Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Default Treeing Bears

I was watching Bowhunter Magazine TV with Larry D. Jones the other day.

He was spot and stalking black bears on Vancouver Island. He stalked up to probably about 15 yards of a small black. After getting some footage he ran straight at it huffing like bears do.

The bear shot straight up the nearest tree. I'm thinking of doing this on smaller bears that I pass up with the rifle this year, for my first stickbow kill.

My question is doesn't that blackie have to make a split second decision to "Fight or Flight". I realize theres probably some danger to it, but do you think it will work or am I going to get my head gnawed on?
Old 05-16-2009, 06:23 PM

Good luck, If we dont hear back from you, guess we know there decision.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:45 PM

after doing some live captures with the fish cops when i was a kid, id pay to watch this. you should see what a snared bear can do to a tree, your gonna sh@t if he charges back. ive also watched a guy on tv dressed in brown holding moose antlers over his head swaying around like a boss in front of this enornous bull moose....id suggest this as well too.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:55 PM

Only two possible outcomes...............do you feel lucky? Harold
Old 05-16-2009, 07:02 PM

Depends on the fight in the bear, not the bear in the fight!!! Small blacks are usually easy to tree. I saw a little Chihuahua dog do it once and I did it once with an axe. You should ask yourself if it is really worth shooting, even with a bow, once you have had the satisfaction of running it up the tree. A good sized one with prime fur - yeah.
Just make sure the bear does not get a hold of you. Even a 10 pound cub of the year will bite you and sink 10 hooks into your hide pretty good! They are also prone to crapping on your head!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:04 PM

you know after re-reading this , my brother has 2 pitbull terriers . if you wanna jump the backyard fence and chase them into the house ill give you the address.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Hoochie Papa

I blew a stalk last year and the bear got scared and shot up the nearest tree. I was able to get really close and size him up. He was huffing at me, but looked as scared as I was. I decided to pass, and slowly backed away. When I got far enough back, he came down and ran away.

Quite exhilarating to say the least. I'd try it again.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
you know after re-reading this , my brother has 2 pitbull terriers . if you wanna jump the backyard fence and chase them into the house ill give you the address.
I watched a world renown bowhunter do this, a senior citizen or close to I should add.

Thanks for the feedback Eldon and Hoochie.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I was watching Bowhunter Magazine TV with Larry D. Jones the other day.

He was spot and stalking black bears on Vancouver Island. He stalked up to probably about 15 yards of a small black. After getting some footage he ran straight at it huffing like bears do.

The bear shot straight up the nearest tree. I'm thinking of doing this on smaller bears that I pass up with the rifle this year, for my first stickbow kill.

My question is doesn't that blackie have to make a split second decision to "Fight or Flight". I realize theres probably some danger to it, but do you think it will work or am I going to get my head gnawed on?

90 % of the time they will just run away and I dont think you have to fear a charge to much.Have a gun with you and I would not worry about...
Old 05-17-2009, 12:53 AM

Steve, thanks for this thread. It has made me giggle. Check this link out.....

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-cat-bear.html

I would say, under the right conditions your plan is a good one with a smaller bear. It will choose 'flight' almost every time unless cornered. A big dominante boar could lead to a more adventures outcome!

Ahem...........helmet cam PLEASE!

Tree
Old 05-17-2009, 12:58 AM

Here is a pic of a bear i treed last spring after I passed on it with bow..

Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 PM

i just got back from a bear hunt in bc and the guy who brought me out is a good friend of mine i was shooting my bow and because we were doing alot of drive spoting the bears would hit the bush right away. good thing we had his dogs that he uses to tree hunt cougers. if we seen a bear that we wanted to get a better look at but wouldnt allow us we would release the hounds. we found that the young bears gave us a harder run. the first bear ran for about 5 min at hit the tree about 200 yards off the road she was a older bear. the second bear (i poked) was anchent and our hike in was about 45 min and he ran the dogs for about 15 through some tough swamp and brush. the third bear young one ran down the mountain witch they seldemly do. for 4 killometer and the dogs from the sound of there bark treed it 4 times and it would jump off the tree and they grounded it 3 times by the sound of the fight and war wounds. the bear got sick of being chaced and decided to swim accross trout lake about 3k the dogs still tried to follow but we cought up to them in time. the fourth bear another young one went down again and we lost the dogs for 7 hours because the bear wouldnt tree. or the dogs got off his sent and cought another sent. what my budy told me is a bear doesnt tree like a cat if the dogs a to close to the cat it trre right away but on a bear if they are to close then the bear doesnt have time to stop and climb the tree where a cat will just jump
Old 05-18-2009, 08:46 PM

here some pics