Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2007, 11:06 PM
270 win

Default 270 win

What have you guys dropped with a 270 win. I have heard stories from my buddies dropping elk with it but Im not convinced that it will because I have shot one before and I think it was a little to light. Well Im not sure 270 win. or the 7mm rem mag. or if you guys can think of any other rifle that will put down an elk/moose.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:20 AM
lilsundance

personal opinion here only but go with a 30-06.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:39 AM
YamahaMan72

i shoot 7MAG got my elk this year i luv my gun they are a great gun
Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 AM
wallhangers

My father started me off on a 270 which is what he shot and I continued the tradition by doing the same for my sons. It is of course a matter of preference and as many will say bullet placement bullet placement bullet placement. Wouldn't trade up or down as confidence with your gun is important. I have been shooting the same gun for 40 years and have only had one animal get up and walk (run) away.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:19 AM
RockyMountainMusic

just my personal opinion, you cant go wrong with a .270, a lot of people like the .30 cals and of course they do the trick. Me well i have a .270 from an uncle i have shot everything in alberta except antelope, sheep, goat and grizz and i would go after any with confidence with my .270. I shot a moose 5 years ago with a 140gr failsafe, he was trotting away (180yrds)and i put it a touch to far foward and hit him directly in the front shoulder and it went through both shoulders and made a mess out of it. i wont use them bullets anymore unless i was going after grizz. I also shot a buffalo a couple years ago a shot him between the eyes at 150yrds and it killed him stone dead and they have a pretty thick skull. i have shot about a dozen moose and 4 or 5 elk with it. It's a personal choice but it will do the trick if used proper.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 AM
270 win

Default 270 win

Quote:
What have you guys dropped with a 270 win.
Moose, bear,and deer and the "odd" yote.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Dick284

Interesting that you bring up the 270 "t".
This caliber is what I usually recommend to the novice.
It is capable of cleanly taking most comonly hunted N. American game, while being a touch easier on the NooB's shoulder.
Ammo's also as easy to find as any of the other popular calibers.
I have one buddy who has harvested everything from moose, elk, caribou, mule deer, wt deer, and antelope with his 270Win., Ruger #1 using home loaded 130gr. Partitions.
Also knew a family (Son, Dad, Uncle) who all ran Pre 64 Mod. 70's, in 270Win, with the "Jack O'connor load" and 130gr Partitions. collectively, they had harvested something like, 3 grizzly bear, dozens of elk, dozens of moose, hundreds of deer, sheep, goats, and a healthy measure of antelope.

If you take a look at the shelves of the local in the middle of nowhere hardware store, and note what calibers that are on the shelf, you begin to see a pattern develope. What's there for ammo is there because it's popular, and it's only popular because it works .
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Reynolds

The latest copy of Alberta Outdoorsmen has a good article on the 270.

Bottom line from the Gunsmith - the 270 is best suited to be a deer and varmit gun. The 270s once popularity is based on marketing and not the guns capability. The 270 is just a necked down 3006 case so why not have a 3006 with more capability with more grain selection. The 270 is very limited on bullet grains. The 270 is losing popularity.

Having once owned a 270, I personally agree.

I'm sure people owning the 270 have claims to great success but this article is the opinion of an experienced gunsmith.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Duffy4

I have never owned or hunted with a rifle in .270 win. I have never even shot a .270. Yet looking at its numbers and the experience others have had with it, I'd recomend it. I have used a .264 win. mag. that is not too different from a .270 numbers wise and had good success with it.

"The Gunsmith" puts on his socks one at a time just like the rest of us. He is entitled to his opinion on the .270 but there are lots of other viewpoints. (I took a bit of salt with his bit on the .270)

Robin in Rocky
Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 AM
jrs

Default 270

270 is a fine caliber. Shoots flat and delivers effective energy. There is still lots of choice with factory bullets and reloaders ave even more options. I've shot several deer with mine (both regular 270 and 270WSM) and my hunting partners have shot many moose and black bears with theres, as well as deer and elk. It has some advantages over the 30-06, especially if your hunting flat open terrain. If your hunting thick timber i'd go with a 30-06, or even old 303, doesn't really matter if your shooting under 200 yrds all the time. I still choose 270 for most hunting, when i get a moose tag i'll probably carry my 30-06 for some more energy (or some specialized reloads for my short mag, would choose at the time). They all do the job.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Mike W

Default Re: 270

I have shot an elk with my .270 140 grain bullet and after we loaded it up I thought now why the hell did I not bring my 300 Win Mag.

By all means a proper placed .270 will knock down every thing from moose to yotes, However as mentioned a 30-06 is a great "all around gun" but if you are a lager enough man a 300 is a great gun for moose and elk as well as deer.....a 300 can make a big mess of a deer if you shoot the shoulder but right behind the shoulder and nothing wasted.

I am really happy with my gun setup being 270 for deer and 300 for elk and moose.

If you are only planning on hunting with one gun I would suggest a 30-06 with 165 grain bullets or a 300 in the same grain, a 280 rem is a nice all around gun also.

Don’t get a gun you might be scared of!! If you have a friend with a Mag ask him to come to the range with you so you can try it out, as a Mag is the best bet for Elk and Moose although not the best all around gun.

Cheers
Mike
Old 01-23-2007, 12:17 PM
walleyes

With out a doubt one of the best all round cartridges out there. Other than grizzly it is more than enough gun to take down any north American animal. And I have seen them take down a couple of those as well. I packed a 270 for 23 years and took numerous and I mean numerous moose at ranges from 75 - 400 yards with that little 270, Remington model 760, Bdl. Shot many many Whitetail and black bear as well.
I hunted with a cousin of mine for years, we were inseparable when it came to hunting. And he packed a 30-06 and let me tell you that a 270 will take any animal a 30-06 will. This is not coming from the tables and charts like so many people like to live by this is coming from extensive experience using these rifles.
My sons all start out using that old 270 until they kill there first Moose with it (Whitetail don't count). Then I by them there own rifle.
It is about learning to place you're shots, and knowing that you have to place it rite in order to take you're animal quickly.

My father was a big game guide for years and growing up my older brother and I would take turns leaving school and helping out our dad in camp. And I have seen allot of so called big hunters packing big guns and I seen allot of poor kills coming from those big guns. I had to finish off more than one poor shot with that little 270.
I now pack a 300 Ultra, not because I ever got disappointed with the 270 but I just wanted some bragging rites on who has the biggest gun around our camp fire. My wife bought me the 100 anniversary special addition Remington 30-06 for Christmas and I am looking forward to using this gun as well. Probably as a deer gun. But I will always keep that old 270 because I know it will kill what I aim it at. I can say with confidence and experience anybody that has had an animal walk away from a 270 never shot it rite in the first place and don't blame the gun blame the shooter.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
jrs

Default 300's

The one thing i've noticed about the big 30 calibers (300's 338 etc) is many guys who shoot them live in fear. I know many hunters who saw them and felt to show how manly they are they must shoot the biggest rifle possible. When were at the range, i watch them shoot and these big 300lb 6'3 guys flinch. I know the one guy misses about half the shots he takes with his 300 magnum, mostly because it kicks him hard every time. Then his little brother will make the shot with his 25-06 after the animals far away and running. He takes his time and makes it count. That guy still swears by the gun and i'm not convinced he's ever hit anything with it. Just something to think about.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Dick284

Default Dick284

Dick284, I just bought my daughter a new gun, Tikka T3 in .270Win caliber. She had been shooting a 6mm but we decided she needed a larger caliber for moose. I noticed you mentioned loads when referring to the .270. What would you recommend? BL
Old 01-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Reloads

Default Reloads

"What would you recommend? BL " i would say buy a reloading book of your own (WHY) What may work in one gun may not in another .
Old 01-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Have access already

Default Have access already

CJ, I have 2 friends who reload for me. Not sure at this point if either one has the .270 die, pretty sure one does, but he is in the States for the next 2 months. He has been reloading for 30+ years so I thought I would get another opinion and compare with my buddies. I know what you mean about loads being better in one gun or vice versa. My daughter has trouble with 100 grain bullets from her 6mm, whereas, 107 shoots well for her. Thanks for your reply. Do you have an opinion on a .270 load? BL
Old 01-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Dick284

Default Re: Have access already

BL:
I echo CJ's advice on getting a manual. But I am also not above letting you in on a few book recipies.
The O'Connor load consist of a really full case of H4831, and a 130gr. bullet, his load is now over book spec because the 4831 he ran in the late 40's is not the same burn rate as we get today. but from my manuals I'll recommend loads between 56gr. and 60gr.(130gr.)
Also the 4350 powders either H or IMR are good choices, think of starting around 52grs. and going to no more than 55gr.(130gr.)
Also dont rule out the 140gr. bullets they are a great pill if you feel you need(you really dont) more bullet weight.
Same powders but back the loads off about 2 to 3 grs.
The nice thing nowadays is not the need for more bullet weight. Just move to a tougher constructed bullet as your quarry gets larger. A do it all pill is the Nosler Partition, other tough notables in no particular order are the Hornady Interbond's. Nosler Accubond's, Speer Grand Slam, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Swift A-Frame. And the toughest of the lot most likely being the Barnes TSX, although the A-Frame is a tough cookie too. I am not a great fan of the non bonded polymer tipped bullets(Ballistic tip, SST) they are great for long range work but give some erratic results on close impacts.
And you wont have a tough time turning away deer sized game if all you have up the pipe are plain old Hornady Interlock's either BTSP's or SP's, these are my go to bullets for most deer sized game.
Simple rule of thumb is take a 130gr. pill drive it at at least 3000fps, and set your sights for 2.5" high at 100yds, and you wont have to hold any higher than his back to about 375yds. and at that distance you have enough energy to theroretically take a moose to that range(1400ftlbs.)
That's more than enough for 90% of what ever any of us ever encounter out in the field.
And since something like 80% of all game is taken at 200yds or less what else does a guy need.
(Some wise arse is gonna chime in just wait): :lol
And BTW: Most of the guys out there dont practice enough to shoot much past 200yds ethically anyways. (just the facts BTW)
Old 01-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks

Default Thanks

Dick284, thanks very much for your time and effort in looking that info up for me (and my daughter). She is very eager to get out and try her new gun. I'm probably more excited than she is. Next year my son gets a new gun. Thanks again. BL
Old 01-23-2007, 10:56 PM
I still think 270 is a little light for dedicated elk gun

Default I still think 270 is a little light for dedicated elk gun

www.rifleshootermag.com/f..._deer_elk/

I didn't read this article but it may have some good info on elk rifles
Old 01-24-2007, 12:30 AM
cmfic1

Default Re: I still think 270 is a little light for dedicated elk gu

Alot of people get all worked up about the "Lightness" of a .270. Although not a .270, but using this for comparison, there is a very well known and successful long time AK Outfitter, named Phil Shoemaker who for years used a 30/06 for a backup/followup rifle for Alaskan Brown Bear. He swore by it & still does.

I have said it before, but there is nothing in Alberta I wouldnt Hunt/Shoot with a 7mm/08, and the .270 Win. ballistically is very, very similar.

I once guided an older fellow in the Yukon. He was up on a Mixed bag hunt. Shooting a .270 Win. with 150 gr. Nosler Partitions, he was successful in taking a Mnt. Grizzly, AK/YK Moose & a nice Caribou Bull. I watched him closely at the range, he shot really well & after he Heart shot his Griz (at 110 yards or so, the Bear ran under 150 yards), I had total confidence in his shooting and his choice of Chambering.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:33 AM

Default 270

If you like to tinker with guns and can't afford to buy a bunch of them get a 300 Win Mag. It has the widest array of bullets available to play with and much more case capacity to dump powder into. If you just want to shoot stuff get a gun with some bullets and go shoot stuff.

I have seen gophers, grouse, rabbits, fox, coyote, wolf, antelope, mule deer, whitetail deer, sheep, elk, moose, black bear all taken effectively with the 270. As far as the bullet selection goes, what's the point. I have taken gophers, grouse, rabbits, fox, coyote, mule deer, whitetail deer, and moose with the same rifle with the same bullet - 150 gr. Sierra Boat Tail at 3000 fps. If and when I get a chance at wolf, antelope, sheep, elk, black bear and caribou they will die from the same pill.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Dick284

You know abhunter:
If you actually read his first post you'd have noticed the rifle is for his daughter. Your love affair for the 300Win.Mag. is not without foundation for many shooters, but as a recommendation to a begining female, it borders on irresponsable.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:30 AM
slipbobber

How did that grouse taste after you shot it with your 300 Win mag?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 AM
bigbore

you know Dick:

abhunter could have clicked on the "reply" button right under the inital post of this entire thread by the user " t " which was ...

Quote:
What have you guys dropped with a 270 win. I have heard stories from my buddies dropping elk with it but Im not convinced that it will because I have shot one before and I think it was a little to light. Well Im not sure 270 win. or the 7mm rem mag. or if you guys can think of any other rifle that will put down an elk/moose.

....which in case did not mention a daughter and would have brought his reply as next in line.

just an observation.

BTW...jack brittinghams daughter who cant be more than 10 years old hunts buffalo with a .300 win mag, depending on how old the video is that i own where she hunted buffs. just another observation
Old 01-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Re: 270

You know DICK, if you had any reading comprehension skills you would not have posted any of that. If you felt like contributing anything other than being an ***** you wouldn't have posted it.

I don't own or like the 300 - it is the ultimate "tweener" gun. Just stated a fact that if you want to tinker (as many '06 proponents like to point out they can) then you can get the most tinker from one calibre with the 300 Win. Mag.

The rest of my post evidenced that I believe the 270 to be an excellent "shooters" calibre.

As bigbore pointed out, there is no daughter in this thread.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:37 AM
bigbore

Default actually...

there was

by BL

Quote:
Dick284, I just bought my daughter a new gun, Tikka T3 in .270Win caliber. She had been shooting a 6mm but we decided she needed a larger caliber for moose. I noticed you mentioned loads when referring to the .270. What would you recommend? BL

i just thought you might have been replying to the intial post of this thread.

anyways...............
Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 AM
nube

Default Re: actually...

I get a little tired of posts like this. Is this gun good for this is that gun good for that. The fact is, it is all about bullet placement. I have shot a few elk with a 270 starting out when I was 14 and on up. I know a friend who shot his grzzly bear in the NWT with it. The same could be and has been done with a 243 I am sure. Although a 270 might not be the best for big game like this it will still work just fine if you can hit the right spot.8o 8o 8o
Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 AM
WHAT ABOUT

Default WHAT ABOUT

Its funny that no one talks about the trusty 303 cal. any more dose anyone ever use one ????? sorry to get off track a little.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:04 AM
jrs

Default jrs

I mentioned it (the 303). If your hunting thick brush (most of northern Alberta thats all you need).
Old 01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Re: WHAT ABOUT

Default Re: WHAT ABOUT

Bigbore, is BL t? Perhaps Dick knows something we don't. I posted germane to the thread - what have you taken with the 270.

The 303 is an excellent cartridge for North American big game. No one chambers for it so you don't see it much anymore. The old military rifles are slowly disappearing.