able to work for you. Of course this would also apply to a sat phone such as Iridium too. Dont even worry about getting out to call for help if your carrying a global star not good for much more then a boat anchor.
I carry both an Iridium and a Spot when out on the land. Not much in the way of houses to walk to or a chance of bumping into someone else up here.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:26 AM

If you get 911 and an ambulance is dispatched you will have to pay as they are not owned by the govt. Search and rescue is a fedral paid service I know cuase 2 years ago like cant rope the wind mentioned I was rescued out of the Blackstone. they used 2 choppers S.A.R. out of Nordegg and Rocky mnt hs, RCMP and fish and game. and for being charged for the fire dep is somthing I have never heard about I used to be a volenteer fifre fighter and never heard of any body being sent a bill but I do know if forestry gets involved they will bill you for there services. but so you all know search and rescue is a free cost but if you are doing somthing your not suposed to they can fine you the cost of your rescue.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 AM

what do you mean by, doing something you're not supposed to?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:39 AM

By that I mean anything illegal of corse, but an eg would be skiing out of bounds and in genral being in a place thats posted for no entry and you get in there and get yourself in a situation you may have to pay so thats why its good to check maps of the area cause if you quad into a flu zone and get hurt that might cost you, but if you were to flip your quad outside of the fluz you probably wont have to pay. Im not 100% on all this, but this was what I was told by some S.A.R. and in the long run a bill even if its big dosent really matter as long as you make it out alive I know I was ready to pay if I had to when I was rescued money was the least of my worries.