Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2009, 11:30 AM

Default Youth Pheasant Hunt

My son Marshall and I had planned to make our first trip to the Buffalo Lk pheasant release site for Saturday. At school on Friday Marshall must have shared his weekend plans to his friend Tyler who was also interested in coming out with us. I would never turn down the opportunity to share pheasant hunting with another youth.

So off we went bright and early so that we might beat the masses that I knew was sure to be. It wasn't long into the hunt and Marshall just about stepped on one, as it flushed the wings actually brushed his leg. Unfortunately it did not climb high enough for a safe shot as my GSP Tika was working the tall grass 20 yards in front of Tyler as we moved westerly in a line.

I could already see in both boys eyes they were ready for some action. The bright rooster appeared to be very healthy. I had been disappointed with the quality of the birds over the past couple years as they were slow and very thin. That being said howeer I'm very gratefull for the opportunity to hunt any pheasants this close to home.

We were able to see approximately were it landed and continued in our line until we reached a tree line. We allowed Tika to work the area over well but nothing. Instead of carrying on I told the boys to do a 180 and back track a bit. With two blows of the whistle and a "out front" command Tika swung around and took up a new position in front of us.

There was a small bluff of trees and some tall grass separate from bordering tree line and was exceptional cover a rooster.
As we approached it Tika's posture changed rapidly. Then she locked up like she was frozen and gave us our first of many solid points of the day. With the two boys on either side of me I proceeded into the cover. With only a couple steps in the rooster exploded on Marshall's side. But no shots range out. We were all caught watching the bird, unfortunately not from down the barrel of our guns.

The boys were excited and got the timing down on things after that. As it turned out lady luck was on our side for the rest of the hunt and we had our limit not long after lunch.

I think the expression on their faces tells the rest of the story....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buffalo Lk 2009 (2).JPG (64.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Buffalo Lk 2009 (6).JPG (61.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Buffalo Lk 2009 (8).JPG (69.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Buffalo Lk 2009 (11).JPG (65.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 10-18-2009, 11:55 AM

Nice work! I just spent the morning out there with my lab Ti. He put up 4 birds for me, one was similar to what you describe, no shots, the second one was on the other side of some trees and birds 3 and 4 caught some# 4 and ended up in my game bag. We wrapped up the shooting by 9:00 and were on the road by 10.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Nice work! I just spent the morning out there with my lab Ti. He put up 4 birds for me, one was similar to what you describe, no shots, the second one was on the other side of some trees and birds 3 and 4 caught some# 4 and ended up in my game bag. We wrapped up the shooting by 9:00 and were on the road by 10.
Did you have any trouble with the crowds? I found that we had a lot of room this time out.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:28 PM

i was on the move at first light, and was alone for the first half hour. Bumped into a couple of couples and seen one group a ways off. It was pleasantly quiet.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Great stuff Chad

Congrats Marshall. Quit growing.....you are making me nervous