Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Default Ice Safety Chart

The topic of "Safe Ice" always comes up at the beginning of every Hardwater season.
Here's a link that gives you a "basic guide to Safe Ice Thickness"

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages...formation.aspx

Bear in mind that "No ice is ever Safe Ice". Ice doesn't form evenly and different factors comes in mind when it comes to Ice thickness such as Pressure Ridges, Cracks, etc. Snow even acts as an insulation to keep Ice from forming more.
I've seen at Pine where the Ice was over 2 ft thick and a Truck went over a Pressure crack at Mach 3. The front went over fine, but the Rear end sunk into the crack up to his Axle...
Play it safe Guys and Gal , no fish is worth your life......Have a safe Hardwater season
Old 10-28-2009, 07:04 PM

Thumbs up

Tchow..................thanks for posting very good information
Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 AM

Great little reminder there tchow.
One other thing to remember is to take it slow. Too many people fly over the ice like its a race. Vehicles make a wave under the ice. This can be seen as people drive past you by the water level in your hole fluctuating. If the vehicle passes the wave which is typically ahead it, the ice can crack in the void that is left.
Play safe!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
One other thing to remember is to take it slow. Too many people fly over the ice like its a race.
x 1000000 I hate these guys that figure that because the lake is frozen they can drive Mach 10 anywhere they want. Not only are they a danger to themselves, but also to those around them. But ignorance is bliss I guess...
Old 10-29-2009, 05:15 PM

YUP pressure waves are a fun thing BTW, is it ok to run like He!! back to the shore if your hole is less than 3 inches thick? I dont think I can estimate thickness until I drill thru.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Thumbs up

Awesome Link Terry .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
YUP pressure waves are a fun thing BTW, is it ok to run like He!! back to the shore if your hole is less than 3 inches thick? I dont think I can estimate thickness until I drill thru.
This is why you drill test holes .
Old 10-29-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Awesome Link Terry .

This is why you drill test holes .
I will send you out first, if you dont go thru no way I will my favorite spot is only a couple feet deep til you get right to the honey hole anyways, if I go thru I can just walk out.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I will send you out first, if you dont go thru no way I will my favorite spot is only a couple feet deep til you get right to the honey hole anyways, if I go thru I can just walk out.
Yep . I know even if theres 3 feet of ice i dont feel safe I ither walk on or take the Quad , no more driving on for this fella .
Old 10-29-2009, 08:41 PM

Here's a couple of great Vid's to watch in regards to Ice Safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPd2h9nv_U4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnKtuUTt8k
Old 10-30-2009, 12:28 AM

thanks for the links Terry, not going to let the wife see them, cant get her on the ice as it is first time she hears a crack shes long gone!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 10-30-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
thanks for the links Terry, not going to let the wife see them, cant get her on the ice as it is first time she hears a crack shes long gone!
Once we were at Big Mac with a tent setup. Ice was about 12" and off in the distance, it sounded like the rumbling of Thunder. The sound was coming closer and louder. Next thing we knew, the Ice beneath us shook ! There was 3 of us in the tent and we looked at each other after it passed.
First words that came out was WT#...LOL What an experience that was.
Likely it was an upheave off in the distance and we experienced the shock wave.
Too bad did not have it on Vid as it would have been awesome to show! Good thing it did not cause any pressure cracks or ridges where we were..
Old 10-30-2009, 06:16 PM

Lots of paranoia around! If you know the body of water you're on (ie. know where the soft spots might be) and drive slowly on 12 or more inches, there's no reason to get that life insurance policy before you go. The vast majority of accidents occur from twits flying around unknown locations.

One thing I've always been curious about.. when you're on an aerated lake.. about what distance do you need to be from the aerator to have 4 .. 8.. or 12 inches of ice. I've only ice fished on an aerated body once.. just on foot. There was a good 16 inches under us but nobody dared get any closer to the open water around the aerator... we were about 300 yards away from it. I wonder how much closer the 16 inches would've been maintained.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:21 PM

I was on Sylvan the one time, and a huge crack suddenly appeared right between my legs. with a very loud noise. considering there were probably 100 vehicles right up to a huge motorhome in the area I was pretty nervous. I was catching big perch tho so I stuck around, I figured if the motorhome didnt go thru my butt wasnt going to either

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 10-30-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
Lots of paranoia around! If you know the body of water you're on (ie. know where the soft spots might be) and drive slowly on 12 or more inches, there's no reason to get that life insurance policy before you go. The vast majority of accidents occur from twits flying around unknown locations.

One thing I've always been curious about.. when you're on an aerated lake.. about what distance do you need to be from the aerator to have 4 .. 8.. or 12 inches of ice. I've only ice fished on an aerated body once.. just on foot. There was a good 16 inches under us but nobody dared get any closer to the open water around the aerator... we were about 300 yards away from it. I wonder how much closer the 16 inches would've been maintained.
The only safe way is to drill a bunch of test holes and not to test your luck.
I stay away from fishing Aerated Pot holes. Ice doesn't form evenly and especially when there is continual opening and reforming of Ice happening.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Default Thanks for the updates... tchow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchow View Post
The topic of "Safe Ice" always comes up at the beginning of every Hardwater season.
Here's a link that gives you a "basic guide to Safe Ice Thickness"

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages...formation.aspx

Bear in mind that "No ice is evPlay it safe Guys and Gal , no fish is worth your life......Have a safe Hardwater season er Safe Ice". Ice doesn't form evenly and different factors comes in mind when it comes to Ice thickness such as Pressure Ridges, Cracks, etc. Snow even acts as an insulation to keep Ice from forming more.
I've seen at Pine where the Ice was over 2 ft thick and a Truck went over a Pressure crack at Mach 3. The front went over fine, but the Rear end sunk into the crack up to his Axle...
Play it safe Guys and Gal , no fish is worth your life......Have a safe Hardwater season
Drano

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...