Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 12:02 PM

Default Hawiian goat hunting

The family and I went on our first vacation in 6 years. We rented a condo in Kehei, Hawaii on Maui Isalnd. Not being a sandy beach kinda guy i started looking for a couple adventures to go on. I looked up hunting guides online and found some local goat hunting. I booked my hunt with Maui Hunting Safari. 7am the morning of, Rodney and his wife picked me up at my condo and we were off to the ranch for the day. the drive was about an hour and a half and we talked about past hunts and the hunting community on Maui.

As soon as we turned onto the property road, we started seeing game. A small pog ran across the trail and we saw a few nannies grazing on a nearby ridge. a couple axis deer does were hiding on a ridge further up the trail. I knew it would be an eventful day!

Just inside the first gate into the hunting area the guide spots a billy looking over some rocks. It wasn't a huge one, but the guide said we should wait and see if any other ones would show up. the longer we stared at the hill side the more goats we could see and we spotted a big guy bedded down in the brush. after a 30 minute wait the herd got spooky and took off so we geared up and started our first stalk of the morning. we caught up to the heard and tried to setup on them a few different times, but between the trees, rocks and brush they were always just out of reach. we sneaked up to the edge of an open area and spotted the billy at the other end of it and the guide put out the tripod for me. as the billy stepped into a small shooting lane between two trees, I planted him with one shot!

We got our pictures, quartered him up and packed him back to the truck. after we got to the ranch house we grabbed the side by side and went for a cruise down a smaller trail and it wasnt long before we bumped a couple smaller billy's off the trail. the guide knew there was a small draw in there that holds goats and pigs most days so we snuck into the bush to see if we could get onto a nice managment goat. a slow stalk in and we started hearing the goats making some flock noises and we got to a vantage point to see what was there. the guide pointed out another black billy for me just as the herd started to spook. as the billy tried to leave up the trail he came up an open grassy knoll and i let hi have it. the shot was a little far farward so we moved up abd ended him quick with a kinfe poke to the heart and lungs.

part of the deal with the land owner is the guide has to shoot so many management axis deer does to keep the population low enough. so we went on the search for my managment doe.

we went for a ride down longer trail and saw some more goats and another pig ran across the trail ahead of us. the guide spotted a deer on a ridge off in the distance so we kitted up and started the hunt. we snuck through waist high grass and started closing the distance when a deer busted right in front of us and was gone. we stayed put to see if any others got up from the cover and i looked to my right just as one stood up. the guide said shoot! so i put the cross hairs right on the shoulded and pulled the trigger. the deer didnt even flinch and took off. I felt good about the shot and the guide said he heard the bullet smack it, but i had never seen a doe take off so unphased before on a good shot. it took us a while but we finally found a small spec of blood and we were on the trail. the shot was good and only 20 yards down the trail the doe was piled up in the long grass! it was amazing how well it was camoflauged! we were 3 yards from it before we could see it. We skinned the doe and butchered the meat and then packed up and started the drive back to the ranch house and then onto the highway and back to the condo.

I would book a hunt again in a heartbeat with Maui Hunting Safari. its a great way to spend a day and the scenery is top notch!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2018, 12:17 PM

Wow that is awesome!!! I know what I will be doing next time we head that way.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:20 PM

Great story and photos. This is what I would consider a Hawaiian vacation.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Great post. Thanks - I am putting this on my list for the next trip to Maui.

Alba gu brath!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:37 PM

Congrats on the Good Time and Great Animals.
What kind of a procedure is it to get Cape and Horns home , as well as meat , unless that goes to a charity.
Thanks.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Congrats on the Good Time and Great Animals.
What kind of a procedure is it to get Cape and Horns home , as well as meat , unless that goes to a charity.
Thanks.
I took some axis deer meat and the rest of it went to the guides brother in law for a party.

according to the CFIA website you can bring in 22kg of meat and untanned hides from the US. other countries are a different story. the Guide used to run a taxidermist shop as well so ge will boil the skulls for me and take the cores off so i can pack them easier. the website says it is straight forward. hopefully the CBSG person i go to wont give me any trouble. i have brought pig skulls twice before from florida with no issue. as long as you declare and are honest seems like they are pretty good about hunting trophies
Old 01-24-2018, 02:07 PM

Nice pics well done.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I took some axis deer meat and the rest of it went to the guides brother in law for a party.

according to the CFIA website you can bring in 22kg of meat and untanned hides from the US. other countries are a different story. the Guide used to run a taxidermist shop as well so ge will boil the skulls for me and take the cores off so i can pack them easier. the website says it is straight forward. hopefully the CBSG person i go to wont give me any trouble. i have brought pig skulls twice before from florida with no issue. as long as you declare and are honest seems like they are pretty good about hunting trophies

Thanks for the info. I killed some animals in Texas in September and i am going to the border crossing on US side to pick them up soon. Just hoping all my paperwork is good. The taxidermist there prepped hides and skulls and is shipping them by ups for me to pick up.
Hawaii Hunting would be fun. I have a friend going in March to Pigs with Dogs and a spear or something...
I would like to some exotics like you did. An axis is on my list.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:55 AM

Looks like it was a great trip!
Old 01-29-2018, 02:21 PM

That's a great story can I ask cost?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2018, 07:42 PM

Looks like fun. Maybe next we can go with you ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk