Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 09:04 PM

Default Blaser r8/ straight pull info

Any fans of a modern straight pull on here? (Yes I have a few 1727F in my collection)
Old 05-19-2024, 08:52 AM

Default Straight pulls

Huge fan of the straight pull designs. I started with a few of the R8’S and had to search further for different styles. That search lead me to he Merkel Helix and the Heym SR30. All unique in their own way, mostly in the lock-up design and the bolt operation.
They all function fine , and is any one faster than the other? Some gun writers claim they can be cycled as fast or faster than a semi-auto. I’ve never seen the need for that much speed in a follow-up shot, but they were mostly designed for driven hog shoots. I guess it would be highly practical for follow ups on predator hunts as well.
For what it’s worth, knowing what I know now, I could have started and finished with the R8. Of all the straight pull designs the R8 is the smoothest operating
And I would even say, the nicest balanced for handling and carrying in the field.
The Merkel Helix is just as fast but a bit “clunky” in the bolt design and I am hung up on how the bolt sticks out too far from the action.
The Heym SR30 works well and the ball bearing lockup obviously works, but to get it all to a working level, I believe they had to “over” size it. I find the action
Quite bulky and the resulting “bulk” through the pistol grip awkward.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:17 AM

Have used the R8 and the Sauer on driven Boar and Deer in Europe. They do cycle quicker than a standard bolt, not near as fast as a good semi-auto however. They also take some practice to get used to and become proficient with. Once you get the hang of it, you can shoot multiple running animals in a row, pretty accurately. Outside of running game, I don't see much upside to them but there is also no real downside as the ones I shot grouped great at 300 yards.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-20-2024 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:37 PM

My dad at one point had an R93 and R8 and I didnt trust myself enough to hunt with it as I wasnt good at running it at the range so figured id choke with it if a big whitey walked out and the "fever" set in...lol

Not newer stuff but a mauser 66 for $2k ish would be an idea too.