Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2022, 07:55 AM

Default flogging the water

I havent had more than a couple opportunities to get out falleye fishing the past 2 years, working on a farm means harvest time is pretty much all there is but now that Im not I decided to head down last night and see how its going.
It was very slow, a couple tugs on my rod using bait, nothing serious. Got out the fly rod and managed a couple fish in the dark. First was a beautiful sauger, 20 1/2 inches and scrappy! Very thick too, might be the heaviest Ive caught so far, just not the longest. Hard for them not to get fat with the schools of Prussian carp hanging out at this spot.
Second and last fish of the night was a surprise! Jumped out of the river and thrashed across the surface so hard I thought Id hooked a pike, turns out I was wrong! Fat and scrappy Prussian, swallowed my fly like its last meal, which it was dont worry about the mud in the pic, it wasnt long for this world anyways, damn invaders.
I got to watch a gorgeous sunset, as usual at this location, then watch Jupiter rising above the hills so bright it was amazing.
Hoping the river cools off soon so the eyes start moving in, a couple more feet of water wouldnt hurt either. for now, still fun! even got to watch a bunch of cattle walk across the river and dissappear into the sunset, if you are looking for your cows let me know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220927_190440.jpg (21.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 20220927_201508a.jpg (7.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 20220927_212333a.jpg (68.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 20220927_205729.jpg (29.5 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 20220927_205630a.jpg (35.8 KB, 200 views)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-28-2022, 08:26 AM

Great sunset pic!
Old 09-28-2022, 09:05 AM
AO Sponsor

Jeez that is a fat prussian!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-28-2022, 09:06 AM

nice sauger good size
Old 09-28-2022, 09:41 AM

real nice sauger
Old 09-28-2022, 11:39 AM

Beauty sauger. That is quite unusual for prussian to grab the fly, well done.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:24 PM
Banned

nice pic's thanks for sharing
Old 09-28-2022, 04:36 PM

Hi Wayne, nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. I would love to catch the Prussians. Any help is appreciated.
Cheers
Old 09-28-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I havent had more than a couple opportunities to get out falleye fishing the past 2 years, working on a farm means harvest time is pretty much all there is but now that Im not I decided to head down last night and see how its going.
It was very slow, a couple tugs on my rod using bait, nothing serious. Got out the fly rod and managed a couple fish in the dark. First was a beautiful sauger, 20 1/2 inches and scrappy! Very thick too, might be the heaviest Ive caught so far, just not the longest. Hard for them not to get fat with the schools of Prussian carp hanging out at this spot.
Second and last fish of the night was a surprise! Jumped out of the river and thrashed across the surface so hard I thought Id hooked a pike, turns out I was wrong! Fat and scrappy Prussian, swallowed my fly like its last meal, which it was dont worry about the mud in the pic, it wasnt long for this world anyways, damn invaders.
I got to watch a gorgeous sunset, as usual at this location, then watch Jupiter rising above the hills so bright it was amazing.
Hoping the river cools off soon so the eyes start moving in, a couple more feet of water wouldnt hurt either. for now, still fun! even got to watch a bunch of cattle walk across the river and dissappear into the sunset, if you are looking for your cows let me know
Oh boy... if you're where I think you are (and you and I've talked about) that is very concerning that the goldfish/carps have entered that body of water. Kill 'em all!!