Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2009, 12:33 PM

Default Shotgun Slugs

They have opened up a primitive weapons season in my usual zone. I am going to be using a 1 oz. 1700 fps rifled slug from a 12 guage smooth barrel with no choke. Have been out to the range alot and can hit the spot consistantly at 100 yards, much further than that the slug hits the ground quick. Has anyone shot a deer with these before and at 100 yards will it take down a deer? It leaves a huge hole in the wood at the range so I think it should work. Of course I will try for no less than 80 yards but what if the big one is at 100 should I take him? What does a slug do to a deer? Will it pass through?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM

I've taken a few with slugs. Some passed through, some didn't. All of the deer dropped on the spot. A doe I dropped one year looked like she had a quarter pushed all the way through her. Big, perfectly round hole. I found some brands to be unreliable. Can't remember which though. They fly all over the place at the end of their ranges. Farthest I've taken an animal with a slug was 80 yards. Closest was 40.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Can't help you now. But I am curious as well.

I mostly bird hunt but I have been bringing along slugs since some of the zones I hunt have general deer tags and I saw a number of deer pre-deer opening.

I spent some time trialing different slugs and chokes at the range during the preseason. My shotgun was happiest w/ Federal Magnum rifled slugs, which on a good day gives 2-3 inch groups at 75yards (3 shot groups). Ballistic charts give it a reasonable energy rating up to 125yards. Of course, like you, I am hoping for 75 yards or less.

Of course, in many US jurisdications slugs for deer are now required by law... so there might be more responses on a US forum.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:01 PM

100 yrds with a rifled slug no problem, animal should barely take a step if hit proper.

The new sabots are amazing took a deer last year at about 170 yrds, dropped on the spot. Of course rifled barrell and scope, but performance was unbelievable

Old 10-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Gone Hunting

First off are you sure that a shotgun and slugs is allowed in the "primative weapons season" in your area?

I have used a saboted slug from a riffled barrel with good success but have never had much luck getting good accuracy from regular slugs out of a smooth bore.

It is always good to do what you are doing and try to make the desision as to weather you will feel good about taking the shot before hand.

If you see a big trophy buck at 100 yards do you feel like it may be ok to take a chance of wounding it?

If you would not shoot at a doe at 100 yards then why would one take a chance shot at a buck?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 AM

Default Primative Weapon season

We are heading down this week to hunt with our shot guns in the primative weapon zone(s). I purchased Remington 11-87 Shur shot, and am shooting Winchester XP3 Saboted slugs out of it. I would have to say 150 yards is VERY achievable. You have to have confidence though so I suggest plenty of time at the range. I am looking forward to this new and exciting hunting oppertunity!! Should be alot of fun.