Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 AM

Default These 'wild horses' are getting more press than the swine flu!

So, I got into a contrite email exchange last september with Katie Schnieder from the sun, and I'm not going to bother now again because you just can't fix stupid.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=23864

So going through the calgary sun website this morning, there's at least three articles on this. Now apparantly hollywood is involved...

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber...3/9334471.html

News Calgary & Alberta
Wild horse killings spark international interest
By KATIE SCHNEIDER, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 3rd May 2009, 12:10pm
The senseless slaughter of four wild horses near Sundre has garnered international outrage, while the reward to catch their killer has grown again, to $25,000.

The shooting deaths of four horses, including a foal about to be born, has struck a chord with people from all over the province and as far away as Hollywood, where actress Alyssa Milano has posted interest in the issue on Twitter.

The bodies of the four-year-old stallion, a yearling colt and the mare, who appeared to go into labour shortly after being gunned down, were found about 30 km west of Sundre Tuesday night.

The Wild Horses of Alberta Society (WHOA), Innisfail Truck Field and Alberta Equestrian Foundation all pitched in to double the $10,000 reward that was set up in 2007 for other unsolved equine killings.

And after another anonymous donor contributed $5,000, the reward for information leading to an arrest has jumped to $25,000 in a matter of days, said Bob Henderson, of WHOA.

"Everyone who comes up to me are outraged, just totally outraged because of the senseless act," he said.

"We just need this to end."

He said it's encouraging to know the issue is touching people as far away as the U.S.

"It's not just local type people in Calgary and Edmonton that care--it's other people," he said.

"We've had emails from as far away as Florida, from a police officer in Florida about the type of person who does this."

And knowing the issue has captured the attention of people like Milano, former star of Who's the Boss and Charmed, is motivation as well.

"We all hope somehow, somewhere we could attach a name of a movie star or musician to our cause...like Wild Horses of Alberta Society spokesman Ian Tyson," he said.

"If we're touching hearts of people there in Hollywood, this is a compassionate issue."

And he said since the recent deaths, several tips have poured in to the WHOA and the RCMP.

"There's good information coming in," he said.

So they've raised 25 grand for this? I don't support breaking the law, but wow. Too bad a person couldn't raise 25 thousand for somthing worthwhile.

I do like horses, in fact I really miss having my own horse. But these aren't wild horses, they're feral and should be treated just like feral pigs.

Sorry for starting another thread, but I couldn't believe how much press is being covered on this. It appears Katie really has a burr in her blanket.

"The bodies of the four-year-old stallion, a yearling colt and the mare, who appeared to go into labour shortly after being gunned down, were found about 30 km west of Sundre Tuesday night." - There's sensationalism to tug at heartstrings there eh?

Ok, rant over cause the coffee's kicking in.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 PM

It is too bad these folks don't show the same concern for real crimes, the ones involving people.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 PM

It's today's world. Animals have a higher prioprity than humans, in the general Public's mind. We just had a case here, where some guy did in a couple of stray puppies, his stepdaughter brought home. He plead guilty. Cost him 2500. The girl was in the habit of bringing home stray animals and at one time, she had 41 dogs, on the property. She was told not to bring home anymore, but did anyway. When the stepfather told her to get rid of these two, she refused, so he did them in with a club, since he didn't have a gun. According to the paper, all is well now, the 17 year old girl got rid of the dogs and now has a baby, to occupy her.
Grizz